Lawdy 27-Feb-21
GF 27-Feb-21
Realwarrior 27-Feb-21
Highlife 27-Feb-21
Inshart 28-Feb-21
GF 01-Mar-21
Tonybear61 01-Mar-21
23-Feb-21
This was on Eastmans blog by Dan Pickar. I guess we can call her Mrs. Tread well.

Just when you think you’ve seen and heard it all, this happens. A lady at the Solitude Subdivision in Jackson, Wyoming was reported by neighbors for feeding grizzly bears. When Game and Fish confronted this individual, whose identity has been protected, she told the wardens that they are a “bunch of wimps” and that the bears are her babies. At the base of her deck sat five grizzly bears calming munching away on grain. The bears were four sub-adult cubs and the National Park Service’s sweetheart, sow #399.

You heard that correctly, she refers to the bears as her “babies” and even more interestingly, she’s been feeding grizzly bear #399 for several years now including many sets of #399’s offspring. Officers gathered evidence that could potentially lead to a violation of the Endangered Species Act. The woman said for them not to worry because she has an “aura” that allows her to communicate with animals and not be attacked. Although if she did get attacked, she said she would be “ok” with dying.

Here’s the catch. She insists the grain is for moose, not bears. She’s simply feeding the moose and the grain is laced with medicine for what she described as conjunctivitis. Feeding moose, elk, and deer is legal in the state of Wyoming although the general public is discouraged from doing so. Over a month later the District Attorney’s office said they would have a “difficult time convicting” her of feeding grizzly bears because she stated that she placed the food for the moose, not the bears. She told the officers that the grizzly bears “came to her” when they needed help and that she administers drugs to the wildlife even though she knows it’s not legal.

The investigation was initialized when grizzly bear #962 (offspring of #399) spent two weeks in the subdivision according to a GPS tracking collar. #962 and #964 were grizzly #399’s offspring from years past and frequented the same subdivision regularly. In 2016, grizzly bear #802 (who was later destroyed) was getting into trouble and had been tracked to the same neighborhood. There are eight grizzly bears getting into feed at the Solitude home site according to the current investigation. One Solitude Subdivision board member claimed that “In my 25 years in Solitude, we’ve never had bear problems like we are having this fall and winter.” Another resident told a story of being chased in the neighborhood by a grizzly. The resident was able to run away from the bear and it eventually lost interest.

The wildlife feeder agreed to let two officers in her home, in which they noticed many dogs, cats, and rodents kept in cages. There were many cans of feed stored and the officers also reported the woman kept a collection of bear poop which was stored on cookie sheets! The officers had a two hour conversation with the lady explaining that she controlled the fate of these bears since she continuously feeds them. As of now all the Game and Fish can do is focus on education since there is nothing they can enforce.

Looking back at 2020, grizzly bear conflict was on par with years past. 49 bears were either found dead or killed in the Northern Rockies ecosystem. 28 of them were problem bears that were euthanized by officials. A total of five grizzlies were hit by vehicles. There were at least seven documented grizzly bear attacks by June 26 in 2020. Officials blame it on increased recreation outside the park because the park was closed for part of 2020 due to Covid. Interestingly enough, there were no documented attacks or deaths during hunting season, a first since 2007. So be safe out there, I fully encourage everyone to carry bear spray and a gun when out in grizzly country, leave the grain at home.

23-Feb-21
There should be a law against turning grizzly bears into democrats.........

23-Feb-21
Is feeding wildlife in Wyoming legal? According to this, it is illegal.

SECTION 6.04. 180: Feeding wild animals prohibited-Exceptions-Penalty. (a) It is unlawful for any person to knowingly or intentionally provide supplemental feed to the following wild animals and fowl: deer, antelope, elk, moose, turkeys, ducks, geese, pigeons, coyotes, bears, wolves, foxes, raccoons, and skunks.

23-Feb-21
Yes it is legal here... But baiting for hunting is not!!!

23-Feb-21
Bob, not according to Section 6.04.180. So are you saying that a person can spread out food for wildlife, ie the above species, as long as they are not hunting over it?

23-Feb-21
It’s people like this wack-job lady that give me nightmares. Her actions and the actions of people like her will someday end up getting someone’s kids or family killed.

You habituate bears, you should be hit with sticks until you stop.

23-Feb-21
LOL@ drycreek!

23-Feb-21
Wait until a neighbor gets mauled or killed. They'll own her house as a result of the lawsuit, and this feeding wild animals thing will go away in that community.

23-Feb-21
It's illegal to feed medicated feed

23-Feb-21
“ Over a month later the District Attorney’s office said they would have a difficult time convicting’ her of feeding grizzly bears because she stated that she placed the food for the moose, not the bears. ”

Isn’t that like having a difficult time getting an arson conviction because the arsonist was “just burning brush”.... that just happened to be piled at the DA’s back porch?

So much for believing it's only the coasts and the big cities where everyone has been stripped of every vestige of common sense...

23-Feb-21
And I’m going to say that I was proud of my 18-year-old when I told him about this chick and the first thing out of his mouth was “and how’s that working out for the neighbors?”

