Brotsky 22-Feb-21
butcherboy 22-Feb-21
jmail20 23-Feb-21
Dino 23-Feb-21
tkjwonta 23-Feb-21
jmail20 24-Feb-21
GF 24-Feb-21
21-Feb-21
Have a bear tag in addition to caribou for Alaska this fall. Should I kill one what are some mount or rug options other than full body? I was thinking a skull mount and have the rest of the hide tanned. Thoughts? Would love to see some pics. Thanks!

21-Feb-21
Following...

21-Feb-21

yeager's embedded Photo
yeager's embedded Photo
yeager's embedded Photo
yeager's embedded Photo
yeager's embedded Photo
yeager's embedded Photo
I have shot four black bears........one full body mount, two rugs, and one tanned hide, along with their skulls.

21-Feb-21

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo

21-Feb-21
Black Bear or Brown/Grizzly Bear?

Rugs are an easy option to have done. Skull work with beetles is always a better result than boiling.

Be sure you keep the Penis Bone if you harvest a boar. I have rugged and half-life sized black bears.

Honestly trophy Brown Bears are way too much animal to do much with unless you have a huge game room (life sized decent Mount is at least $6k), rugs on anything over 8’ take up a vast amount of floor or wallspace.

21-Feb-21

Dave B 's embedded Photo
Dave B 's embedded Photo
Dave B 's embedded Photo
Dave B 's embedded Photo
My taxi just sent me pix of my Wisconsin bear. I wavered on the full body mount, but when you get a booner you kinda have to right?

21-Feb-21

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
My daughters bear rug.

21-Feb-21

BOHNTR's embedded Photo
BOHNTR's embedded Photo

21-Feb-21

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
I think shoulder mounts are underrated...

21-Feb-21

BC's embedded Photo
Pretty standard but a cool mount.
BC's embedded Photo
Pretty standard but a cool mount.

21-Feb-21

Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
Zebrakiller's embedded Photo
This is my favorite in my house have about 10 different ones but like this one alot

22-Feb-21

pappy's embedded Photo
pappy's embedded Photo

22-Feb-21

pappy's embedded Photo
pappy's embedded Photo

22-Feb-21
Heck of some nice animals there pappy

22-Feb-21

altitude sick's embedded Photo
altitude sick's embedded Photo
If you want to display the skull. I had this Honey Badger skull bronzed.

22-Feb-21
Beautiful mounts guys, thanks! Definitely getting a skull mount but not sure what else. Wonder how a skull and the feet with claws mounted on a board would look?

22-Feb-21
Bou bound! That shoulder/half mount of yours looks awesome.

22-Feb-21
Rug mounts are nice but tend to be quite a bit more expensive than a shoulder mount. Half mounts look nice if you have the room and the money to have it done.

22-Feb-21

Shiras42's embedded Photo
Shiras42's embedded Photo
I am going to case skin the next one. I just skinned these, had them tanned and hung them with the skulls on a shelf.

22-Feb-21
“ rugs on anything over 8’ take up a vast amount of floor or wallspace.”

Pshoot... I have that problem with my Elk hide....

I always figured that if I were to get a medium-sized bear, I’d case it.... and wear it as a coat... Bear-claw toggles would be a good alternative to buttons.

Pretty sure it’d need some alterations, though. A bear as scrawny as I am wouldn’t hardly be worth shooting

;)

22-Feb-21
I only have a couple of rugs. If I was going to do a mount it would be life size. For some reason I am not a fan of half or shoulder mounts on bears.

22-Feb-21

22-Feb-21
And FWIW, I like Shug’s shoulder mount....

But I sure would love to see the surveillance video on the burglar who stumbles into Pappy’s trophy room just as a passing car’s headlights come through that window...

22-Feb-21
I really like your skins hanging idea Matt!

22-Feb-21

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
I’m doing a wall pedestal with my Brownie I shot last spring. Closed mouth. Waiting on the tannery for the cape.

22-Feb-21

They do not make a commercial form yet so it has to be custom made.

22-Feb-21

I’m excited because my bear is a lot lighter and I think it is going to be pretty nice.

22-Feb-21
That looks awesome Scott. If I ever decide to shoot another bear I'd definitely like something like that.

22-Feb-21
Whatever you do, don’t do an open mouth snarling type on a black bear. It’s not a natural pose for a black bear. Only open mouth I would do is a partial open like it’s panting. If not a rug then a shoulder mount or 1/2 life size. I like the wall pedestal idea. You could get a 1/2 life size manikin and alter it to a wall pedestal pretty easily or add more foam onto a shoulder manikin and shape it.

23-Feb-21

jmail20's embedded Photo
jmail20's embedded Photo
My favorite 1/2 mount

23-Feb-21
O man ! Jmail! Sweet mount.

23-Feb-21
^Agreed. Jmail, that is a beautiful bear and an awesome mount. I really like the closed mouth look on black bears as well.

The coolest one I've ever seen was about 10 years ago at the Utah hunting expo. It was a full body mount black bear that was seated next to a pond and I believe it was reaching up toward a bee hive that was hanging from a limb above the pond. I'm sure it was prohibitively expensive to create, but definitely captured the nature of a black bear.

24-Feb-21
Thanks guys! The mount was done by Brad Minshull at Prairieland Taxidermy in Manitoba, The man is a true artist and does incredible work.

24-Feb-21

GF's embedded Photo
Classic humor
GF's embedded Photo
Classic humor

• Sitka Gear