RJ Hunt 31-Mar-22
Grey Ghost 31-Mar-22
RJ Hunt 31-Mar-22
midwest 31-Mar-22
No Mercy 31-Mar-22
Bob 31-Mar-22
t-roy 31-Mar-22
21-Feb-21
...and I told her besides her bow one of the most important tools she will have will be her knife so she will need to go out to the shop with me and we can pick out the steel type she will want her knife made out of (I am a knife maker btw). We talked all the different benefits of what steels offer, stainless, high carbons, tool steels and such. In the end she picked out a bar of Elmax (one of my favorites also) and we proceeded to go over pattered and blade/handle shapes and pros and cons of each. All that aside... I am making a knife, for my daughter, with my daughter, I will post updated here if you all want to see our progress as we make it. Thanks guys and stay warm.

21-Feb-21
That’s great.. And good for you taking the time to teach her about the process.

21-Feb-21
Thanks. I can’t wait to work on it with her. I will post up pics as we go.

21-Feb-21
Sounds like a great project to get in some quality time together, for both of you! Congrats to your daughter on passing her H.E. class as well.

I would definitely be interested in following along on the knife making process.

21-Feb-21
RJ, If you had to guess, starting from scratch like you are, how many hours would you estimate that you and your daughter will have in this project?

21-Feb-21
Congrats. Teaching your daughters to hunt is the best.

21-Feb-21
Thats awesome. If everybody put in the time like that with their kids, in whatever hobby they are into, what a better world it would be. Good on you, congrats to her!!!

21-Feb-21
I would love to see the process. Please share as much as you can.

21-Feb-21
Thanks guys. On the time we will spend working on it. I will drag it out as long as I can. She said to me when we started “can I ask a question?”

I said.... “ask away honey.... I want a million of em” I am a blessed man gents.

So that said I will try to drag it out til hunting season. Hehe.

21-Feb-21
We were able to cut, grind and file the knife to the desired profile last night. After we talked about blade shapes, benefits and uses. We then grabbed the sharpie and went to designing handle shape and colors as she picked out.

21-Feb-21

21-Feb-21
Excellent !

21-Feb-21

21-Feb-21
My pictures have been removed.

21-Feb-21
What the heck? Hopefully they r back soon

21-Feb-21
I removed them.

21-Feb-21
Ziek,

That was a Asshole thing to say!

What's your problem man? You go after a guys daughter?!?!

Yea, You Are A Real Man! Rob is a great guy, a great father and he would knock you on your ass if you said that to his face!!!

Never talk shit about some ones kid! Get a life dude!!!

21-Feb-21
As sexist as it may seem alot of the cooking is still done by women. Having a good set of knives and knowing how to sharpen them and not cut yourself is a great skill. I have a lot of sisters and each one of them was taught how to sharpen a knife and recognized good steel. My daughter will get a good set of knives when she get s a place of her own.

21-Feb-21
Good family stuff right there.

21-Feb-21
Thats awesome. You never know what shared activities will be a favorite memory for a kid a few decades from now. I'm guessing this one is a good candidate.

21-Feb-21

21-Feb-21
Ziek, you treasure your words much more so then most of us. What in the world is wrong with you?

21-Feb-21
Ziek....Why not start your own thread, instead having to crap on what started out as a great thread by a dad that was proud of his daughter’s achievement?

Typical douche move on your part, though.

21-Feb-21
" I just wanted to wake some of you up,"

yup, the wokeness

seems the biggest growth is not women but activist types.... jeep drivers, if you will... lol

21-Feb-21
Or, if this place is so bad, or deplorable, rather...why not head somewhere else? I mean you’re still here so it cant be really bad?

As far as what “she” would be getting into...she isnt the OP. Her dad is....and if you read the posts in response, there was nothing but respect and congratulations. For the record, the thread wasnt going anywhere near a platform for you to spout something other than a congrats for her. You took it upon yourself to blow the thing up. You coulda said congrats without being divisive.... Has nothing to do with politics bro. Just ur own choice on how to conduct yourself....

