Realwarrior 27-Feb-21
skipmaster1 27-Feb-21
Bow Crazy 28-Feb-21
Lost Arra 28-Feb-21
APauls 28-Feb-21
sitO 28-Feb-21
ROUGHCOUNTRY 01-Mar-21
27-Feb-21
I was just curious on what people’s thoughts on the accuracy of Cementum Annuli aging. Over the last 2 years, my dad, son, and I have all killed bucks that we had aged using this process. We have also had each of these deer aged by state biologists using the tooth wear/ jaw bone method. The difference in ages between the 2 processes has been between 2 and 4 years, with the Cementum process estimating the older age.

27-Feb-21
Im sure the jawbone aging process all depends on what a deer is eating. I had a jawbone test on two of our bucks that showed one was 21/2 and the other 31/2 I knew one was at least 412 and the other 51/2 which the Annuli test showed.Hope this helps good luck Lewis

27-Feb-21
After 2.5, age based on wear is really just a guess. Cementum annuli is much more accurate. I think it was like 43% accurate for wear and 85% for cementum annuli on deer. From what I understand, the more defined your winters are, the more accurate it becomes in general.

I had a buck that aged “classic 6.5 years old” based on wear when analyzed by multiple state biologists. The neighbor had pics of the deer from 5 years prior and he was very obviously mature and not 1.5 years old in them. I sent out the teeth and he was 10.5 years old, which makes sense

27-Feb-21
I think aging based on wear is a really valuable tool for seeing age trends in a given area. Even if the actual ages aren’t accurate.

27-Feb-21
I've used cementum and found it pretty good but you should read about how the teeth should be handled. 1. Don't boil 2. Don't store in plastic bags

If I read it right the root is the important part so don't scrape aggressively.

27-Feb-21
The percentages I’ve read are the low fifties for tooth wear and low sixties for cementum annuli. These were from known age deer. I’m sure you can google that.

27-Feb-21
I shot a buck last year that the dnr looked at when i took the skull in for cwd testing they said it was a 2.5 year old. The deer age came back at 8.5......so, i wouldn't put too much stock in the tooth wear aging.

27-Feb-21
.,,.........or in that DNR guy

27-Feb-21
Thanks. I have had similar results as many of you guys are getting. 2 bucks killed this year. Both aged by wear at 3.5, but both came back from Cementum aging at 5. Last year my dad’s buck was aged at 4.5 based on wear and 8.5 with Cementum.

27-Feb-21
Cementum aging is the most accurate, outside of raising the deer yourself.

27-Feb-21

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
skipmaster1's embedded Photo
This deer was aged by tooth by wear at 6.5..... 5 years after this pic was taken

28-Feb-21

Bow Crazy's Link
Everything you want to know about the cementum annuli (CA) aging technique and more is attached. BC

28-Feb-21
you guys are shooting some OLD deer

28-Feb-21
I know around here close to Home I’ve seen quite a number of deer reach 10ish or so and only know that because they’re big and / or identifiable. In areas with good deer hunting I think more deer are old than people think. It’s just not every old deer has a big rack. There’s 7 and 8 year old bucks walking around looking like 2.5’s.

28-Feb-21

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Hunted this buck for 5yr, and his horns had grown a bit in that time but not much. KS Biologist sent the teeth in twice, and both times they came back as a 4-5yr old. I have little faith in that service.

01-Mar-21

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
They stain and mount a cross-section slice of the tooth root area below gum line is my understanding. Boiling or improper handling can make distinguishing annuli growth rings more difficult. Older specimens have compressed growth rings anyway and may not be distinguishable when they are very close together or compressed. I called in this 42 inch Shiras bull for my Dad a couple years ago with very stained and worn teeth. The state sent results back and said his bull was 10.5 years. I pulled a 2nd incisor and will send in with a small batch I have of various teeth. We'll see if they pass a blind test. I thought this bull could have even been older.

• Sitka Gear