Cheesehead Mike 03-Mar-21
lewis 03-Mar-21
TRnCO 03-Mar-21
Glunt@work 03-Mar-21
Missouribreaks 03-Mar-21
xtroutx 03-Mar-21
KHNC 04-Mar-21
02-Mar-21
The numbers are in the Wisconsin wolf hunt exceeded the proposed limit by over 80%.Ain’t that a shame.Can’t wait to hear how this plays out.Good luck Lewis

02-Mar-21
Probably a clue that there is about 80% more wolves than they say there are.

02-Mar-21
It will be seen in one of two ways. Supporters will see it as a high population which caused for higher success rates. Anti's will see it as greed and over harvest by hunters.

It is a mess.

02-Mar-21
JohnMC you got that right! Wolves aren’t easy to kill. If they killed that many there are LOTS of them.

02-Mar-21
The KILL was Not really exceeded by that much. the kill was around 200 and The DNR all inclusive kill quota was 200. so right about on target.

just that the tribe / clan people refused to participate in killing any wolfs. so there portion of kill quota of like 93, just so happen to be used up by the Settlers hunters. No laws were broken by any parties involved. it just so happens the 'kill- reporting- closure' system in place, wasn't or can't be so finely tuned, when that may tag holders were out in the field under optimum conditions to find and kill wolfs.

when there are thousands of kill tags issued and there is a harvest mortality quota time frame, this situations will arise from time to time. Plenty of wolfs out there for the fall hunt. With the original wolf plan population objective of 350 and by the States own admission of current plus 1,000 population, clearly the 200 kill quota was WAY UNDER what should have been a more realistic quota of 650. [many a Wisconsin bar stool biologist has the actual wolf population in the 2-3,000 range.]

so all is good in paradise, the Wolf hunters got an opportunity to ply there craft, the wolf huggers only seen less 1/3 of what should have been a 650 wolf kill quota and the clans saved there time and energy for the upcoming night time, in the spawning shallows walleye / musky spearing season of which only they get to participate in.

if the tribe /clan continue to refuse to participate, eliminate that confusion and have one all inclusive quota available for the wolf hunter. were all one people, quit the divisional racist segregation policy of clan quota portion., as Joe Biden says "Let's all get along as one nation."

02-Mar-21
In only 2 days!!

02-Mar-21
Yes as previously mentioned the quota was 200 the final count was 216 so not bad considering they had only a few days to get ready. Most of my reading has been they used dogs to kill most of the 216

02-Mar-21
Spoke to a WI DNR guy last night on the phone for an hour last night about the hunt. He is saying Anti's are very unhappy and feel hunters played the system and took things into their own blood thirsty hands and that the DNR was asleep at the switch. He stated there are many groups lining up lawsuits as we speak to put an all out assault on before the fall hunt to prevent it. I kept emphasizing that the quota was not exceeded as well due the tribes not taking any of theirs but as always it was stated we can't count on that so truly the quota was blown past and by his opinion it was due to perfect conditions in the north of fresh snow and the ability to use dogs which comprised 85% of the kill. He said the 1000 wolves was always meant as a minimum. I told him In my opinion there are way more than a 1000 and that mathmatically/statistically it's impossible to shoot 20% of the population in 3 days when 2600 permits were issued and probably only half of that hunted due to Monday opening and the sheer number of acres that we are talking about that the wolves live. He seemed to agree was all for a hunt but has the same concerns as I do that the Anti's will use the amount killed to prevent further hunting. As someone else stated even killing 5 wolves may have done that so we will never know but be sure the Anti's are lining up to stop the November hunt. I am in the camp that at least we got a hunt in and hopefully with 46% being females we made some impact and so if November is shut down at least we took our shot.

02-Mar-21
It is good the wolves were killed...... but it likely will be another negative for the hunting community.