21-Feb-21
RJ,

You are indeed a blessed man. Please keep us posted on the progress of these knives. Congrats!!

21-Feb-21
Ziek,

On another thread I compared you to a hysterical little Greta Thunberg. I was wrong, and I owe an apology to that youn lady. She's more of man than you are.

21-Feb-21
Congrats man! I think getting your daughter interested in knife making and the outdoors is probably one of your most treasured moments. Congrats again.

21-Feb-21
bowbender x2, on both posts

21-Feb-21
I accidentally read zieks post.

21-Feb-21
Seems to be a great deal of male superiority complex infiltrating bowsite lately. Fathers and daughters do not listen to this crap. Get out and enjoy your time together!

21-Feb-21
Ziek.

It will be interesting who gives you a pass here in the future.

I certainly won't

You are an absolute jerk (for lack of a better word)

21-Feb-21
Congrats to your daughter!!

21-Feb-21
RJ Keep us al informed of the knife progress please

Congrats to tour daughter on all of her accomplishments. She is a joy for sure

25-Feb-21
I RARELY get jealous. Today is one of those times.

25-Feb-21
I don't know how I missed this thread previously, great way to spend quality time with your kids and share your passions with them.

Great work RJ!

26-Apr-21
It sounds great! I'd like my father to teach me his hobby. I think that such things make people closer to each other.

26-Apr-21
Congratulations to you and your daughter RJ.

26-Apr-21
I am happy for you and your daughter. I went through the classes with two of my boys and one daughter. I was grandfathered and didn't have to take the classes. The game warden laughed and said I should be in great shape since I sat through three classes. I hope your daughter has a great time hunting and she will remember how you helped her the rest of her life. My daughter is 63 years old and still tells me thanks.

26-Apr-21
Somehow I missed this post the first time around. Maybe some pics of the knife will be posted when it’s complete.

Good for you and your daughter - good times and good memories!

26-Apr-21
Missed it first couple times too! Back to the top please! I would like to see those pics.

If you took them off because of Ziek...(I didn't see what he said)...don't care to either. Please don't let him ruin it for you. Love to see how this project is coming along.

24-Mar-22
I would like to see pictures of the knife too, what a wonderful activity. My youngest and I decided to take a stab (!) at knife making a couple years ago. What we produced was more like a prison shank. But it was fun, and in the process we came to own an angle grinder—best money I ever spent, and don’t know how I got half way through life without one. Your daughter is lucky to be taught by a dad who knows what he’s doing!

24-Mar-22
Nice,,, many years ago I taught Hunters Safety in Wis, when I was young,,, I loved it,,, congrats

31-Mar-22
Sorry guys. I pulled the pics and such as a troll got ahold of the thread and I decided I wasn’t gonna play his game. That said. I will post up a pic. We worked out a design together and we came up with the knife I now call my alpine and has been one of my most popular.

31-Mar-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
Here we are in the design phase figuring out what blade shape she wanted and getting it to the point she liked it

31-Mar-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
We decided in Elmax and will harden it to about 62HRC and at that hardness it will have no problems taking an elk apart on a single edge. This is her finished knife

31-Mar-22

RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
RJ Hunt's embedded Photo
The design has evolved a bit and I still make them today. Here is a pair I made for a fellow bowsiter for his hunt and are in s90v steel.

31-Mar-22
Beautiful work, RJ!! And congrats to your daughter.

I'm a bit of a knife collecting nut, and I've always wanted to make one of my own, so I was really hoping to see a bit more of the actual process involved, especially the heat treating. No worries, though, it probably isn't wise to disclose all your trade secrets. ;-)

Again, beautiful work.

Matt

31-Mar-22
Grey ghost….

I was debating doing another thread on making. I did one a couple years ago and will see if I can dig it up for you

31-Mar-22
Nice work and thanks for passing it on!

31-Mar-22
Beautiful piece of artwork there! Congrats to you both!

31-Mar-22
Beautiful knives, great workmanship

31-Mar-22
Glad you brought this thread back up, RJ Hunt!

The project turned out great! A terrific father/daughter project you both will remember for life!

• Sitka Gear