archer 16-Mar-21
Teeton 16-Mar-21
Dino 16-Mar-21
wildwilderness 16-Mar-21
joehunter 16-Mar-21
Rsquared 17-Mar-21
Rsquared 18-Mar-21
15-Mar-21
I'm looking for a mech with a conservative cut diameter. Out of these heads , which one do u consider the best choice.. add the 1-1/2 spitfires to that list but my draw weight is 60 lbs so I would like to stay at or under 1-1/4 cut diameter...

15-Mar-21
sorry!

15-Mar-21
I knew that was coming. The internet must be the only place people are having issues killing whitetail with an arrow that's ATleast 400 grains and a mechanical because I know no one in real life that is having issues.... It's a freaking whitetail!!

15-Mar-21
I have used Jak-hammers for years and they have never failed me. Great head

15-Mar-21
Like Krieger says Jak Hammers. I have shot them since 1996. I have taken numerous whitetails four black bears biggest being 408lbs. Always an exit on the bears. Also check out the select o cut. This head will give you a 1.5” cut. I have always shot a 408 grain arrow and never had a penetration issue.

15-Mar-21
I have used the fatal steel with good success. I like how they don't need a band to hold them closed. but they do store better screwed into an arrow to hold the spring.

15-Mar-21
You can shoot about any mechanical with 60 lbs and a reasonable weight arrow for deer. Out of the options you listed I would shoot the Jak Hammer, or the Spitfire.

15-Mar-21
I don't see a reason for a civilian to own a mechanical

15-Mar-21
Listen buddy, I literally gave that topic about 30 seconds of thought in my whole life. I don't care if they take your guns or if they don't..

15-Mar-21
Another nod for Jaks! The little guys, the 1.25’s r super tough and super deadly. Those small little blades r tough and leave a big hole! My son killed a nice bull elk with the 1.25’s! And that head sure did a number on that bull!

15-Mar-21
I have killed 72 deer with Jak hammers and they are great heads. I only shoot them once and change the blades. They come with a practice head. The spare blades are not expensive and easy to change. Ray Charles could follow the blood trails.

15-Mar-21
Sense when have they came with a practice head? I been looking at them and haven't came across a practice head?

15-Mar-21
I bought some years ago that had a practice head and still have it. Before that I tied the blades with dental floss. Could cut the floss off and use it for hunting.

15-Mar-21
Looks like you're looking for a replacement for the Rocket Steelheads much like i've been too. I used a jakhammer one time which was this year. Lost a blade, but poked through the offside and followed a nice blood trail 70 yards. No experience with the shockwaves or Fatal Steels (been eye-balling these). But used a standard Grim Reaper razortip 1 3/8 on the last doe this year. Arrow entered where 2 blades cut the back side of the scapula and exited through the paunch, cutting the back leg to the bone on the way out. High strung deer that wheeled hard at the shot. Blades were still intact and spun true (63#, 29.5" draw, 410 grain arrow). These come with a practice head as well.

Been looking at the Fatal Steels but can find the standards a bit cheaper so that's the route I've gone so far.

15-Mar-21
U ever use the original black rocket steelheads? I have a bunch of them. I just wish they were sharper. That's why I was looking to switch to jakhammers bcs I know wasp has sharp blades

15-Mar-21
My family has killed over a hundred animals with jak-hammers. Including pronghorns, coyotes, turkeys, wood chucks, deer, and 7 bull elk. Match the cutting diameter to your bow set up and the animal you are after, tune them up to shoot perfectly, and go kill stuff!

15-Mar-21
Yes joe hunter. I post alot of threads on this matter and your always promoting those jakhammers. I'll probably go with the 1-1/4 cut... I appreciate your advice

16-Mar-21
Ya Joe holden, I been really eye balling the fatal steels as well,but there a bit pricey. I was also considering the razortips as well so thanks for sharing...

16-Mar-21
U think rocket or another company will ever come out with a head like the steelhead again? Seems like it was a popular head, I'm surprised they discontinued it. I'm always posting threads on the steelheads and heads like it. I just like to hear people's experiences with particular heads

16-Mar-21
I'd look into the 1 1/4" Jakhammers or some of the Pro Series Grim Reaper heads. The Grim Reapers come in a 4-pack so maybe a little better deal???

16-Mar-21
I love the shockwaves. I have been using them on elk, deer and antelope with fantastic results. And you can't beat the price.

16-Mar-21
I use Jackhammers when blind hunting because they'll go through the shoot-thru mesh. Only a few deer with them. Great blood trails but, at least one broken blade each time.

16-Mar-21
I have a bunch of 125 gr Shockwaves I can sell to you very reasonable. Contact me at [email protected]

16-Mar-21
I've killed everything from elk down to turkey with the steelheads. When I found out they where discontinuing them.. I bought as many as I could find. I got a bunch of the old black and maybe 25 of the silver and gold one's. I like the black ones the best.

Now if I was going to another head it would most likely be the jack hammer 1.25 and I many just buy a pack of them and try them this coming fall, I did use them many of years back. jack hammers are second to my steelheads.. I do believe the jackhammer have a sharper blade than the steelhead. But the steelheads hold up great, a put down everything a hit with them. Ed

16-Mar-21
Our group has killed a lot of critters with Jaks. Hogs, deer, elk, moose, turkeys and in our experience we don’t see many broken blades, some bent, but very rarely broken.

16-Mar-21
I have tried all, NAP, WASP, GR. by far the Grim Reapers flew the best for me. I have never had luck with NAP flying well....

16-Mar-21
Yea, I agree with Dino. Not many broken blades on the Jak-Hammers in our experience.

17-Mar-21
If anybody is ever looking for some steelhead 100s I know a guy that has ATleast 150 of them. I came across him online a few months back and he was selling them 3 for $18 plus shipping..I got his number... There black but I don't believe there the originals. I think they are the ones trophy ridge sold right after they bought rocket before they started selling the yellow ones. He told me he bought them off a Jeff guy who was the vice president or something of rocket around 2010-2011. The only thing is that he will only do it if he is payed in full before hand through pay pal but he was straight with me and I got them 3 days after paying him. So if anyone wants his number just private messege me.

18-Mar-21
Anybody try those grim reaper/ old glory heads ?

• Sitka Gear