ki-ke 12-Mar-21
KHNC 12-Mar-21
pirogue 12-Mar-21
Darrell 12-Mar-21
smarba 15-Mar-21
LWood 15-Mar-21
Red Sparky 21-Mar-21
09-Mar-21
Out of curiosity, does anyone have a ballpark idea what these tags run for some of the northern units that aren't usually known for the quality of bulls like other parts of the state? I have never really looked into anything like this so I'm pretty ignorant on the subject. Not necessarily something I plan to do, but if I end up solo this year, I have a buddy who lives in NM. Might be able to team up on a hunt that way. That's based on the assumption I won't get lucky in the draw.

09-Mar-21
it depends on what unit you are looking at. but you will see around $5k for the bull tags. some units maybe see $3k

09-Mar-21
Ok. Thanks for the info! About what I was thinking and probably more than I want to spend.

As luck would have it, my buddy texted me saying he's in for this year right after I started this thread.

10-Mar-21
I remember when I could get them in 52 for $500. GOod ole days, guessing around $3k now. Call around prices vary.

10-Mar-21
Also semiguided hunts have near 100% draw odds and are cheaper then a LO tag - plus you get some help and maybe a packer for your elk...............

10-Mar-21
Not sure what units have close to 100% draw odds for archery even with an outfitter. Maybe rifle in some of those units are above 50%. I used top rut calculator in the outfitter pool and my 3rd choice archery unit is around 8% located in northern NM.

Good luck to All of you in the draw.

10-Mar-21
Good luck JL!

10-Mar-21
Thanks Cory! We'll see what plays out.

10-Mar-21
Yeah, draw odds in all of NM are very low. Even with outfitter pool. LO tags in the Gila went for over 15k last year. Sold for around 5k in 2011.

10-Mar-21
Don, You are definitely thinking of years past about that. Our 3rd choice unit was 100% in the guided poole less than ten years ago and 8% this year. There are only a couple units left where guided has more than a 50% chance and they are units I am not willing to risk that much time and/or money hunting. In my opinion, the price of NM landowner tags has exceeded their value. I think you're better off paying for trespass privilege in CO or other places. Stick and String just posted a DIY private land hunt where you can stay in their lodge for $2500. Guessing similar if not better quality bulls and I would bet its a much better hunt as you aren't competing with crowds, poachers, thieves, and other northern NM shenanigans.

10-Mar-21
Ditto Darrell. The good ol' days when even piss poor units were easy to draw are LONG gone. Units with leftover tags have been non-existent for a decade or more. Today with social media, data at everyone's fingertips and a exceedingly abundant number of people with loose lips, there is no such thing as a "sleeper" unit, and "better odds" may be only a couple of percent at best; not anywhere close to double or triple digits.

11-Mar-21
What are 52 draw odds for both archery hunts guided? I believe 4 years ago or so it was near 100%?

SORRY GUYS if my info was dated. I have not checked recently and when you do check some sources do not have accurate odds because of the 3 choices.

11-Mar-21
Yikes I think I was WAY off my optimistic draw odds sorry!

11-Mar-21
Don looks like the 52 rifle odds (2 seasons) with an outfitter are in the ball park of 25% and 52% using Toprut.

11-Mar-21
Also, when the odds are this bad, the three choices doesn't really effect real odds that much. When less than 10% draw any hunt it means that you just take the number of tags available in a given pool (R, NR & G) and divide it by the total amount of 1st through 3rd choice applicants cause odds are few if any of them are being eliminated before their third choice.

12-Mar-21
"Yeah, draw odds in all of NM are very low. Even with outfitter pool. LO tags in the Gila went for over 15k last year. Sold for around 5k in 2011."

I remember when you could buy a LO tag for $500 in unit 15 if you missed the archery draw, or didnt draw, which was rare in the early 90's......

12-Mar-21
The good ol days. Back when i didnt even elk hunt. LOL

12-Mar-21
Isn’t it 52 that has the reputation of having more locals who raid camps, than elk?

12-Mar-21
pirique,

Unfortunately, that reputation covers much of Northern NM. I've hunted it many times and never personally had a problem, but have had camps near ours raided on at least three of our hunts.

15-Mar-21
Yep I've heard plenty of horror stories directly from friends (I'm not talking about rumors from somebody's cousin's ex-wife's brother).

15-Mar-21

21-Mar-21
Just hope you get a low number in the draw. Draw odds really don't matter if somebodies second or third choice beat your first choice because they have a lower number in the draw and get pulled before you do. That is why my first choice is always a hard to draw hunt hoping I am low in the draw. Has worked some years and the majority of the time I am hunting my second choice or not at all. I did restock my antidepressants for when the draw results come out.

• Sitka Gear