6pointbull 23-Mar-21
JLeMieux 23-Mar-21
Hancock West 23-Mar-21
JLeMieux 02-Apr-21
BULELK1 02-Apr-21
ELKMAN 05-Apr-21
ELKMAN 05-Apr-21
19-Mar-21
It's time to move my Salomon Quest 4D's to back up status and pick up a new pair of boots for elk hunting in moderate-steep terrain. I have tried on a couple different pairs of Crispis that are in the running. Next I want to try some of the Zamberlans. I'm considering the 996 Vioz, 966 Saguaro, 1013 Leopard, 1014 Lynx, and 1104 Storm Pro. Any thoughts on these? I know there are plenty of other good brands and I'll eventually get to them, but just want to focus on the Zamberlans right now. I've sent PM's to a couple of you already. Don't worry about responding via PM if you would rather respond here.

20-Mar-21
I have the guide gtx someting and they are awesome man!

I also have crispi which i dont like as much

The zamberlans do have a wierd fit though that needs to work with your foot

Good luck man

20-Mar-21
I use the lynx as my main elk hunting boot. Have been really happy with them. Bill

20-Mar-21
I have the zamberlan vioz gtx and they're awesome boots. I went with full grain leather because i needed a waterproof boot that will stay waterproof for multiple years. The waterproof liners on synthetic boots break down after a year of use in my experience.

The zamberlans are extremely comfortable and i've had no issues with blisters. I wax them when they need it and they've been completely waterproof after a couple years use.

The downside is they're fairly heavy. If you're hunting from a truck or basecamp where you can keep a second set of boots or boot dryer i'd go with a lighter synthetic boot. If you're hiking in and tent camping for a week and getting wet feet isn't an option i'd highly recommend the zamberlans.

20-Mar-21
I’ve got the Zamberlan 1006 VIOZ Plus GTX, and think they are a great boot.

20-Mar-21
I wear the 980 Outfitter and have zero complaints.

20-Mar-21
Thanks for the responses. I think I've crossed the Saguaro off the list because of weight. I'm going to order the the Storm Pros and either Vioz or Leopard first to try them I believe.

21-Mar-21
I bought a pair off Camofire.com and the fit is weird. They fit one foot fine but the other not so much. Around the ankle & heel area. I wear them as a yard work boot but couldn't hike any distance with them.

21-Mar-21
I am not at all current on the different model designations, but I had a pair of Zams that fit my feet perfectly, and I put many, many miles on them with never a single issue.

JMO, there are a whole lot more bad fits than bad boots; find one that works with your foot, and you will be a happy hunter. Buy anything else whatsoever, and your feet are going to let you know about it.

21-Mar-21

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
I bought these for my B-day gift to myself back in late February and I have been very happy with them on break-in hikes.

Good luck, Robb

21-Mar-21
Robb, are those the Smilodon?

22-Mar-21

BULELK1's embedded Photo
BULELK1's embedded Photo
Yes Sir

Good eye

I'm wearing them doing most every thing to get a good feel for them, even going to fold a load of clothes.......oh the life of a bachelor! haha

Robb

23-Mar-21
Thanks Robb. If one of the other pairs ends up working out, I may try out the Smilodon for late season.

23-Mar-21
I think the quality is awesome , but I also has fit problems in the heel area. I have narrow feet so may be part of the problem. I can't wear them for long hikes as they bother my feet. It I know it is going to be a shorter hike or hunt then I will wear them. I use them around the house or yard work. I added some insoles which helped a bit but still cant use them for longer hikes

23-Mar-21
Unfortunately, I don't have anywhere local to try a pair on. Closest would be REI, 3.5 hrs away. I'll just have to order them and send them back if necessary.

23-Mar-21
I have the zamberlan outfitter gtx and I like them alot. They are comfortable and have high ankle support.

02-Apr-21
I went and ordered the Leopards to try for now. Came in today and feel pretty good so far. Need to wear them around the house some more to decide if I'm going to keep them but my initial thought is I will.

02-Apr-21
Good for you!

Enjoy,

Robb

05-Apr-21
Best boots made in my opinion. Lynx is the best for elk.

05-Apr-21
I love Crispi. My foot just loves Zamberlan more. Just one more proof in point I WILL ALWAYS go with what I believe in regardless of what I pay... Period

• Sitka Gear