skipmaster1 10-Mar-21
Rut Nut 10-Mar-21
butcherboy 10-Mar-21
APauls 10-Mar-21
WV Mountaineer 10-Mar-21
Norseman 11-Mar-21
spike78 11-Mar-21
09-Mar-21
This is a tongue in cheek assessment. This method also works for pork and poultry. Special care must be taken as the meat you buy has had the entrails removed from the animal before you buy it. The first step is quite easy. You must remove all packaging. The second step is slightly more difficult. You need to find a game bag that has been used since the Carter administration and place the meat in it . Third you must place the bag in the back of your pick up truck for a minimum of three days. After the minimum period you can wash the meat and cook it over medium heat for at least an hour . Two or three hours will bring out the full shoe leather experience. This procedure will work great for many but if you want the full experience leave the meat in the truck for a month then take it to the land fill when nobody is looking. You can thank me later... Bob

09-Mar-21
Things must be slow in VT today?

09-Mar-21
That’s hilarious! After 30 years of processing wild game, I’ve seen it all.

09-Mar-21
Go shoot one of those wild cows in Alaska, maybe they taste a little wilder!

09-Mar-21
Beef will never taste as good as venison. If you treat venison like that it would taste like beef!

09-Mar-21
Skipmaster x2

10-Mar-21
Some of you have obviously never bought quality beef. I can cook you a homegrown steak better than anything you’ll get in any restaurant and all I do is salt it.

10-Mar-21
^^^^^LINK X20! I love venison, but I’ll take a good ribeye over the best piece venison 8 days a week.

10-Mar-21
Prior to step 2 you have to let your beef come to ambient temperature. Best results are done in the months of July and August. Throw it on the ground and drag it over a dusty deer scrape that has been sprinkled with Tink’s 69. Also helps to throw in some freshly cut deer hair to that scrape. If your beef comes with out bone, find a nice size femur bone and microwave it for a few minutes. Then carefully cut and nsert the bone into the thickest portion of meat. Be sure no bone is exposed to the air. Procede to step 2.

10-Mar-21
Filet mignon 100% over any backstrap of venison. Sorry guys.

10-Mar-21
I like venison. I agree with the guys that consider good beef far superior. Venison IS better than some of the beef sold at some grocery stores, doesn't compare to beef from a small town butcher shop or home grown.

Related, last few years I haven't enjoyed pork chops like I used to. Finally dawned on me, I now buy them from a local butcher shop (Pierz or 10 Mile for me) instead of a grocery store.. Their pork is raised locally and not in one of the big hog farm factories. There is a night and day difference, tastes just like 50 years ago.

It is the same deal with bacon of course.

10-Mar-21
I know they try to make plants taste like meat now, any tips for the vegan crowd?

10-Mar-21
Beef is good and I’ve killed a processed a few. I prefer the taste of venison though. I age it 20 days in the walk in and it’s all tender and a great flavor. I prefer 3-4 year old does though. I also eat venison 3+ times a week all year so that probably influences my preference for taste

10-Mar-21
Greenmountain- shouldn;t the second step be to throw that beef in the back of the truck and drive around all day showing it off to all your hunting buddies?! ;-)

10-Mar-21
You also forgot to simulate some kind of gutless method puncturing the stomach trying to get to the tenderloins. Spreading stomach matter all over the tenderloins. Also, need to place them in an ice chest with the backstraps and ice. Let the ice melt and spread the stomach matter all over the backstraps as well.

I quit processing wild game this past season and I don’t miss it one bit! Lol

10-Mar-21
Oh man. Nothing and I mean nothing tastes as good as a nice beef steak. I’m with t-roy on the rib eye. It’s what I ask for for my birthday. Which is Sunday. I can taste it already

10-Mar-21

WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
WV Mountaineer's embedded Photo
I love both beef and venison. I can make certain cuts of venison as good as I can beef. If the weather is right so I can get some age on my deer, I will eat it as quickly as I will eat the best of beef.

I routinely buy a 1/2 beef a year off a butcher I was blessed to meet. He has the pasture to raise it and, the cooler space to put age on it hanging. It is tremendous and better then anything I’ve bought from a store. And, if push comes to shove, I’d probably pick it 60% of the time. If it’s venison I kill in November, so it can hang, I’d hate to be forced to choose.

I love ‘em both. Just cooked up this mess of vittles Sunday. Finished off tonight. Some of the beef I bought this year. It was as good as braised deer shanks. I’m a great cook too.

For t-roy and Link.

11-Mar-21
Prior to step 2 you have to let your beef come to ambient temperature. Best results are done in the months of July and August. Throw it on the ground and drag it over a dusty deer scrape that has been sprinkled with Tink’s 69. Also helps to throw in some freshly cut deer hair to that scrape. If your beef comes with out bone, find a nice size femur bone and microwave it for a few minutes. Then carefully cut and nsert the bone into the thickest portion of meat. Be sure no bone is exposed to the air. Procede to step 2.

11-Mar-21
Yup I can name many animals that taste better then deer. It’s good just not great compared to a lot of other game and cows.

• Sitka Gear