trophyhill 16-Mar-21
Rupe 16-Mar-21
APauls 16-Mar-21
jstephens61 17-Mar-21
RIT 17-Mar-21
Tonybear61 17-Mar-21
stringgunner 18-Mar-21
04-Mar-21
Ordered a Revolt on January 13th from Scheels. Was told 4 weeks. That turned into 5 weeks. Called Scheels Monday and they said there was a delay on special orders. (Black riser with standard camo limbs). Was told another 2-3 weeks.

Decided to call BT direct at 9am this morning, answering service said it was after hours which are 7 am to 5 pm.

Anyone else having a problem? Purchased a Revolt last year and it arrived in two weeks. Bought some limbs from Hoyt this year and it took less than 2 weeks.

Maybe COVID is having an impact? I hope they are OK, really impressed with my first Revolt.

04-Mar-21
Not saying Bowtech is using COVID, but it has changed everything forever. Unfortunately, it’s an excuse companies will now use from here on out, regardless if it’s the real reason or not. Hopefully you get your bow soon!

04-Mar-21
Your in a different time zone then bow tech. The headquarters is in Oregon so they are pacific time.

04-Mar-21
This time of year Bowtech is typically wide open on building current year model bows. It is very likely they are low on stock of last years bows. Probably have it scheduled in the next run. Could be several more weeks before they even build it. Has nothing to do with Bowtech having issues, most likely.

04-Mar-21
AZ8 is correct. Companies are using Covid to justify suboptimal production and support. Some of the issues are legitimate but many are simply excuses to cut expenses or to mask a poorly run business.

I’m not saying bowtech is doing this, I’m speaking more generally.

04-Mar-21
I ordered a Mathews bow in Nov. was told 12 weeks. It’s 13 weeks now and I’m being told 2-3 more weeks, maybe. I wonder if turkey season can be moved back a few weeks.

04-Mar-21
What i said is from insider personal experience. I was on Bowtech's factory shooting team for the last 6 years. This time of year it is always the focus. No ATA show, but i doubt anything has changed. They probably are using covid as an excuse as well. Its Oregon, so that is for sure a possibility. My factory contract was not renewed for 2021 so I cant say for sure what the issue is.

15-Mar-21
Thanks KHNC.

Pat, I think you may be correct on this. I did get ahold of them last Wednesday via phone and talked with their customer service department. I did in fact not call during their office hours the first time as pointed out above as I did not recognize the time zone difference. My bad!

I was told on Wednesday that they would talk to production and I would get a call back, maybe not that day but within a couple. So I called today, spoke with the same customer service rep. A nice individual, but I think I am being given a run around and not told what is really going on.

My bow was ordered through Scheels on January 13th. Last Wednesday even the rep said it should have been completed by then, it was past their normal run period. Today, he said he had not heard back from production yet.

I asked, probably told him, but affirmed I was not upset with him, that he needed to get a definitive answer from production now, that waiting any longer was not acceptable. If it is going to take longer I will cancel thru Scheels and order a Hoyt. I really don't want to be a jerk, but I work for my money and want to spend it with companies that deliver excellent customer service. I was impressed with BT last year, not so much this year.

It's one thing to have snafus from the challenges we face as a nation right now, but level with your customers, call them back, don't make them call you again. Give an actual date the product is expected to be run, not it will be another XX every time you speak with them.

I never had these problems from Matthews (3 bows new) or Hoyt (too many to count). I get it that this might be covid related, but I think Pat is on to something about it being used as an excuse. Just act concerned when a customer calls, and keep in contact with them.

15-Mar-21
Have you ever called Mathews or Hoyt direct to ask about a bow order? I would guess they directed you back to the dealer in most cases. If they even talked to you at all regarding a bow order from a dealer.

15-Mar-21
See my comments above re Mathews. Ordered in late Nov. was told 13 weeks. It’s Ben 15+ weeks now, I’m still waiting. I am not very happy.

