blacktail 07-Mar-21
Bou'bound 08-Mar-21
snag 08-Mar-21
hybridbowman 11-Mar-21
GF 11-Mar-21
The last savage 13-Mar-21
White Falcon 13-Mar-21
06-Mar-21
Does anyone have any experience with the blacktail hunter takedown model?

06-Mar-21
It is a very fine bow. The same performance as the fancy ones, just camo dipped. It is made in Indiana, not China.

06-Mar-21
Do you mean the small-shop/custom recurve, or is this a compound thing?

Almost everybody who has shot the Black Hunter recurves/longbows will tell you that they shoot a whole lot better than they have any right to, given their extremely modest price tag. They’re like a Mossberg pump or a Wally-world Savage package-rifle.

Blacktail recurves - the small shop - are pretty high end. JMO, you’d have to be nuts to start off with one unless you were offered a screamin’ deal on a used one.

07-Mar-21
Thanks---any more info is welcome!!!

07-Mar-21
I guess all phones, computers, TV's, and almost everything are JUNK also. ;) ;)

07-Mar-21
I guess it would help if we knew a little more about what you have in mind… Are you looking for a first recurve, or have you been at it for a while and now you’re window shopping?

I’ve never seen one that was NOT far too pretty to go hiding it under a camo finish; never heard an unkind word about them or the folks who build them... but there are a couple of guys on the Wall who have sold theirs and now shoot Black Hunters exclusively....

So it kind of depends on what you want, what you need, and how good you are at knowing the difference.

07-Mar-21
Jim Brackenberry????

If so that design was a serious influence to the Stalker recurve by Charlie Bisharat that is now the Stalker by South Cox.

They are great and I would jump all over it.

07-Mar-21
And I thought this would be about blacktail hunting..

08-Mar-21
Norm Johnson blacktail bows? Phenomenal in form and function.

08-Mar-21
The founder since 1991 is Norm Johnson of Oregon. His commitment to excellence refined and shaped the recurve that we see today. In my opinion, as well as many sportsman that put them to the test in the field, are the finest recurves in the world. As a result of Norm’s efforts the demand resulted in over a year wait time for orders. To bring down the turnaround time without lowering the quality he formed a collaboration with Alan Pope of Indiana where they are made today. Norm worked too hard for years to do nothing less than turn it over to someone that would “take it to the next level”. Alan continues making custom bows along with a line of Heritage bows that are works of art. Be assured from the entry level to the high end models you are receiving excellent shooting bows! The shelves are cut 3/16” past center. This allows for a wider range of arrow spine weights to be shot with excellent results. You have a choice of grips depending on your shooting style. Call Alan and he will gladly discuss what he offers. Investing in one of these recurves is money well spent.

11-Mar-21

hybridbowman's embedded Photo
They are very good recurve, and finish is outstanding on the standard model. Mine is wenge and bird eye zebra wood.

11-Mar-21
So now you can see what I was saying about being far too pretty to hide under a camo dip…

But when you’re just learning how to drive, you really don’t want go out and buy a Collector car.... I guess you could, if you can afford it… But I’m not sure why it would be a good idea.

13-Mar-21
Great bows,, man i could shoot the lights out with it,,,i lost mine in a canoe roll over in a deep, semi flooding river,, i went in 3 times tring to retrieve it, till my lips were bluish purple. It was November, 25 degrees,, so i called norm and ask his opinion as to how long i have to find it , he said about 3 days as i remember. Delam will start around then,,He then told me he has one at the bottom of a lake in Alaska. His canoe was crossing the lake hit a submerged log and rolled... Norm is a fine man.

13-Mar-21
RICK, You can't read! ;)

• Sitka Gear