Lawdy 18-Feb-21
Ironbow-cell 18-Feb-21
BOHNTR 18-Feb-21
LKH 18-Feb-21
Lawdy 19-Feb-21
Croixbaby 19-Feb-21
18-Feb-21

Bill in MI's Link
Saw this story about hunting on skis. It made me think of what other unconventional/underutilized methods to try. Bow or rifle- enjoy!

18-Feb-21
Scoot, depends on the weather and what "game" you're chasing.

18-Feb-21
I thought my deer and elk hats were "unconventional" when I started using them 25 years ago. Then I saw a photo of Ishi with one (made from a real deer cape) and discovered it was old news.

18-Feb-21
Waterfowling has a few unconventional methods that are interesting. Check out sculling and marsh skis.

18-Feb-21
I think that's where the biathlon originated from.

18-Feb-21
It kind of blows my mind that a perfectly normal way of getting around in the snow should be considered an “unconventional“ way to hunt… Unless of course, you’ve never seen snow before…

But of course, these days Hunting seems to be more often about sitting in one place than getting out and moving around, covering some territory, so…

18-Feb-21
I’m looking for a fold out moo cow decoy. If I find one, I’m thinking it’s going to be the first time it’s used. Could be wrong though.

I’m being serious too.

18-Feb-21
WV, those are commonly used especially in hunting antelope.

18-Feb-21

Shiras42's Link
Here you go...

18-Feb-21
Montana Decoys: take your pick of Red or Black moo-cows

18-Feb-21
Ask and ye shall receive. Thank you fellas.

18-Feb-21
Does hunting with a vertical bow during archery season count as unconventional yet? I'm sure it does in many of the crossbow states...

18-Feb-21
I think what the boys at The Hunting Public are doing is a little unconventional.

18-Feb-21
Shiras42, I really enjoy watching what The Hunting Public guys are doing too. I often think to myself "Damn, that's a good idea" when I watch their stuff.

18-Feb-21
I have been hunting on skis since back in the mid 80's.

18-Feb-21
I have killed 3 deer I literally ran down using snowshoes in 5 foot deep snow. In 2016 I chased a big buck all day on snowshoes that I clipped with an arrow. Saw him 5 times. I just grazed him. He won, what a tough deer. I ended up miles from my truck and never got back until midnight. That guy ran me from dawn until dark. He deserved to live.

18-Feb-21
There was a article in Bowhunter magazine over 30 years ago about hunting on skis.

18-Feb-21

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo
Standard road hunting vehicle during the Utard Bowhunting season! ??

18-Feb-21
In 1988 during my first year on Adak I spent a week in March hunting caribou on snowshoes. Sherpa snowplows. We could hear water running and the land seemed rather smooth. Wasn't till the next year I found out we had been as much as 60 feet above the ground.

The claw part was critical when we sidehilled along a steep slope long after dark one night. Deep snow, then hard packed glazed stuff. Face uphill and take little side steps.

19-Feb-21
Road hunting is huge up here. I am all for it. Keeps them out of the woods. The wardens have a ball catching them with “robo deer” and the rubber partridge. Up here we call road hunters slob hunters or “slobbers” for short.

19-Feb-21
You mean like hanging used tampons from trees to attract bucks, or wearing a stocking cap that looked like a pronghorn, or sleep tethered to a treestand all night, or dragging a full-sized cow elk decoy all over for 10 days through the Ontario wilderness? A guy would have to be off his rocker to do stuff like that;)

• Sitka Gear