>>>---WW----> 22-Mar-21
PSUhoss 22-Mar-21
PAOH 22-Mar-21
Garan 22-Mar-21
t-roy 22-Mar-21
DEMO-Bowhunter 23-Mar-21
20-Mar-21
Getting ready to build a new shed. 12 foot side walls

Want to go ahead and build in a hoist for deer when they build it.

Any recommendations on the best one?

20-Mar-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
I just picked this one up at Harbor Freight last week, for my new shed as well, Bake. It’s rated for 770+ lbs with a single cable.

20-Mar-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
This is the one that I have in my old shed. I’m not sure if it’s a Pittsburgh brand or not. I think I bought it through Cabelas about 20 years ago. It still works great, and I’ve never had any problems with it. It was rated for 400 lbs and it would lift every bit of that.

One thing that I would highly recommend is to get about 20’-25’ of cord for the remote control. The ones that come with the units are WAY too short. Pretty easy to re-wire them.

20-Mar-21
Damn Bake...just how big ARE the deer in your neck of the woods?!!

20-Mar-21
Correction Damn t-roy...just how big ARE the deer in your neck of the woods?!!

20-Mar-21
If Troy hadn’t, I would have suggested Harbor Freight. I see Troy’s a tightwad like me, but sometimes cheap stuff works !

20-Mar-21
Yep, t-Roy’s a tightwad for sure:)

20-Mar-21
Us tightwads prefer the term “frugal”!

20-Mar-21
Thrifty is another descriptor for cheap sons 'o beaches.

20-Mar-21
I'm Frugal like T-Roy and the rest of you Guy's, I got one from Horrorble Freight just like his 1300#er, we got BIG deer here in Illinois, you just never know.LOL.

Kurt

20-Mar-21
Dang it... might just have to replace the old hand crank boat winch I now use. You guys are always costing me money.

20-Mar-21
I’m using the same model from HF as t-roy. I think I’ve used it 4 seasons without any problems.

20-Mar-21
Not all the deer in t-roys neck of the woods are 700lb, but t-roy only seems to shoot the ones that are at their peak....

I know a handful of ppl that have the harbor freight gigs and love them. Like t-roy said tho, the factory control cords can be short which isnt as nice

20-Mar-21
Oh my! Is this a bowsite first? Is this unanimous?!?!?

Thanks everyone

20-Mar-21
I have had good luck with the harbor freight 880lb. I use it for deer & hoisting the front of the tractor up to clean & sharpen the blades. I have also used it to remove a concrete fire ring from my truck.

20-Mar-21

PAOH 's embedded Photo
PAOH 's embedded Photo
I have had good luck with the harbor freight 880lb. I use it for deer & hoisting the front of the tractor up to clean & sharpen the blades. I have also used it to remove a concrete fire ring from my truck.

20-Mar-21
Lots better results than your “man purse” thread, Bake!

20-Mar-21

PAOH 's embedded Photo
PAOH 's embedded Photo

20-Mar-21
I had what I think was the Cabelas/ Pittsburg hoist for about 20 years. When the yellow handle crapped out on me, I bought a Champion 440/880 just to ruin the unanimous thread. ;)

21-Mar-21
A lot of folks here equate 'best' with 'cheapest' ;-)

21-Mar-21
+1 t-roy

Good luck, Robb

21-Mar-21
Yup, same unit in my pole barn. Very reliable and a great price.

21-Mar-21
I’ve had my Harbor Freight for years. Works like a charm

21-Mar-21

TEmbry's embedded Photo
TEmbry's embedded Photo
We can combine shipping if you want, just PM me

21-Mar-21
I think we might want to step back with the frugal and thrifty descriptors. Yes, we are all probably walking around with holes in our underwesr and socks because we don't want to spend the money on new ones, but we don't hesitate to drop $2,500 on a new bow setup or 3 to 4 times that on a hunt. :)

21-Mar-21
I don't know about hoists, but the Pittsburg floor jack I had was a piece of shit.

21-Mar-21

woodguy65's embedded Photo
woodguy65's embedded Photo
Same one - I use for more than just deer as well, very handy. Got mine through Cabelas about 10 years ago.

21-Mar-21
PAOH, Would you post a picture of how you have your hoist mounted up in the rafters? Thanks.

21-Mar-21

Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Grey Ghost's embedded Photo
Here's my multi-purpose hoist. ;-)

Matt

21-Mar-21
DanaC, most of us here are conservatives, which means we have to earn and spend our own money, so............

21-Mar-21
I use the same as Ghost plus the bucket doubles as hauler when I need it Good luck Lewis

21-Mar-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Garan.........I used a piece of pipe through the brackets on the top of the hoist, then chained it to the rafters, on my old hoist. This is how I’m planning to mount the new hoist in my new shop. I got a piece of 1 1/2” x 1” tubular steel, drilled a couple of holes for the 8” long 5/8” bolts in the pic. I plan on putting a couple of 2x6s flat across several of the rafters to hopefully spread the weight bearing across at least a couple of the rafters, which are 2 ft on center in my shed. I’ll drill holes through those 2 x 6s and run the bolts through, put a big flat washer & a nut on the backside.

21-Mar-21
Drycreek, I'm a fiscal conservative myself, and I long ago learned to buy 'quality' and save in the long run. Cry once, buy once ;-)

21-Mar-21
Garan, I mounted a 10’ piece of 1 5/8” unistrut on top of the bottom chord of truss. I will post a picture when I get a chance.

21-Mar-21
If I get 20 years out of this cheap new winch, I’ll live with that.....

22-Mar-21

PAOH 's embedded Photo
PAOH 's embedded Photo

22-Mar-21

PAOH 's embedded Photo
PAOH 's embedded Photo

22-Mar-21
PAOH & t-roy, Thanks guys. My trusses span 27 feet and I was wondering how much weight they could support.

22-Mar-21
Mine are the same length as yours. I talked to the guy that engineered the trusses. He stated that I would have no issues with hoisting a deer. I am spanning 3 trusses. The fire ring is 700lbs

22-Mar-21
I'm with Gray Ghost. The bucket on my tractor works for me!

22-Mar-21

PSUhoss's embedded Photo
PSUhoss's embedded Photo
Same here. Works great for many home uses besides a deer hoist.

I lift the front of the zero turn to clean up the deck, lift the generator into the pick up, lifted a wood stove onto a trailer, even used it to lift off the hard top of our jeep.

22-Mar-21

22-Mar-21
PAOH Good to know. If it will hold 700lbs. it should work for anything I would need.

22-Mar-21
Garan.......In my old shop, I made a removable brace out of some 2” metal electrical conduit, that went from the floor up to the bottom of the rafter that the hoist was mounted on. I was concerned about the potential load bearing issues as well. It worked extremely well, and took about 5 seconds to install/remove. Honestly, I don’t think I really needed it, but it certainly didn’t hurt anything.

23-Mar-21

DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo
DEMO-Bowhunter's embedded Photo
Have one of these at my house and at the farm. Only use for one deer at home, so just threaded an eyelet into the truss for the pulley and mounted the hoist to the wall at home. At the farm, we installed an I-beam and use beam trollies and beam clamps to hang the deer from. Hoist works well and not overly expensive.

• Sitka Gear