15-Mar-21
KHNC,

Maybe since thru the years I have been a great Hoyt customer they did talk to me when I called regarding a special build and for replacement limbs. Honestly I never had a reason to talk with Matthews, the orders all came within 4 weeks or less.

Dale, I did see your post and was wondering what Pat thought about that.

KHNC, you have a valid point about them talking to me, maybe, but if they say they will call you back in a couple of days, do it. Production should have given him an answer IMHO. I think you are probably correct about it being a production schedule, but say that to your customer and be honest about when they can expect it. I guess even paying for it in full, which Scheels requires, does not seem right given the lack of delivery. Maybe Scheels should only require a non-refundable partial deposit if the bow is delivered when promised?

15-Mar-21
Followed up with Scheels. Great customer service there as always.

Was told that all bow companies are taking 12 weeks, it is a matter of the bow companies not receiving raw materials. Great talk, much information shared. I suggested a partial non-refundable payment, or not even taking special orders if the bow companies cannot provide an accurate time frame. He agreed that taking the customer's full amount needed to be looked into. They do use our payment to pay the bow company, and even though they might not be able to cancel an order and receive a refund their policy is to provide a full refund to their customer if requested. Now that is customer service and why I keep going back!

The bow companies need to be this up front. I told Scheels I was not asking for a refund yet as I told BT I needed an answer on when they will produce my bow. He said that they probably don't know until the Monday they schedule a certain run. But it sounds like BT is no worse or better than Hoyt or Matthews in getting product out quickly, just an FYI to all.

Dale, I hope you get yours soon man!

15-Mar-21
Big Dog,

I don't know if they make crossbows or not? Scheels has a number of them there, but a lot more compounds than anything else. I can not even tell you what crossbow brands they carry, but I have noticed they are getting smaller and smaller in size.

Since Scheels already paid them I don't expect to hear back any time soon, probably never. Why should they care now? Sad really, great product, the Revolt anyway, at least IMO.

15-Mar-21
Raw material shortage is effecting ALOT right now. Our suppliers (for work) are having a very difficult finding aluminum. Sadly at times, quality has to be overlooked and dealt with just to put materials in customer's hands. It is a mess right now. I would assume almost certainly Archery MFG companies are struggling the same.

15-Mar-21
Thanks Boatman. I will call Scheels and cancel. Don’t want a quality problem with a new bow.

15-Mar-21
Thanks Habitat for Wildlife, and by the way I did put down a very large deposit. Hope I get in time for turkeys in Ne, starting 4/9.

15-Mar-21
I ordered a pse xpedite months ago, after the third month of waiting i canceled and ordered an elite enkore, hopefully i will see it before July

15-Mar-21
Everything is in shortage here. Due to the deadliest virus in worlds history and, the affects it’s created. I do understand the frustration. And, I can relate. I hope you get your bow shortly and, it’s of good quality. If you decide not to cancel. Good luck.

Frank, we’re you ordering another of the same model? Or, a different model from the one you bought last fall?

15-Mar-21
Same model, but 60 lbs limbs versus 50. The 50s are for really cold weather. I am dropping from 65 lbs limbs due to an elbow starting to say “you are getting old”, LOL.

Justin, I am not frustrated that there is a supply shortage of materials. I am frustrated that with proper communication I would have expected the delay. I am canceling as BT never called back. That’s terrible customer service and the only way companies can learn to do better is when it costs them. They have lost my business.

15-Mar-21
I completely understand. And, would do the same.

15-Mar-21
BT just called back and cannot give an estimate of when the next production run with my order will occur. You have to wonder why anyone was telling me when I should expect the bow

They had two Revolts on hand in the configuration I ordered, one was all woodland camo, the other all black, I declined. I informed him why I shoot 50, 60, and 65 weights and use two different spines, 400 and 340. My two 65 bows, Hoyts, are all camo. The 50 , Revolt, is black, and the Hoyt Spyder I just put 60 black limbs on a camo riser, so I wanted this 60 bow to be black/camo combination as well for ease of knowing weight settings at a quick glance.

