TEmbry 30-Mar-21
sticksender 30-Mar-21
Drnaln 30-Mar-21
Capra 30-Mar-21
IdyllwildArcher 30-Mar-21
Drnaln 30-Mar-21
KHunter 30-Mar-21
14-Mar-21
For those that apply, what’s the up front cost to put in the big game draw in NM?

Have to buy a license? How much? Have to pay up front or CC for tags?

Thanks

14-Mar-21

IdyllwildArcher's Link
Yes, you have to put up the cost of the hunting lic and the tags upfront.

The cost varies. Even the bull elk tag costs vary depending on the unit.

Link is to the costs.

14-Mar-21

IdyllwildArcher's Link
Here's the tag fees.

15-Mar-21
Thanks, may be too busy this year to even consider it, but that’s usually a good problem to have..... too many good tags :)

29-Mar-21
I apply for aggressively - for over 50 tags a year. I am a NR and I do NOT apply for NM sheep, only elk and ibex and occasionally barbary. Odds are far to bad for app fee. If they were 2x as good I still would not apply.

29-Mar-21
That's what I figured! didn't apply. That should help the draw odds for you'all that put in

29-Mar-21
"Odds are far to bad for app fee. If they were 2x as good I still would not apply."

App fee or license fee...?

29-Mar-21
I don't apply for NM sheep either. Borrowing NM thousands of dollars for those odds is just not worth it.

29-Mar-21
No matter how slim the odds are or how high the price is the number of people applying is going up every year in NM.

29-Mar-21
Not worth the non refundable fees for those odds. There are sheep raffles with better odds for that money.

30-Mar-21
^^^ Except that a sheep raffle is a minimum of $20 each ticket usually and you always buy at least 2. If you're putting in for other species on top of sheep, then the only other sunk cost for it is the app fee that is less than a raffle ticket.

Who cares what the odds are. If you want the guarantee to hunt, go private, go TX...

30-Mar-21
Sheep costs an extra $13.00 to apply

30-Mar-21
In past years it was much more "worth it" to apply for sheep in NM, back when everyone had the same draw odds regardless of residency. Now that there's really only one license issued to non-outfitted NR hunters, it's quite a bit less attractive to loan them the 3200.00 for the 1:1200 odds you get. But if you just gotta hunt sheep, you'll probably try it anyway. I still do.

30-Mar-21
"Sheep costs an extra $13.00 to apply"

So that's two Itsa-combos with green chili. Big deal. (New Mexicans understand the analogy...)

30-Mar-21
I must have had it wrong in my head, does NM not charge a CC fee at checkout on top of the permit and license costs?

30-Mar-21
TEmbry, no they don't. I assume they're actually losing money on the deal, with NR's at least, since CC fees for merchants (on-line, card-not-present) run around 3% when charged, and an additional, usually smaller, fee to process a refund.

30-Mar-21
Everyone has their "Breaking Point" when it comes to applying in each state. I met mine this year in Idaho with the increased license cost, tag fee & application fee but the 3% convenience fee is what really made me decide not to apply anymore. Good Luck to all that apply in the draws!

30-Mar-21
ID and NM are two states that are on the edge with regard to sheep. They swiped my card for 6-7K, I don't pay attention to what the refund is but I'm pretty sure they have a way to capitalize those funds. Possibly lending overnight etc. My merchant processor refunds the fee If I refund the money to the client so it is possible that they have an arrangement like that.

Big picture. If you want to try and draw tags you have to apply. The odds are horrible and every year I think something is going to change but the only thing that does is the cost while the odds get worse.

That being said even I may drop out of ID this year tough to justify.

30-Mar-21
It's the borrowing of the money that makes it not worth it when compared with the odds. The interest on $3200 for a couple months is not insignificant and if you're not using a credit card, that $3200 can make a significant amount of money in that same time. The odds are beyond horrible.

Sure, odds are also bad in say, NV and AZ. But if you're already putting in there, it's not that much more to apply for sheep.

30-Mar-21
Where you finding that big interest income on $3200 these days?

30-Mar-21
imagine the odds if they did not take $$ up front. but yes, if need to borrow to apply, probably not a good choice to apply.

• Sitka Gear