Michael 25-Feb-21
WV Mountaineer 25-Feb-21
Z9_MA 25-Feb-21
Will 25-Feb-21
hunt'n addict 25-Feb-21
Scooby-doo 27-Feb-21
JC3 04-Mar-21
24-Feb-21
New Saddle Hunter here and I just tried a friend’s Predator platform by Tethrd. But at size 14/15 boot, depending on season, I noticed changing to my weak side for a shot was a bit of challenge with my boot size.

Curious to any pros or cons between the Predator vs the Predator XL. Maybe its just due to inexperience and it was only my 2nd time on a platform. And, if there are any tall Saddle Hunters out there, would really welcome their feedback highly.

From Tethrd’s website, I know the XL Platform: 15.25 × 13 × 3in (4lbs) AND the original Platform: 11.75 × 11.75 × 3 in (3lbs).

Thanks in advance, rickO

24-Feb-21

24-Feb-21
Check out the Trophyline Mission.

24-Feb-21
Z9. I wear a 10.5 and I have the predator. I couldn’t imagine having a larger boot with that platform, but I’m sure guys can make it work.

If it was me, I would probably go to the xl.

Good luck!

25-Feb-21
Thank you for commenting on my Tethrd platform topic.

I checked out the Trophyline Mission platform. Real good size platform at 17.9" x 13.8". The weight is heavier than Tethrd’ platforms at 5.4 lbs.

With Tethrd’s platforms, it’s 3 lbs vs 4 lbs. I like the lighter weight for packing in. And when attaching a platform to a tree, I am thinking it may be easier to attach the smaller platform. Just don’t know the difference that is why I am posting.

Bottom line, I guess it’s a trade off when choosing a platform.

Back on topic - Shot taking: I had no problem with the other three types of shots maneuvering on the original Predator platform. It was just pivoting on the platform was a little awkward. But again, it was 1st time with a bow, 2nd time ever on a platform so maybe it’s just inexperience.

25-Feb-21
As Nick stated, if you want a bigger platform, buy the mission.

Also, when making the turn for that weak side shot, don’t adjust your tether length. If you will just turn into the tether with your draw arm, without adjusting slack out, the length will be perfect to hold you across the chest by the tether.

Look up the Hunting public video where tetherd is demoing a saddle for them. It’ll explain it really well and show you how to do it.

25-Feb-21
Thanks WV. I had seen that video and just rewatched. Attaching link below: c/~16:10 time mark for that tip

https://youtu.be/8iT9NRTfUYY

25-Feb-21
Hanging that small platform is a breeze, but wouldn’t think the xl would be much harder.

I did the rope mod so maybe you can make up some weight there.

I don’t know what your using for sticks but there is another place you can cut weight.

I think the most important thing is being confident in your setup so it’s the last thing you have to think about when that shot comes.

25-Feb-21
Hanging that small platform is a breeze, but wouldn’t think the xl would be much harder.

I did the rope mod so maybe you can make up some weight there.

I don’t know what your using for sticks but there is another place you can cut weight.

I think the most important thing is being confident in your setup so it’s the last thing you have to think about when that shot comes.

25-Feb-21
You need to be able to make that shot - just about guaranteed that Mr. Big will come in from your weak side, lol! I practiced and practiced that shot this past summer and of course that’s where he came from. Thankfully I was ready. I wear a size 11 hunting boot - I wouldn’t want anything bigger with my normal sized Phantom. A pound is barely noticeable. I’d go with the bigger platform. Lonewolf Custom Gear has the Kuhnert saddle platform that looks good as well but I haven’t tried it.

Lee

25-Feb-21
I have a predator platform and wear a size 12.5 boot. It does fine but would buy the XL if I was faced with needing to buy new platform.

Definitely watch the Hunting public videos they did with the Tetherd guys like WV said.

25-Feb-21
If the additional weight of the larger platform is an issue, go to you tube and type in “2 tether climbing system”. Mine weighs like 9 ounces with tube. 17.5 ounces total with a leg band.

It’s a quick, safe, easy way to climb. And, it’ll pack down small when carrying. Like in your pocket small. And weighs hardly anything. Give them a look see

25-Feb-21
All good stuff. Thanks guys and congrats Lee on Mr. Big!

And WV, googled 2 tether climbing system and watched a couple of the videos, real cool.

25-Feb-21
Z9... Where are you in MA (PM if easier)... I'm also Z9 based in MA... I really like my Predator. I have a 10.5 foot/boot size. It worked solidly with my 10.5 Muck's late season and Burley's early season last year... I have pondered getting an XL, but not essential, it would just be a bit more space. If I had feet like yours, I'd probably go XL.

25-Feb-21
I have the XL and do no t have any problems with hanging it. I really don’t understand why the XL would be any harder to hang than the standard. I bought the XL because it was only $20 more I think, and I read a few complaints about the smaller platform of the standard.

27-Feb-21
I have an OOAL Ridge Runner XL that for a people with big feet size 12 or larger would be ideal. Its for sale as I am going a different route! Shawn

04-Mar-21
Look into a JX3 saddle. No worries about foot size as there is no platform, only a ring of steps. Go to saddlehunter.com to learn about the JX3 saddle.

• Sitka Gear