He was polite, I thanked him but also said that information could have been provided last week without me needing to call back. Hopefully from our talk they will be more up front with all of their customers and vendors going forward. Probably big enough they don’t care about losing one customer, but they did.

Thanks for the comments that helped decipher what was going on.

15-Mar-21
For what it’s worth. Manufacturing is a $hit show out there. Heck, most of any commerce is. If you’re expecting the same kind of service as a regular year be prepared to be disappointed. Yes, it would be nice if every single customer was individually communicated with, but that just isn’t going to happen. Trust me, you also don’t want to pay for that labour.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t be bummed, but you have to open your eyes to the global situation and learn how to roll with the punches. Businesses are set up to deal with normal. Neither Scheels nor Bowtech is set up to be able to call every single customer to keep them abreast of delays. Not to mention they’re probably hurting financially due to a lack of production from supplies or something so they aren’t in the position to hire non-productive staff simply to talk to people. As much as I expect from companies normally, you have to cut them some slack now. Just how it is. “I never had this with Matthews” - you also never tried buying a bow from them in a scamdemic either.

Doesn’t matter what industry you’re in chances are it’s messed up. Building industry has material price hikes and shortages, manufacturing likewise, travel obviously messed, financial stock markets etc lol you’ve got redditors in control, restaurants - messed up, and oh the good old health care industry - just a regular day in paradise eh?

Adjust your expectations or live a life of uptight frustration.

15-Mar-21
I agree, except when you call them and they talk to you they are obligated to share the facts as they really are, not hold $1200 plus of your dollars as an interest free loan.

Companies have not been thru this, and neither have customers. I don’t mind the delay, don’t keep telling customers when to expect something when you really don’t have a clue. And they still can’t tell me, but have my money. That’s not being uptight, nor is it being stupid.

16-Mar-21
Seems like all bow companies are a little behind this year

16-Mar-21
If you order a Hoyt, expect to wait a bit as well

16-Mar-21
Not going to order until supply chains appear mostly normal again. If quality of materials is a concern as posted above, I might wait for some time. Be interesting to know if carbon is more or less available than aluminum. All of my bows are the latter.

16-Mar-21
Agree with habitat for wildlife above. I can take accurate bad news, don’t like it, but I’ll listen. Getting fed a line of BS and lies for months on end is not good business.

16-Mar-21
Is it usual and customary to pay full ticket for a bow before taking possession.

16-Mar-21
"If you order a Hoyt, expect to wait a bit as well.."

Unless you're Cam Haines. Then you can stop in , get your bow, do a photo op with Randy and be on your way.

I will say this. Often social media is the best way to get their attention. I bought a Hoyt Hyperforce in 2018. Nice bow, fits well, shoots great. Strings are shit. Constant serving slip, string stretch. I went back to Lancaster Archery 6X in the first year. I was told, yeah you should've replaced the strings right off the bat. Really? New bow, $1200? Strings are garbage? Was told to contact Hoyt CS as the string issue was "fixed". Several emails and calls went unreturned. Posted on Hoyt's FB page outlining the issue and the absolutley poor customer service. Nothing nasty, just the facts. Within the day, I had an email from Hoyt wanting to address the issue. New strings within a week. No issues with the new ones.

16-Mar-21
FWIW, I agree very much with what APauls wrote above. I am not defending Bowtech, nor any other manufacturer, as I don't have any insight into what specific issues they are experiencing and/or how they are handling them. But I can say from personal experience, I own a mechanical contracting company, that these are very challenging times for many businesses, as many items are: 1. Much more expensive now than ever before. 2. Difficult to source, in short supply or simply out of stock and when you think you have something on order there is often a delay, mis-ship, etc. 3. Personnel to work with at the factory/source are hit or miss and far less experienced these days than in times past. Etc, etc, etc.

Again, not defending any one company here, only saying that the times we are living in are quite a bit more challenging for many businesses and there are many things upside down and very different than normal.