02-Mar-21
I dont have a problem with the tribe claiming their percentage of the tags as long as that is figured in to the equation if there is a next time. I am not a wolf biologist so I dont know anything but I wish they would listen to the people that are actually in the woods deer, cat, coyote, bird hunting for an actual count of the wolf. They continue to go off of track locators and track counts but some of the people doing these counts have an alterior motive. I participated in the hunt. I know I can honestly say i found between 20-30 different wolf tracks that I know were different animals. During the summer on bair baits when there are 4-5 wolves on each bait camera sending pics at roughly the same time frame you can get a grasp of how many are around. They need to be managed. I have been one of the unfortunate that has carried pieces of a dog out of the woods from these animals. It is not just hounds being killed. Pets, bird dogs, livestock are all being taken. I sure hope they continue the hunt. Just remember that if there was 1 wolf killed these organizations would be filing the same lawsuits.

02-Mar-21
It surprises me that most were killed with hounds. Any hound fatalities?

I would have guessed trapping would be the most effective means of take.

02-Mar-21

02-Mar-21
I have not heard of any hound casualties. The difference is when the wolf is singled out and being the hunted, they are a completely different animal. When you find a group of 3, walk the tracks until singles out and then release the hounds. They dont like being the hunted.

02-Mar-21
Lost - In the last hunt trapping was the #1 method but I am told with the short season and less time to prepare and scout plus the snow depth/lateness of the hunt that Dogs were deployed to get the job done.

02-Mar-21
If the quota wasn't met they would've used that to say that the population isn't healthy enough for hunting. They don't care about facts or science!! Anyone with a brain can figure out if that many wolves were killed in a few days obviously the population is higher than they estimate. I have a feeling many Wisconsin wolf hunters utilized the full 24 hour check period to their advantage.

02-Mar-21
“oke to a WI DNR guy last night on the phone for an hour last night about the hunt. He is saying Anti's are very unhappy and feel hunters played the system and took things into their own blood thirsty hands and that the DNR was asleep at the switch. He stated there are many groups lining up lawsuits as we speak to put an all out assault on before the fall hunt to prevent it. I kept emphasizing that the quota was not exceeded as well due the tribes not taking any of theirs but as always it was stated we can't count on that so truly the quota was blown past and by his opinion it was due to perfect conditions in the north of fresh snow and the ability to use dogs which comprised 85% of the kill. He said the 1000 wolves was always meant as a minimum. I told him In my opinion there are way more than a 1000 and that mathmatically/statistically it's impossible to shoot 20% of the population in 3 days when 2600 permits were issued and probably only half of that hunted due to Monday opening and the sheer number of acres that we are talking about that the wolves live. He seemed to agree was all for a hunt but has the same concerns as I do that the Anti's will use the amount killed to prevent further hunting. As someone else stated even killing 5 wolves may have done that so we will never know but be sure the Anti's are lining up to stop the November hunt. I am in the camp that at least we got a hunt in and hopefully with 46% being females we made some impact and so if November is shut down at least we took our shot.”

What’s your source, I’d like to see a link to that info.thx

02-Mar-21
The 80% over quota is just liberal news BS. As stated above, 200 was the quota and 216 were taken. If the tribes don't fill their quota too bad. 16 wolves over an already low quota doesn't add up to 80%. Maybe with the new math they teach, I suppose that conclusion could be reached somehow. Congrats to all who got it done. Who cares what the anti's think. Every hunt will be a fight is Wisconsin whether 1 or 500 are taken. Hard to be accurate when you have volunter track counters doing the work of the WDNR. 1000 wolves in this state is just a wild, uneducated guess, and in my opinion is way low. The WDNR listed 256 wolf packs that they know of in Wisconsin. I have heard from many people that they have seen large packs. I know for a fact, when the pack around my home moves through, there is way more than 4. Even if the average is 4 per pack, thats over 1000, without even counting singles and pairs. The WDNR has no clue how many wolves are in this state. Hunters did not even know if they drew a tag until 12AM the day the hunt opened. With no notice to prepare, the quota was met in just 2-1/2 days. That alone tells me there are to many wolves to be estimated at 1000. Great conditions for the houndsmen and thank God they got it done.

