Woods Walker 01-Mar-21
Quinn @work 01-Mar-21
27-Feb-21

standswittaknife's Link

27-Feb-21
Those predators are a force !

Better planning on relocation plans is probably needed

28-Feb-21
Since the operation is off, maybe plan B should be removing some cats from the area.

28-Feb-21
That probably should have been plan A, Glunt.

28-Feb-21
taste like lean pork

28-Feb-21
taste like lean pork

28-Feb-21
“Wild animals are so unpredictable,”

I cringed at this quote. Was it really hard to predict that, if you condition a bunch of sheep to come to a bait pile, the predators would follow? I think my shoe size is higher than the average IQ at the CPW. SMH.

Matt

28-Feb-21
^^^ X2!

28-Feb-21
Grey Ghost for the win.

I hope is was a cherry picked partial quote. Because that’s the definition of dumb.

28-Feb-21
“Wild animals are so unpredictable,” bemoaned CPW in a Twitter message Friday. “(The mountain lions) spooked the herd down into the Garden of the Gods. It’s made for great wildlife watching it but left dozens of staff frustrated on capture day.”

Here's the entire quote. No less dumb in its entirety.

Matt

28-Feb-21
“(The mountain lions)....

I didn’t know mountain lions were pack animals. Learn something new everyday.....

28-Feb-21
If they saw more than one mountain lion together, it was probably a momma with her immature kittens. I think the family groups will stay together for up to 18 months, minus the tom, IIRC.

I wonder how much of our hunting license dollars where wasted on this fiasco?

Matt

28-Feb-21
Fuzzy is right, just like a nice lean pork chop!

28-Feb-21
They didn’t think about it because unfortunately many of our game biologists don’t come from an outdoor lifestyle anymore. They are “book” biologist and unfortunately don’t have a lot of the training you get from being out there, and growing up in that lifestyle!.....not all, but many more than what used to be.

01-Mar-21
easy now. they have successfully done this project in this location multiple times. So one time it fails and y’all cant wait to throw stones. bunch of arm chair internet wildlife management experts with all the answers.

01-Mar-21
KHunter,

I’m a big proponent of sheep projects as a resident of the state with the most wild sheep in the lower 48 which is a result of the hard work of our game department and volunteer orgs such as NBU but the comment by the biologist(s) is disappointing at best. Lions were being lions and doing what any of us hunters would be doing in the same situation and that biologist stating that wild animals being unpredictable is what everyone is criticizing, not the effort of the transplant.

01-Mar-21
I wonder if the CPW has ever heard of a shepherd?

I don't know, it just seems to me that this outcome could have easily been avoided with a little foresight. Like Tilzbow said, I'm all for the program, I'm just disappointed by the execution.

Matt

01-Mar-21
“Wild animals are so unpredictable,”

Yes...and so's the weather. So what do you do? You PREPARE for it!

01-Mar-21
I’m sure all these “dumb” parks and wildlife employees would love to hear from all the ones casting stones here as to a planned, acceptable and economical way to capture wild sheep.

I can only imagine what everyone here would say if they had one die while being captured and released.

I’ve been on one of these operations and there’s no perfect way to do it. Just be glad they are trying to put more hunt-able sheep populations on the mountain.

• Sitka Gear