Drnaln 28-Feb-21
Lawdy 28-Feb-21
DL 01-Mar-21
Bou'bound 01-Mar-21
DanaC 01-Mar-21
DanaC 01-Mar-21
Lawdy 01-Mar-21
25-Feb-21
LOL, I figured I would wake you all up!! with the season pretty much over I figured we needed a little excitement.

25-Feb-21
Where have you been?

25-Feb-21
Why woild that wake evefryone up I hear they are about the same as using a compound !

25-Feb-21
To stir the pot: everyone should buy a double-barrel Excalibur!

25-Feb-21
You might want to hold off on that purchase for a bit. I have heard next year's models will have MOA accuracy to 500 yards, and no recoil.

25-Feb-21

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
My vote

25-Feb-21
Trump shoots a Ravin Biden shoots a Big Bill Buspice Excalibur.Still bored? :)

25-Feb-21
I thought Trump shot the 'Capitol Riot Instigator' model?

Just kidding guys, lighten up Francis!

25-Feb-21
Doesn't matter as long as you use a vortex broadhead :)

25-Feb-21

Lee's embedded Photo
Lee's embedded Photo

25-Feb-21

Lee's embedded Photo
Lee's embedded Photo

25-Feb-21
lol, Now Raven says fastest bow ever!!! That is not a bow LOL, Joke? Before they said meet your new rifle, must have changed after seeing many bringing it up.

25-Feb-21
Perfect for my upcoming Giraffe hunt. Sorry, couldn't resist :)

25-Feb-21
That ravin 29 thing is a steal at $2,500 or more

25-Feb-21

WI Shedhead's embedded Photo
WI Shedhead's embedded Photo

25-Feb-21

Hopeless's embedded Photo
Hopeless's embedded Photo

25-Feb-21
I am amused but on the serious side I bought an inexpensive crossbow and hunted with it. I prefer my vertical bows but some injuries take time to heal. I would rather enjoy the woods with a crossbow on my lap than sit at home and dream about hunting.

25-Feb-21
What brand does Bernie shoot?

25-Feb-21
I'm with Trump Jr. I shoot a Ravin. I can't pull my recurve or compound any more at nearly 79 years old. The good thing for the deer is I don't shoot nearly as many deer these days, just enough for my freezer. However, when I shoot the Ravin it is a dead deer every single time. I was never a shotgun hunter, always used a bow but next season is bad news for the deer. I just bought a Ruger Ranch rifle 350 legend which is now legal in my state. I still won't shoot any more deer, just enough for my freezer and possibly a friend's freezer.

25-Feb-21
Guess that’s what happens some genius tee’s up a thread for spiking! Nice going.

25-Feb-21
The memes are all in good fun. I imagine if I tear my shoulder up I’ll be using one as well. No way would I give up hunting.

With that being said I do think a hunter that is capable of bowhunting shouldn’t be allowed to use one during archery season. I live in IL and 3 years ago they opened them up full season to everyone. 50/50 on the harvest in 3 seasons crossbow vs vertical bow. IL even lowered the minimum poundage for vertical bows to 30 lbs.

My .02

Lee

25-Feb-21

skull's embedded Photo
skull's embedded Photo
I’m in love with the new vertical crossbow

25-Feb-21
Memes skewed to directory insult someone’s sexuality are NEVER in good fun, they are intentionally what they are. Something one might expect in a middle-school locker room.

25-Feb-21
Lighten up Francis, you got your horn in a spiral?

25-Feb-21
I bought a crossbow and tried it in Michigan. Hated it. I will shoot a muzzle loader or rifle when the time comes.

25-Feb-21
Same plan. Any of us lucky enough to live a long life will have a decent chance of seeing the day when we can't pull enough bow for hunting. If that day comes for me, I will spend more time in rifle or muzzleloader season. I can do more hunting with a handgun and I have a lever 38-55 that needs some time in the woods. I don't get folks who say they can no longer hunt if they can't draw a bow. They may choose not to hunt. Yes, bow season is often a better overall season but I'll adjust.

25-Feb-21
Don't call me Francis! Any of you call me Francis and!

25-Feb-21
I see that crossbows are getting closer and closer to the shape of suppositories.

25-Feb-21
Crossbows are for sissies. I'm getting a new air bow :)

26-Feb-21
so much for the "why would you post things just to provoke people" crowd...

26-Feb-21
I always get the giggles when all these guys who shoot wheelie bows get their panties in a bunch over crossbows. How many of you would still be "bow hunting" if the laws were changed to only allow stick bows? Grow up guys. TMBB

26-Feb-21
Bow and arrow hunting is on the decline, scoped crossbow hunting is on the increase.