16-Mar-21
The only time I purchased thru an order from the company through The Archery Shoppe in Albuquerque was the fall of 2009. There was a rumor that a new bow was coming out so I ordered 1 sight unseen in hopes it had a better draw cycle than that 82nd Airborne had because it was tearing up my shoulders. My D350 arrived Thanksgiving weekend of ‘09 and I’ve been killing with it ever since. In fact I just ordered about my 8th set of strings/cables for it. I bought a SR6 2 years ago off the shelf at The Archery Shoppe. They usually have a great inventory line-up

16-Mar-21
Glad this is getting some traction.

Iowa and APauls, your view is valid IMHO, but here is why I disagree. First, it is not just businesses going through this pandemic, families are as well. Some folks are trying to get the economy going by spending some money. Honestly, that was part of my intent here, I obviously do not need a new bow, but enjoy them. If the bow would have come I would have bought a site, rest, etc. more purchases that are not happening because the original purchase did not arrive. This is not just about the bow companies, their behavior effects other companies and their employees as well. I will spend the money on something needed for my farm, and would have spent it already and created economic activity that would have been helpful to others. Teaching economics, I certainly understand that spending that creates economic activity is what matters right now. Spending to move money from my account to theirs does little.

Second, we all agree every company and industry has been impacted, but they must keep their eye on the long run. If customers do not feel they were dealt with honestly and transparently, they will remember that when the good times come back. Transparency is the best policy. If I had been told bow orders would take three months or more, I might or might not have ordered; however, if I did I would not be wasting my valuable time calling to find out where the bow is at, I would be patiently waiting. My time is just as valuable as theirs.

Third, given the number of business closures due to covid, I do not find it acceptable to leave $1200 with an entity that can not tell me when I will see my product. We all need to protect ourselves, and a company might go out of business before you ever see what they promised. Fool me once...

I agree making things like this public helps protect other hunters, and why I still chose to do it even though I knew some will disagree. A caribou outfitter comes to mind on having taken numerous folks' money. We ought to share possible red flags. Some of you might feel comfortable ordering and waiting until whenever. I don't think most people would. Letting all know that there is a potential for greater delay from all bow companies and take that into consideration when buying was my public service announcement for the week;-)

I get we may not agree, but I hope this will help change behavior. I hope bow companies will be transparent about their situation and adjust how they do business with their vendors such as maybe not requiring Scheels and others to pay until after shipment as just a possible example. Yes, these are difficult times, and businesses must adjust their normal practices the same as consumers if we want to maintain healthy trusting relationships, IMHO.

Thanks.

16-Mar-21
Bou,

We are not in usual or customary times. Again, companies must adjust as well as consumers to maintain trust. Thanks.

16-Mar-21
I mold part for a couple of the Bowtech group companies and can say that it's much less an issue with getting materials as it is simply demand. Every outdoor sports company has had a deluge of orders at least 40% higher than ever before. No one can make that much 'stuff'.

To gear up to fill demand at these rates would be a crazy plan for the future. When things get back to more normal in the travel and entertainment worlds, all this demand for 'stuff' is going to disappear overnight.

The whole world has lost their minds these days. $30k side by sides.... none available. A new $20k snowmobile.... over subscribed orders for next winter already. Good luck finding a bicycle that costs less than $5000 or a reasonably priced fly rod. Everything is just crazy out there.

Just my take from someone who's been behind the scenes in the industry for 38 years now.

Cheers, Pete

16-Mar-21
I ordered a Spot-Hogg sight for my new bow in January. The shop owner is a friend of mine. I didn't buy the bow from him as he doesn't sell what I shoot, I did shoot his bows during my selection process, but, I like to buy my other gear from him. We were given a mid February delivery. Last time we tracked the sight we were given today as delivery. Keeping my fingers crossed.

16-Mar-21
c3,

So you are saying I am just not a big enough deal like Cam Haines for them to care about? Nice to know, LOL! Thanks.

16-Mar-21
I am sticking with my original position, whether it be they don't have product, or they have too many orders, be transparent with your customers and communicate accurate information to them. When you don't, people will be upset!