02-Mar-21
If the season happens this fall I hope the trappers get their crack at them. Whatever is left when the snow flies the guys with the dogs can help fill the quota. I dont care how it gets done. I just dont want to have to carry a dog out in pieces again or have anyone lose anymore pets or livestock. I know it's a risk when I turn a hound loose and I accept that but they need to be managed.

02-Mar-21
The 80% mentioned was on Fox never heard them being called liberal before but I would not shoot the messenger but nowadays one can blame anyone Good luck Lewis

02-Mar-21
to illustrate the weakness in the Wis DNR game population estimates. For years they issued kill tags for bears based on the 12,000 some bears estimate. and for years hunters and non hunters were saying that way to low. so Wi DNR finally incorporated some new research tools and modeling algorithm's and Whoa!!! their population estimate didn't just go up a little bit. IT DOUBLED, the number of bear on the landscape, so they doubled the kill quota, much to surprise of the antis wailing and moaning about the shortly to come elimination of the bears with this huge increase in kill quota.

Didn't happen, and that was many years ago Just the opposite, with the same double kill quota in effect for many years now, Da bears are doing better than ever, as they continue to expand into central and southern Wi..

Really, it's time to take another look-see, at da Bear population numbers and quotas. Most would agree there are more than current DNR estimates.

So weather its bears or wolfs the DNR estimates are out of touch with reality. the Wi DNR history on the matter proves they are neither accurate or to timely in making adjustments to game animal estimates., Their inaccuracy and lag time is not good for the amount spent. Such poor performance in a private sector endeavor, would have been outed and replaced by now. unfortunately public employee tenure being what it is, that is not going to happen.

03-Mar-21
I meant no disrespect to you Lewis. Sorry if you took it that way. The media doesn't follow facts anymore, its all about making a story. Fox included. Maybe if they did some investigation on the story instead of running with whatever is mainstream, the story would be truefully told. Its sad how everything get twisted. Hunters get a bad enough rap without falsehoods being spewed. 80% over qouta is a lie no matter how you look at it, or who is reporting it.

03-Mar-21
Just playing the Devil's advocate here but they could justify their 80% over quota statement and say it's true because the non tribal quota was 119 so technically the 216 kill was 80% (actually 81.5% if you do the math) over quota. That being said, they could have added that the original quota was 200 but 81 tags were claimed by the tribes and most likely will not be filled. Therefore the kill of 216 was only 8% over the original quota.

03-Mar-21
Xroutx no harm no foul the report they showed came directly word for word from a representative if Wisconsin dnr that is all I saw. I didn’t take it to be disrespectful at all you didn’t need to apologize but I appreciate the gesture.Good luck Lewis

03-Mar-21
All I can say is: Good job Wis. hunters for gettin' it done

03-Mar-21
80% makes a better headline. Nothing new.

03-Mar-21

Missouribreaks's Link
Another spin.

03-Mar-21
That is kind of what I was trying to get at. Media picks and chooses what parts of the story they want to tell. WDNR cant believe that many wolves were killed in that amount of time. I just proves how far off their numbers really are. I guess the word lie wasn't the best word to use. Spin is more appropriate. Quota was 200 no matter how they spin it. Does it really matter who filled it? tI was met. I came home a 11pm last night, went out to stoke the boiler and let the dog out. All hell broke loose about 100 yards across the street from me. Sounded like a war. I wanted to go today and look at the carnage but , the owners of the land don't live here and were not up. There were definitly more than a few and they were not yotes. I guess I have a different liking for them than the pro wolf people, esp since they are in my neighborhood. I would have loved to have a few of the wolf patrol here last night and ask them to take a walk down the road. Nice weather, nice moon, they would have enjoyed it until they soiled themselves.

04-Mar-21
Maybe they should lower the quota for the indians. If they dont want to kill them, take away their opportunities and raise the quota for the rest of the state.

• Sitka Gear