Dogman 18-Mar-21
Roper 18-Mar-21
Dogman 18-Mar-21
Shiras42 19-Mar-21
Dyjack 19-Mar-21
12-Mar-21
When do New Mexico landowner tags typically go on sale? Thanks

12-Mar-21
After the draw. They start ripping people off as quick as possible usually.

17-Mar-21
If you aren't entered in the draw you can contact past years tag holders and start the process. Many landowners will have an idea what they will have for tags and if they will sell them. Most tags are controlled by outfitters so contacting them may save you a lot of unanswered phone calls. What units are you looking at?

17-Mar-21
“Most tags are controlled by outfitters”.

Cite your source... That statement is impossible to verify and may be how you feel, but there is no way to know.

17-Mar-21
Landowners get their tags usually the first week of June and they don’t know what tag (bull,cow,bow or rifle/muzz ) they’re getting until they open the envelope and look at it. Some guys put a down payment on them to secure one, some guys pay more than the last guy to get one and in my experience green cash talks !!

18-Mar-21
Biggest scam in hunting history. I still wish they were restricted to Ranch Only at the least.

18-Mar-21
Dogman you and others are the reason I seldom post on bowsite, source myself and many other bowhunters.

18-Mar-21
EA, I called you out for trying to push your gut feelings as fact. It may very well be true but there is no way to know where they go (outside of R/NR/season) Sincere apology if I hurt your feelings.

KHNC, why don’t you complain about the landowner sheep tags in CO? Never seen you get fired up about those. Also, the “Ranch Only” mindset you have shows yet again how you can’t comprehend how the system works.

18-Mar-21
Dogman you couldn't hurt my feelings with a baseball bat. What's your source that tells you that a majority of the NM landowner tags aren't controlled by outfitters? I do know this over the years in my attempts to locate and purchase landowner tags by far the majority of the responses from the landowner is contact this outfitter. I do see by your last post that you are the expert on all things related to NM landowner tags. Always great to have an expert on hand to correct our mindset.

18-Mar-21
EA, glad I didn’t hurt your feelings. No source exists that tells you where they go. So, for you to say that “most go to outfitters” is absolutely unsubstantiated. As I said, they might and you could be right, but there is no data that exists to track where they go before they get activated. You could submit a PIR and see how many go unused, activated by R or NR, and the season they used them on. Beyond that it is pure speculation. I have followed the topic for plenty of years and yes, I am pretty up to speed on the program. There are idiots out there that don’t even know that you can hunt UW properties on a draw tag even though it is spelled out in the proclamation. I would rather be knowledgeable on the subject than have my head buried in the sand.

18-Mar-21
Well we will have you to enlighten all of us that are idiots and have our heads buried in the sand. last comment, I prefer to have my head buried in sand rather than where yours is buried. I will be sure to refer my future landowner tag questions your way.

18-Mar-21
Just trying to bring factual information to the discussion, not conjecture.

18-Mar-21
I know a lot of landowners in my neck of the woods who sell their tags to outfitters and hunters. Most of them tell me that an outfitter usually will show up at the ranch and make the deal and the hunter is calling from out of state and the landowner doesn’t know the hunter. The hunter is on the phone and a lot of outfitters are at the door. Some landowners get 20 to 25 tags and some outfitters buy the same tags every year. That way the landowner gets his money and doesn’t have to worry about selling all the tags by himself every year. I also know landowners who sell their tag/tags to the same hunters every year but the bigger landowners do seem to sell multiple tags to outfitters around here.

18-Mar-21
Just trying to bring factual information to the discussion, not conjecture.

19-Mar-21
I for one have benefited in a couple ways from the LO tags. First by knowing a rancher that I can get one through and second by hunting open ranches...And yes since his tag is unit wide it also means his ranch is open, and I do know people have used it.

19-Mar-21
They 100% go to mostly outfitters. Then are sold for a markup after the fact.

Especially in the privatized units. Outfitters buy bulk tags at a set cost usually year after year in contracts. Then sell them individually for more.

I know this from direct contact with a family ranch that does this. And all the ranches around them do it as well.

Anyone can call landowners to inquire, but more often than not they will already have an outfitter who buys them to resell.

• Sitka Gear