Bowman 11-Mar-21
Joey Ward 11-Mar-21
Bowman 11-Mar-21
GF 11-Mar-21
Joey Ward 12-Mar-21
Bowman 12-Mar-21
WV Mountaineer 12-Mar-21
11-Mar-21
I just got a new black widow bow and the draw weight at my 29" draw is 63 to 65 lbs depending where I anchor at. According to several different arrow charts, I should be shooting 350/340 spine arrows depending on manufacturer. I have been practicing with 340 spine and 400 spine out to 20yds and I cant tell a difference in arrow flight other than the 400 might fly a tiny bit faster but the 340 seem to impact slightly harder, otherthan that both have good arrow flight. My question is which should I stick with? Please help!

11-Mar-21
A lot depends on point weight and arrow length. In .400 spine a 30.5" arrow with 150-175 grain point should be about peerfect and the 340 same length I would say 225 grain point would be about perfect. Black Widows are cut well past center so they will shoot a couple spine fairly good as long as you are close. Shawn

11-Mar-21
My arrows are 30" and on the 400 spine I have 100gr filed points and 125 on the 340. Havent tried broadheads but was thinking of going to 150 or 200gr.

11-Mar-21
For that bow, I’d go 300 spine, 30”, and 160 to 200 grains up front. You should get great flight and penetration with that setup.

11-Mar-21
Thank you joey ward. It gets confusing.

11-Mar-21
How long have you been shooting a recurve?

I’ve had really good luck with Stu Miller’s calculator… You can get a downloadable version in Excel for free if you just Google it, and Rick Barbee has a more sophisticated version on his website at Taylortel.net

I would send you there first if for no other reason than to be sure that you are shooting enough mass to not be too hard on your bow, but it does ask you to provide a lot of specific inputs, and if you don’t know the answers it is going to be garbage in/garbage out.

And just to save you some time and trouble getting this all figured out… you’ll get real close to tuned correctly a whole lot faster with Aluminum, and Al is plenty durable if you have a reasonably forgiving backstop. Not saying the guys are steering you wrong, but the dynamics of aluminum are really well understood, so there are a lot of folks who can put you right on to Tuned at whatever GPP you want, and you’ll probably need to shoot for a fair amount of time before you'll be good enough to worry about improving on what they can tell you straight off...

12-Mar-21
If you choose aluminum, the 2317 , 30”, with 160 to 200 grains up front, should work great for your new bow. They are what I use from the same spec bow.

12-Mar-21
Been looking at 350 spine black eagle instinct arrows with a 100gr stainless steel footer up front that comes with them. Should give me good foc.

12-Mar-21
Take the 349 spines haft, put a 150-200 grain broadhead and make sure it flies. Go kill stuff.

• Sitka Gear