26-Feb-21
If you are interested in crossbows, you came to the right site.

26-Feb-21
"if the laws were changed to only allow stick bows I am shooting a stickbow now. Gave up on everything else with full inclusion and went back to a stick. Some are lazy and weak, some strive for challenge and strength.

26-Feb-21
Whoa, so Ravin has a electronically cocked xbow coming out? That's wild. I can see the person, tapping the button over and over... Then with deep regret, realizing they forgot to charge the battery.

Lets be real though... Without this dude from "the slingshot channel" on YouTube, no crossbow thread is complete:

26-Feb-21
You anti crossbow hunters really should quit wearing camo. It just makes it too easy and unfair for the animals. Those water proof boots gotta go too, way way too easy.

26-Feb-21
Can I keep my range finder?

26-Feb-21

4nolz@work's embedded Photo
4nolz@work's embedded Photo

26-Feb-21
If you are disabled or unable to draw a bow thats fine but admit to the real reason you shoot a crossgun with a scope,it's easy.Heck at least take the scope off.Pretty bad when all the states that said you can't use a magnifying sight on a bow had to change yet another rule for cross bow shooters

26-Feb-21
Hunting with a bow is not hard, hunting with a crossbow is not hard, hunting with a rifle is not hard, the only thing is our egos and expectations get in the way.

26-Feb-21
Some people really are pathetic. Keep patting yourself on the back. I shoot a compound bow but I have a really small wee wee. I shoot a stick bow and I have even a smaller wee wee. Get over yourselves. You are no better then the next hunter.

26-Feb-21

Basil's embedded Photo
Basil's embedded Photo

26-Feb-21

Bowboy's Link
So does that mean I can I enter my animals into the crossbow record book now if I shoot it with a bow?

26-Feb-21
Bowboy, yep! You can have framed certificates on the wall from SCI, B&C, P&Y, ACF, Buckmasters, plus any state you want recognition from!

26-Feb-21
I stopped to pick up a straight fletch nock receiver and they were selling an electric winding crossbow that gives you the gps coordinates of your shot arrow. It uses special arrows, so if it stays in the animal, you can find it. It costs $4800. I had to save in order to buy my Meigs longbow that I have used exclusively since 1985. $4800 for a mechanical piece of crap that will be obsolete next year, and deep in a landfill while my longbow is still killing deer.

27-Feb-21
"Hunting with a bow is not hard, hunting with a crossbow is not hard, hunting with a rifle is not hard"

Hunting with a bow is not hard, but hunting with a crossbow is EASIER, and hunting with a rifle is even EASIER.

27-Feb-21
Bow hunted for 30 years, recurve and compound barebow. Gave it up for about 15 years after moving. Just got back into hunting a year and a half ago. At 72 y/o, I picked up a crossbow. It's just not bow hunting to me. Got a lighter weight compound and persevered through some shoulder pain and am now ready to bow hunt again. If you are physically able to shoot a compound, but chose a crossbow, Ya ain't bowhunting! Just my personal opinion.

27-Feb-21
I don’t think anyone who shoots a crossbow thinks they are bow hunting. They are hunting with a crossbow. It’s only some of you bow hunters that for some un godly reason have a problem. Like crossbow hunters are robbing your animals. My way is the right way and the only way because it’s my way. That’s what a lot of you guys sound like. Pretty liberal thinking.

27-Feb-21
I don't think they (we) sound like that. If I call out the single biggest contributor to bowhunting numbers declining drastically over the last 20 years in several midwestern states, it's odd that my reason for not supporting it is considered "ungodly".

28-Feb-21
Amen Glunt@work!

28-Feb-21
" it is just not bow hunting to me ". Well of course not, to bow hunt you have to use bows and arrows!!!!

28-Feb-21
Frankly, I just think that any weapon used in an archery season should require at least some archery skills to shoot it....the crossbow doesn't apply in that regard. My main reason for opposing crossbows are their insidious cancer like effect on the future of archery seasons.

28-Feb-21
What Glunt said to Slate x2

28-Feb-21
Slate is 100% correct. The anti-crossbow folks are always grasping for some factual justification for why crossbows should not be allowed in archery season, but the facts just don’t support it. Despite anecdotal claims to the contrary, according to official reports, states that have fully included bow or crossbow during archery season (which are most of them) haven’t had any ill effects on harvest stats, reported average shot distance, etc. Glunt is blaming crossbows for the decline in numbers of reported bowhunters when it is really just folks exercising their choice of what weapon system they prefer to hunt with. Overall the data has proven that the inclusion of crossbows during archery season has broadened the pool of participants including young folks and aging/declining bowhunters. I’m OK with that, and have also chosen to bow or crossbow hunt during any-weapon season, and successfully bowhunted in places that have no separate archery season. Some folks just appear very threatened by that and keep loudly banging the table that their way is the only way.