It might be customary to pay the full price up front for a bow, just as it is customary to not wait the amount of time people are today. Again, both the companies and customers have to adjust.

16-Mar-21
sounds like consumers may need to adjust to lack of clarity and lack of information in the unusual and non-customary days we are living in!

16-Mar-21
It’s not to much to ask for a company to communicate truthfully with existing and potential customers. In anytime or condition.

Telling someone who’s paid in full for something that you don’t know when you are going to receive materials to build, is definitely not a task looked at as fun. But, they probably should tell you that before you pay up front if they want to avoid these situations.

16-Mar-21
I ordered a solution SD December 30 and was at the shop when they called the order in. The factory rep told them 6 to 7 weeks. I still don"t have a bow. I'm sure bowtech knew this time frame could not be met but they wasn't going to say that because they didn't want to lose a sale. Bow company's come out every year saying there bows are the greatest, the smoothest most forgiving bows that's ever been produced. They know they can"t keep up with production and need to be up front with the people. I'm real close to saying by by Bowtech.

16-Mar-21
If you order a Hoyt it will be 12-14 weeks minimum.

16-Mar-21
Bowtech is, and will remain a great company. By the logo argued here, I should be pissed off that I can’t find my favorite Federal 7mm Rem mag ammo in anticipation of drawing an Oryx tag this year. Plan B, use my bow if I have to ;)

16-Mar-21
I disagree. Which I rarely do with you trophy. But, the difference is you didn’t order and pay for it on a time line the ammo company set.

Nothing gets paid for upfront that doesn’t have expectations to be met by the seller. You don’t pay house payments u til you buy it. Insurance, food, cars, gas, tobacco, etc... Bows are different because they can be. But, it’s an obligation that requires honesty.

I’m sure no one expected material supplies this slow. Just saying so is all that’s required. Especially when you are past the time line you have as a part of the deal. People will understand and be patient. Until they are treated like they don’t matter.

16-Mar-21
As said above, it seems bow companies are being dishonest about timelines so as to not lose the sale. This is not good customer service.

I’m in the same situation with my prime N4. Every week I call, I’m told just another week. This has been going on for about 6 weeks now. It’s frustrating. There are other bows in the racks I could purchase, and probably should have done so, at least I could have been shooting for the past 2 months. I don’t mind being told how long it will take, but to continually put off with false timelines is a problem.

16-Mar-21
I absolutely hate dishonesty. I hate false promises. I am a businessman myself. I am a huge fan of under-promise and over-deliver. Just remember that you may get an anticipated date from your supplier of choice, and that is based on on getting parts/materials from companies further down the line. All it takes is one delay, or one dishonest company close to the bottom of the "food chain" and the whole thing is out of whack. Now add in to the equation that we are living in times where the entire food chain is out of whack, and nearly every rung on the ladder can't get answers. That's the world we are living in.

Do I think Bowtech should "give you the runaround?" Absolutely not. But do delays in todays day indicate a concern with the company Bowtech on the whole as the thread title suggests. Not in the slightest IMO.

Also, IMHO you are interpreting the situation as "getting the runaround." What if they are giving you the most accurate information they've got at the point in time and delays are just happening?

From what you've written I understand that 1) You've had friendly and helpful people answer the phone at both companies when you called, and 2) the dates you've gotten have been inaccurate.

From this information I am just saying you don't know the whole picture. They may be giving you the best info they have and it simply isn't good info. Also I'm saying we are in a messed up economy. You've had much better service than I have with a local fishing store. Brought back a broken GLoomis rod I got as a gift in May of last year and still haven't received the new one. Called 7 times was told I would get a call back 7 times and received exactly 0 calls back. They've answered your calls every single time and at least given you some sort of answer. All is not lost.

16-Mar-21
Bou To your question about usual and customary. I can't talk about ordering from big box stores, but can talk about direct buys. I've ordered a number of bows direct over the past 20+ years (Mathews, Alpine, Genesis and Prime) from the manufacturer.

Each purchase was virtually the same process... we'd place the order, give the CC#, the card wouldn't be charged until the bow was boxed and labeled for shipping.

