onX Maps
Montana preference point
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
StCroixHunter 01-Mar-21
TEmbry 01-Mar-21
Cheesehead Mike 01-Mar-21
01-Mar-21
I am a non resident applying for the general elk combo. On the statistics from last year the odd were 65% @ 0 points, and 68% with 1 point. What is the advantage of the point, besides 3%. What am I missing. There must be something to make buying the point appealing. Thanks for your help

01-Mar-21
I could be wrong but I believe MT applies the point purchased before the drawing meaning you jump to 1 point category instantly. The point of buying it is to essentially guarantee drawing the following year if you don’t draw by then being in 2 point territory.

01-Mar-21
So then if you don't draw this year, but bought the point and you buy another point next year at the time of your application you would be in the 2 point group which last year was 100% draw.

If you apply for a general license this year and don't buy a preference point and then don't draw the general license they will not allow you to buy a preference point this summer. You would be going into next year's draw with 0 points versus going in with 2 points if you buy the preference point both years.

• Sitka Gear