In early season folks will likely see me hunting with a compound but as the weather turns cold and the heavy clothing comes out it will be a crossbow.

28-Feb-21
I don't think you east coast crossbow hunters understand the lack of tags available out west for archery season. You sure don't act like it.

28-Feb-21
I don't think you understand that if you allowed firearms in the archery season; it would accomplish the same crossbow arguments of more inclusion, choice, disability usage, participation of young folks, and age declining hunters. In that respect, the compound did much the same thing; but crossbow proponents want 'more'. It simply becomes an issue is how much is too much. If there are no bookends; then archery seasons cannot exist as the season is 'built and based' on weapon restriction/reduced harvest.

The decades old arguments for the crossbow inclusion are aging and obsolete. Lots of states have seen archery participation declines after crossbow legalization (was never a promised effect of change) & my own state is seeing a massive push to include airbows just 8 short years after crossbow legalization. If you allow one user group new access; then another newly encouraged user group picks up where the first one left off with the old dreadful "it ain't much difference from blah, blah, blah" Every new develop gives a new idea to leapfrog to. Where would you draw the bookends and how do you define your own personal line in the sand? Are you ready to defend the developments that your own selfish wants.... ultimately creates?

Frankly, I would have been fine at leaving it at stickbows in the sports development. The sport was growing and we don't know where it would have become today. It might be gone, yet it might have had exponential growth.

In the end, we are arguing over our wisdom and foresight into what archery seasons should be..... and the desirability of where they are headed. They will always be a great deal of opinions.

28-Feb-21
String - while I agree with much of the rest of your post, the firearm / crossbow is a false equivalency. Firearms have long been proven to have increased lethality at vastly increased ranges than bow or crossbow. While it has already been proven that introduction of crossbows into archery season has had virtually no impacts on harvest stats, shot distance, etc. Inclusion of firearms would have an order-of-magnitute impact on these stats.

28-Feb-21
....but it would accomplish much of the stated arguments used for crossbow legalization. Not all states are the same. My state has a nearly four month either sex firearm season without tagging requirements...and a 6 week archery only season. It's not that much different than some surrounding states here. The season is there to create additional license sales. It could easily be absorbed in the gun season; as it already has a doe only PW season and youth firearm season that runs concurrent with much of the archery season.

The logical differences of harvest stats, shot distance, etc comes from your circumstances and life experiances/expectations. Frankly having worked the legislature for 30 plus years if enough people want something...even if the DNR doesn't want it....it can be passed.

The reason we are having the crossbow discussion at this point is all due to the compound legalization (I'm not against compounds for sure) but all developments will have a leapfrog effect at some point and it's hardly ever discussed.

28-Feb-21

jingalls's embedded Photo
jingalls's embedded Photo

28-Feb-21
Any suggestions on what scope to put on a new Xbow?

28-Feb-21

wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
Drnaln, this comes highly recommended. Easily coverts from rifle to crossrifle.

28-Feb-21
WBS, Thanks...I'll look into that setup. I'd like to have an Illuminated Reticle & built in range finder that reads out to 300 yards. Got an important hunt coming up & don't want to go under gunned.

28-Feb-21
My Northern county is bucks only with a rifle and muxxlaloader. The main draw for bow hunting is the ability to shoot either/ or. My recommendation at the annual deer hearing was to allow crossbow use only in rifle season, but allow it to be either/ or with the crossbow. The archery season is for hand drawn only. The archery season runs before during and after the rifle season. Extremely few bow hunt up here during rifle season as the deer go totally nocturnal. I do, but it is hard.

01-Mar-21

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
This’ll do.

01-Mar-21
is that the stand or the weapon?

01-Mar-21
You put a bowie knife in each hand and launch yourself at the deer ;-)

01-Mar-21
killah!

01-Mar-21
Up here, every so often they catch someone using a set gun on deer. Very dangerous. I found one while hare hunting years ago. They usually go off at night. I would bet that some scumbag is going to try it with a cross gun, no sound. The one I happened upon had an apple hanging from a tree. The deer grabbed it and that triggered the single shot shotgun with buckshot. I got hold of the warden, he set up on the guy and got him. He lost his license for 3 years. The warden later gave me the gun, a Winchester Model 39. The warden told me that the guy was a life-long poacher. We have several up here. What gets them is that they are stupid and brag.

• Sitka Gear