23-Feb-21
So it seem with more reading on this subject, while illegal in Wyo, no one is enforcing it.ie, local, state or federal.

23-Feb-21
But she IS illegally drugging an endangered species.

S

M

H....

And these bears she’s habituating.... when they need to be destroyed as a matter of Public Safety... Shouldn’t she be prosecuted for causing the death of an endangered animal???

Rhetorical question, to be sure, but where is the Pro-Hunting organization that will demand accountability??

23-Feb-21
Drycreek....how would you feel about turning grizzly bears ONTO democrats??!!

23-Feb-21
Ironically am watching Lake Placid right now with Betty White feeding a cow to a giant croc...8^)

23-Feb-21
maybe the griz will eat her azz.

23-Feb-21

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
Woods Walker's embedded Photo

24-Feb-21
No doubt her neighbors are not happy with her pets!

Whole new meaning to Stay off my Grass!

Good luck, Robb

24-Feb-21
Maybe she’s taming them so they can work for Coke a Cola, since the Polar bears are too white to be used in anymore of their advertisements ?

24-Feb-21
Lmaooooo

24-Feb-21
A fed bear is a dead bear. -C.J. Box.

24-Feb-21
Seams she is just the right bear away from winning the 2021 Darwin Award!

24-Feb-21
She'll end up like Treadwell with that attidude (or god forbid a neighbor...)

24-Feb-21
So we're just over looking the, "...the woman kept a collection of bear poop which was stored on cookie sheets! " statement?

What the hell?! Is bear poop good table fare?

24-Feb-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo

24-Feb-21
They should send the 'giraffe woman' over to RIP the heart out of one of those bears!!

24-Feb-21
The feeding of wildlife in Teton County is strictly prohibited. This includes supplying attractants that are human food, pet food, hay, forage product or supplement, grain, seed, salt licks, birdseed, garbage or salt licks to the following animals: Antelope. Bears, deer, elk, etc.

24-Feb-21
Game and Fish Regional Supervisor Brad Hovinga said that, short of wildlife feeding being criminalized in the state, his staff's hands are tied.

"Like any other wildlife feeding operation in the county, we don't have any authority to do anything about it," he said. "We try to focus on education."

Teton County, which has prohibited wildlife feeding through its land development regulations, is another governmental entity that could take enforcement action against the feeder, who has been the subject of numerous complaints. Multiple calls to the county's code compliance officer, Josh Butteris, have not been returned.

While grizzly bears have denned for the winter, wildlife feeding at Solitude Subdivision persists.

On Tuesday afternoon, at least four moose and a mule deer now occupied the yard where Grizzly 399, her four cubs and other grizzlies have previously gorged on grain.

24-Feb-21
I wonder if I would rather get between 399 and her cubs, or a cow moose and her calf???

I guess I’m going to have to choose to believe here that the state is unwilling to make a martyr out of this woman; maybe it works out better for almost everybody if something really hits the fan and John Q Public comes to realize that maybe tolerating that kind of behavior isn’t such a good idea?

I just feel bad for whoever it is who has to pay the cost of setting everybody straight on this…

24-Feb-21
Looney Tunes.

25-Feb-21
BUT: these folks are leaving CA and are invading the midwest? With a pocket full of money.

25-Feb-21

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
One of my good friends and old room mate at the University of Wyoming lives very close to this person.

On a side note I was up in the Jackson area between Christmas and New Years and saw and photographed 399 and her four cubs as they headed to their denning area.

Here's a photo of the five of them.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

27-Feb-21
I agree Paul seems plenty of ground for prosecution. ?? Powerful people live around there. Does anyone know the timeframe of this? I figrd #399 & cubs were denned up as the last account I had of her she was really close to her typical den and that's been several weeks ago.

27-Feb-21
Great pic Bill!

27-Feb-21
In soon to be recent news....."Ms. Treadwell" ended up as bear poop.

27-Feb-21
She very well could become a steaming pile of bear shit.

27-Feb-21
You mean Literally, as opposed to just figuratively?

But you know, she DID say she’d be OK with that....

I’m just looking at those for a Cubs and wondering how many pounds of protein are required on a daily basis to keep that family up and running.....

27-Feb-21
Her mental state is, in my opinion, the reason for lack of prosecution. Would you want to present her statements to a jury and then ask them to convict her?

27-Feb-21
Yes I would .

28-Feb-21
Just another typical liberal who doesn't give a rip about anyone but herself - no big deal if one of her neighbors gets taken by a griz - not her fault!

And when one of them kills the neighbors dog or is up on their deck pushing on the patio door looking for a picnic basket and gets shot and killed the game warden sure as he!! will prosecute that person for shooting a federally protected animal.

01-Mar-21
Paw Prints on the window = DLP.

Just saving the state the cost of the shell at this point, ‘cuz it’s a Fed Bear.... Only one foreseeable outcome.

01-Mar-21
Focusing on education: "...see that dead woman over there, don't feed the bears. End of today's lesson. Any questions class?"

• Sitka Gear