DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
DVS's embedded Photo
We understand that some people might find this post offensive, because of all the similarities between a Zebra and a horse. Then this post is not for you, but, if there is one thing that you can trust us on and that is that they are nothing alike. Zebra are one of the most difficult animals to hunt in Africa. Those stripes where mend to blend into the African wilderness and many times you will only see them when you are on top of them, while spot and stalking. They have a very keen sense of smell and will circle the waterhole a 100 times, until they are certain that everything is in place. They are always jittery when they come in to the blind and they will come in as group and most of the time leave as a group. Making your window of opportunity to take a shot, very small. And to top it all off, you will never taste anything as amazing as Zebra meat, you can ask each and every one of these hunters below and they will say the same. A great animal to hunt, amazing meat to eat and they make a darn nice rug, as well. We would love to hear your experience on Zebra hunts and who has had the opportunity to taste any?

08-Mar-21
Congrats on your zebra. Yes, they are very wary.

08-Mar-21

No Mercy's embedded Photo
No Mercy's embedded Photo
Yes!! I was finally able to seal the deal on day 14 of 14! It was also the best meat we ate while in Namibia.

08-Mar-21
DVS, don’t worry about this crowd being offended. This isn’t Facebook.

My only disappointment after all my trips to Africa including a fantastic hunt with DVS was that I never had an opportunity for a zebra. Maybe one day!

08-Mar-21
Sounds like a good excuse to go back Pat!!

08-Mar-21
I and a friend went three times. Once to Zim and twice to SA. My friend never had an opportunity to arrow one, but he shot two with a rifle, out of bow range. We hunted a total of 24 days, and I was fortunate to get two shots at zebra. One at 25 yards and one at 30. I have shoulder mount and a rug.

08-Mar-21
DVS.....is the shot placement in the top pic (assuming a ground level broadside shot) almost too high? I shot a zebra in almost the exact same spot (shot was on video), possibly an inch higher at most, and we tracked him for several miles, but never recovered him.

Agreed, they are incredibly wary animals. It took over 2 hrs for the herd to finally commit to start coming into the waterhole, which they never fully did do.

08-Mar-21
I like to shoot 'em in the ear . . . .

Agree, very wary. Very fun to stalk. I got lucky to get an opportunity, and then botched it with target panic. Fortunately an artery was severed and death was quick.

I always told people who questioned "shooting a horse", that I grew up with horses, that I love horses, but I've never yet met a horse I didn't want to shoot at one point in time

08-Mar-21

jstephens61's embedded Photo
My two

08-Mar-21
Had a chance to shoot a zebra at your concession in Namibia about 10 years ago. Great trophies. Had zebra steaks on evening. Excellent table fare. Very wary animals. Would love to return to Africa some day and try for one.

08-Mar-21
I was lucky to finally get a zebra after 7 days in a blind. Everything DVS said is true to my story.

08-Mar-21
The best meat I've eaten in Africa !

09-Mar-21
Zebras are the best! By far one of my favorites

09-Mar-21

AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
AZ~Rich's embedded Photo
Yes, they were elusive for me as well. Finally arrowed a stallion on hunt number four. I loved that my arrow passed through, entering and exiting within the black stripes, so my rug has no obvious repairs...perfect!

09-Mar-21

hybridbowman's embedded Photo
hybridbowman's embedded Photo
Namibian zebra 30 m shot and 100 m trail. Zebra are smart critters

10-Mar-21
I would love to shoot a Zebra, or a brombie or a feral horse here in the Rockies. No problem with this at all! I didn’t know Zebra meat was good , I would b down to try it! Cool thread

• Sitka Gear