altitude sick 28-Feb-21
Mule Power 28-Feb-21
Kevin Dill 28-Feb-21
caribou77 28-Feb-21
Jasper 07-Mar-21
Mule Power 07-Mar-21
Kevin Dill 07-Mar-21
26-Feb-21
Great suggestions on taking a pad to sit on and a tarp to cover up with during inclement glassing weather during my caribou hunt. Tell me more about pads and tarps....materials, brand names, sizes, etc. please.....thanks!

26-Feb-21
Ultra light designs makes a great tarp for that use.

You can buy fold up pads off eBay for about $3. I’ve been using one for 3 years. In snow, rain, and pretty weather. My butt stays warm and dry.

26-Feb-21

huntinelk's Link
I've had good luck with this 3 leg stool, nice to have at camp and light enough to pack during the day.

26-Feb-21
i made my own sil nylon tarp and i always carry a thermarest z butt pad.

26-Feb-21
+1 on the Thermarest Z seat pad.

26-Feb-21
Not a pad, but the aluminum pole chairs, about $80 or so, that fold up and fit in a zippered bag about 15" long and 5" across are worth taking if you have the space and weight allowances. If your tent will be big enough, they are great if you get weathered in. I pack one mule deer hunting at times.

If you can get one at a surplus store the military green foam pads are tough, waterproof, and provide a decent amount of insulation.

27-Feb-21
With a pad on the ground you’ll always be squirming around. Get the Havalon chair. Better leg circulation for long sits. There are some cheaper knock offs. They are so light and fold up so small it’s a no brainer.

My tarp came as a kit with all the Dyneema cords, stakes and carry bag. Amazon. Sanctuary siltarp. So far so good.

27-Feb-21
Jimmy tarp still sewing?

27-Feb-21

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
This tarp Joe? Googled the Havalon chair but nothing came up?

27-Feb-21
Helinox Chair

28-Feb-21
90% of the places I’ve caribou hunted any of those tripod stools would essentially be sitting on the ground anyway with the spongey tundra. I love my kifaru super tarp and thermarest fold up seat pad.

28-Feb-21
My Siltarp is now an essential part of my gear list. As a glassing shelter, emergency camp tent. Main camp extra storage. Mine has held up Thru years of abuse.

28-Feb-21
Oh $h1t sorry yep it’s the Helinox. Yes that’s the tarp.

28-Feb-21
Helinox chair for camp use in Alaska. No way am I packing and messing with it while looking for moose or caribou. Fold-up Z-Seat x 10 years. It also functions as a good mat to stand on while doing hygiene. My tarp is a piece of good sil-nylon I bought and hemmed myself. I also stitched some paracord loops around the perimeter for tie points. I only use the tarp for gear coverage or when butchering. I’m just too damned lazy to mess with setting up a glassing tarp when I’m out moving and watching.

28-Feb-21
You can spend all kinds of money or buy a cheap 4x6 tarp at Walmart for about 3 dollars. In the end they’ll do the same, weigh very close to the same amount and get used they same amount of time. We become so accustomed to looking for the best of the best anymore.

07-Mar-21
Great suggestions on taking a pad to sit on and a tarp to cover up with during inclement glassing weather during my caribou hunt. Tell me more about pads and tarps....materials, brand names, sizes, etc. please.....thanks!

07-Mar-21
Kevin have you ever used a Helinox chair? Those things are so light and pack up so small that is you need a place to sit for extended periods it’s worth it. I recall on your hunt stories you do lots of calling and glassing right from camp in which case it’s a no brainer. I use one elk hunting where carrying anything is serious business.

07-Mar-21
Joe....I’ve owned and used a Helinox chair for over 10 years and love it. I’ve used the heck out of it. I just don’t personally have a desire (and certainly no need) to use it when I’m after moose. I’m typically climbing steep hills and moving about as I keep watch. I like to keep things light, fast and simple. The Z-Pad does what I need out in the field.

• Sitka Gear