txhunter58 20-Feb-21
sitO 20-Feb-21
txhunter58 20-Feb-21
txhunter58 20-Feb-21
txhunter58 20-Feb-21
YZF-88 21-Feb-21
18-Feb-21

Bowboy's Link
House Bill 295 introduced by Representative Casey Snider has been a controversial one. It started out as a conservation piece for some wetland areas regarding laws, management, and creating waterfowl management areas. Now, banning baiting and trail cam use on public land from August 1 through December 31st is also attached to this bill. This has sparked a lot of controversy in the Utah hunting community with a bunch of mixed opinions from all types of hunters.

Ok, so let’s talk about trail cameras. This bill instructs that the wildlife board shall make rules governing the use of trail cameras. This falls under the amended section of the use of a computer or other device to remotely hunt wildlife. Basically, what they propose is to make a trail camera season from Jan 1 to July 31 on public land so there are no cameras in the field during hunting season and slightly beforehand. These restrictions will not affect private land. Some folks have said that trail cameras don’t really help the aid of harvesting a big game animal because there’s so much more to the hunt than a trail camera photo. Others have said they are tired of seeing trail cameras all over public land and when they do see the cameras, they feel like they are encroaching on someone else’s hunting area. There has been a lot of support to ban trail cameras that send real time photos via cell phone signal and some states have already made these illegal, such as Wyoming.

The baiting portion of this bill is aimed at an all out ban. This bill considers any food or nutrient substances that will manipulate the behavior of wildlife bait. Bait does not include chemicals used as an attractant or masking scent. Salt, mineral blocks or other commonly used livestock substances for normal agricultural purposes are also not considered bait. Neither are standing crops or vegetation that has been planted. In short, this bill directly prohibits making an apple or corn pile or licks that are made to attract big game specifically. The majority of baiting is not legal out West and Utah is basically the last place you are able to do it and I think we can agree that hunting over a corn pile does increase success rates.

Some things I look at is that maybe some people think harvest success rates are too high in Utah? Banning baiting could potentially save some big game for the next year and make hunting even that much better. Looking at three year average success rates for limited entry deer and elk on Eastmans’ TagHub I see that they are some of the highest in the West.

The general consensus for writing this bill is that baiting and use of trail cams during hunting season is not fair chase and makes hunting too easy. SFW has come out and supported this bill while the Mule Deer Foundation opposes it. What I don’t like about this bill is that politicians are wanting to make the rules for the hunters of Utah. How about everyone that holds a Utah hunting license in their pocket gets to vote on these issues? More power to the people! What say you?

18-Feb-21
From what I’ve seen, probably needed.

18-Feb-21
P&Y should be onboard with this then.

18-Feb-21
The trail camera portion has already been dropped from the bill, but the baiting portion is moving forward. It will be interesting to see what it will do to the success on Southern Utah units. Most people don’t realize how many of these giant archery bucks are killed over apples.

18-Feb-21

MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
MichaelArnette's embedded Photo
I can’t say I could say it any better than this

19-Feb-21
MichaelArnette X2

19-Feb-21
X3

19-Feb-21
I sent emails out last week in favor of the baiting ban and trail camera restrictions. It gets exponentially worse every year even in the wilderness. I see commercializing instaheros and outfitters packing in cameras and bait piles to get their “hit list” and some likes, subscribers and views with as little effort as possible. If the camera portion has been dropped already, that’s disappointing. Their numbers have relegated them into litter rather than a tool.

19-Feb-21
Totally agree with this bill, and the trail cam part should be put back in. Bait piles, cameras that tell the "Hunter " what time a animal is coming through is not hunting, it's shopping. There was another post on BS talking about trial cams, I posted what P&Y states what they consider fair chase to be, trail cams don't fit in. My question to P & Y is how many entries should be reviewed and thrown out because fair chase wasn't involved? Hunting has become all about the trophy unfortunately and the products are all out there to help the Hunter score that trophy. Maybe this bill is a start to reigning in the insanity and actually putting the hunt back in to hunting.

19-Feb-21
Just curious, what percent of Utah land is public vs. privately owned? And what percentage of Utah hunters are hunting private vs public land?

And a third question, what percentage of *guided* hunts take place on public land?

19-Feb-21
Duplicate

19-Feb-21
I've never used either baiting nor trail camera's other than for camp security pix.

I've drawn 2 LE Bear tags (Utah) and just called and did spot-n-stalk, very exciting.

Good luck, Robb

19-Feb-21
CF

Where have you see that the trail camera part is dropped? I have not seen that anywhere. Please provide a link. Thx

20-Feb-21
CF?

20-Feb-21

sitO's Link
Link to most recent amended bill here, hope other states follow suit.

20-Feb-21
https://le.utah.gov/~2021/bills/static/HB0295.html?fbclid=IwAR1bBcmLZ7-tdCk4hlVD1ePz65hLq2epv7yyt7OpazDDwt8J_zGNRBDrfV8

I hear they even watered it down more. Here is the second amended bill. Doesn’t mentioning outlawing cams. Just tells the wildlife board to make rules restricting them.

20-Feb-21
https://le.utah.gov/~2021/bills/static/HB0295.html?fbclid=IwAR1bBcmLZ7-tdCk4hlVD1ePz65hLq2epv7yyt7OpazDDwt8J_zGNRBDrfV8

I hear they even watered it down more. Here is the second amended bill. Doesn’t mentioning outlawing cams. Just tells the wildlife board to make rules restricting them.

20-Feb-21
Money sure talks, doesn’t it....

21-Feb-21
That’s a joke. A wildlife board full of SFW/MDF current/former members isn’t going to propose real restrictions that would reign in tools outfitters use to ensure success for their high dollar clients or help the InstaFaceTuber’s monitized create a hit list (and screw up natural patterns with bait piles to boot).

The reason legislation is required for this type of thing in Utah is because this place is the poster child for private companies lining their pockets using a public resource under the guise of “conservation”.

• Sitka Gear