Woods Walker 07-Mar-21
Paul@thefort 07-Mar-21
Owl 07-Mar-21
Medicinemann 07-Mar-21
JC3 11-Mar-21
07-Mar-21

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
I just bought a Ghillie Suit for bow hunting turkeys. It’s a $40 cheapie but will be worth the experiment I figure. I do most of my hunting on a 3000 acre archery only club in Georgia and usually kill a gobbler or two each year, but from blinds. I could tell many, many stories of how I would have bet my last dollar that I was camoed in and hidden so well (full camo including leaves on my bow, up against a big tree, only drawing when the birds goes behind a tree, etc, etc.) that I’d never get busted but almost always do. The Easterns on our place get lots of pressure and are dang near impossible to fool if you’re not in a blind. It’s unreal! They even start skirting blinds after the first couple of weeks of the season. Anyway, I get tired of hunting from blinds so thought I’d try a Ghillie. What’s your experience with how well they work with wary game? Thanks!

07-Mar-21
I just bought one similar to yours last week. I'll let you know. Last spring I killed a turkey with my bow by standing behind a large trunk tree and letting them walk up to me. Came to full draw and leaned out...lucky.

07-Mar-21
There was a post on here just a few days ago addressing the Ghillie suit. Lots of positive comments.

07-Mar-21
I don't turkey hunt, but I do use a ghillie for deer hunting, and they DO work!

It's the closest thing a human being can get to being invisible. The biggest problem I have bowhunting deer with them is having them get TOO close. But deer can still scent you, especially when they're within spitting range. I would imagine with turkeys that shouldn't be a problem?

07-Mar-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
if you will be spending time on your knees, get a pair of knee pads just like these. CLC ultra pads, $25 set
if you will be spending time on your knees, get a pair of knee pads just like these. CLC ultra pads, $25 set
practice with the suit on. you might trim off the stands from the inside bow arm to prevent string conflicts. Sometimes, I carry my suit in a back pack unit I get to where I will set up.

07-Mar-21
Looks like it would be difficult to be silent enough to come to full draw without getting busted.

07-Mar-21
A few things. 1. They are heavy, and get much heavier when you are hunting with one and it starts to rain. 2.) After getting wet, they can get pretty smelly. 3.) As the evening cools, depending on your under layering (and how cold it gets), having that wet fabric next to you can cool you down quickly. 4.) When wearing one, as you draw, sometimes the suit gets hung up on surrounding cover, and can affect your draw 5.) They can get pretty hot, which can make you sweat....thus giving off odor. 6.) It is really cool how well they can help you to blend in 7.) Next Halloween, your costume is already bought and paid for.....and they get a lot of laughs....and an occasional scream!!

11-Mar-21
I have had very good success with the ASAT leafy camo. The suit is very light and comfortable. I had a coyote @ 5 yds. last turkey season, RIP Wily E. I use a "sleeve" on my bow arm for my recurve. The ASAT pattern is not popular with the "pro's" but works very well.

• Sitka Gear