I hope folks get their orders soon.

16-Mar-21
Justin,

You are correct that this situation is much different than what Trophy described. Thank you!

APauls,

In a business relationship, call it an implied contract, or a commitment from both parties, is entered into. I made the payment, the bow was to be delivered in 4, then 5 weeks. If one party cannot deliver on their end, it is incumbent on them to inform the other party and make acceptable arrangements, covid or no covid. That is customary service that needs to be extended. It is not the burden of the offended party to initiate contact, and the best companies know this.

Yes, BT can inform me that they cannot deliver and allow me to accept or not. Covid does not justify a position of we don't know when we can get the product to you we promised, but we will keep your money anyway. Never!

They did not return the first phone call in the time period expected. I made a call to them. Yes, their CS was polite, but I am being generous. He did not seem too concerned or apologetic. One solution that could have been offered would have been to switch limbs on the two bows they had and send the product out. Maybe it is not that simple, but an attitude of accept one of these or we don't know when we will ship your bow, well, as they now know that was unacceptable. I just returned from Scheels with a full refund of $1216, no questions asked and with two apologies from them. BT could learn something about CS from Scheels. They wasted my time and there was lost interest I could have earned on those funds or enjoyment of another product.

Regarding not knowing the full story, in case you missed it, that is part of the problem. They never offered any reason as to why my bow would not be built soon, I still don't know if that is because of material or demand. Customers deserve explanations! Your poor customer service experience is just that and has no bearing on whether I should find my experience acceptable or not. There are problems out there, if vendors would be transparent they would avoid a lot of angst. This thread was titled as a question, to see if others were experiencing something similar. It was not an accusation. Lots of inaccurate assumptions made here!

Not wanting to sound like a jerk, I expect good customer service and acknowledge excellent service. Joe at Scheels switched out my Hoyt replacement limbs that they ordered and tuned the bow. I ordered those limbs the week after ordering the Revolt and they came in within 2 weeks, don't know why I didn't stay with Hoyt. Besides my Scheels bill I tipped Joe a $20. I tipped a $20 last year when the same Scheels set my Revolt up that I purchased there with all of the accessories. That's how I roll, appreciative of good service, will not accept poor service. And neither should anyone else or companies begin to think that is what they can deliver.

Yes, expect longer waits today, but that needs to be stated up front and not a promise they know they can't keep just to get an order. I made a promise to Robin 40 years ago and I am still keeping it. I deliver on what I ask others to do, and that's what we need more of now, not more excuses why we can't deliver what we promised.

16-Mar-21
It’s all good WVM. It’s ok to agree to disagree. It’s the cancel culture that doesn’t allow the agree to disagree that I have a problem with.

16-Mar-21
“ Not saying Bowtech is using COVID, but it has changed everything forever. Unfortunately, it’s an excuse companies will now use from here on out, regardless if it’s the real reason or not. Hopefully you get your bow soon!”

Exactly

16-Mar-21
HfW - I’m sorry you’re not having a good experience. I’m in no way related to the company, but the beauty is you can take your money and run if you’re not happy. I’ve never condoned their actions, just played devils advocate according to the facts you presented this far. Hope you get what you’re after.

16-Mar-21
Already moved on APauls. Want to feel good with whom I do business and where I spend my money. Thanks.

17-Mar-21
It’s not just bow companies. Brother ordered a GMC truck the first of December. Called the dealership the end of February and GM still hadn’t picked up the order. Then he started the hunt for his new truck.

17-Mar-21
I haven’t bought a new bow in almost 16 years. I thought about it this year. I might just need to order one if I have hopes of using it for the September bow opener if things are as stated in this thread.

17-Mar-21
I hesitated about ordering a new bow last year so found a used bow at a local archery shop. They were able to get some Matthews parts to set me up. No issues once I have gotten my hands on it.

18-Mar-21
After a 13 week wait my nexus 4 finally came in. Hard to have patience. Hoping it’ was worth the wait.

• Sitka Gear