spike buck 25-Mar-21
spike buck 27-Mar-21
sleddogpa 01-Apr-21
spike buck 02-Apr-21
Screwball 02-Apr-21
hadllton 22-Apr-21
hadllton 22-Apr-21
20-Mar-21
So hopefully we are heading up to Pine acres in the fall. Thinking about buying an ATV for the hunt. For those of you who have gone how much of a benefit is it to have one? We are coming up with my buddies truck so not sure if we would need one or have much use for one.

20-Mar-21
Well I have been going up there since 1983. I can tell you to speak with Chris and see where he is going to have you hunt. Always listen to your guide! I always like having an atv with as it gives many options. But Chris has many of his often over 100 baits within easy driving then short walking distance. But having options open is always good. Remember to have registration, license, or proof of ownership. Have to have a helmet of some sort also.

20-Mar-21
May see you up there. Seriously considering retirement this spring.

21-Mar-21
When I crossed the border with mine.....I was told both times to have vehicle insurance for my ATV. It's like $6 for the basic policy (one month) thru my insurance company (USAA) and yes it was valid in Canada. Was never asked about registration/license or title....although I carried the title with me. I used my ATV both times I had it. If you're DIY.....I'd consider it mandatory.

21-Mar-21
If you take it make sure your trailer is set up for Canada. I believe you need a certian style of safety chain on it.

21-Mar-21

spike buck's embedded Photo
Just noticed this thread. Our "New" BMA is 75% ATV access only. The new area is only a 10 minute drive from camp.

JL is correct on the insurance. Must have insurance and registration for riding trails ect. As Brian said, bring a helmet.

Also, keep in touch with me pre hunt and I will keep you updated on access needed for baits.

21-Mar-21
Thanks for all the info. Thanks Chris, would the ATV also help in the baiting process? As well as if we are lucky enough to be able to take a bear can we drive to the bear and load it up or will be restricted to where we go? This will be our first semi guided and we can’t wait. We enjoy the hands on aspect of the hunt so we are excited to say the least.

21-Mar-21
I don't have ATV trails right to the bait site. We always carry the bears from bait to ATV. We will help track and retrieve. ***New rules for 2021, Bait's use to have to be 200 Metre's from road or trails. Now only have to be 30 Metre's off roads or trails.

21-Mar-21
I have hunted there many times! If you hate the idea of hiring a guide because you want the opportunity to do things your self this is the place to be! Chris or his helping hand takes you first night to your bait. After the first night you are on your own (chris or help is always a phone call away) and it is a crazy experience to say the least! The baiting of bears is super easy they give you a 10lb pack of bait every night to take to your bait stand barrel up dump it in and climb in stand! For shooting the bear and tracking I 100% recommend a quality gps or calling chris. Do not attempt to track a bear on your own without it even if you see bear go down or hear death moan! Always meet back with your group and then proceed in to get bear as a group if you do t have gps we have set a guy on bait barrel and go I track in and yell back and forth! And be ready to work as a team after you smoke one cause these aren’t white tails they are not east to drag through the bush!!! I’d wish you good luck but not sure you’ll need it hunting with chris! 2 years ago i shot a pope and young first few hours into my sit 3 years ago shot bear 2nd to last night! Don’t ever get frustrated they will come!!! One of the best hands on trips I’ve ever been on!!!

21-Mar-21

Bear whisperer's embedded Photo
Bear whisperer's embedded Photo
This is my bear from the spring before covid! Took us 3 hours to get out of the bush with my buddy’s! It was the longest 3 hours but one of the best 3 hours of my life working as a team sharing laughs and spending time with friends!!!

21-Mar-21

First guy has the gurney... all bear retrievals will get your heart working hard!!
First guy has the gurney... all bear retrievals will get your heart working hard!!
This bow kill was across beaver dam in above pic
This bow kill was across beaver dam in above pic
We have gurneys for carrying the bears from bait to vehicle. Always go to get bears with as many hunters as we can.

22-Mar-21

BASHER's embedded Photo
2019 BEAR
BASHER's embedded Photo
2019 BEAR
I've had the opportunity to hunt with Chris and his team a few times and I can't say enough good things about them. They are truly a top notch outfit and some of the best people you could hope to meet anywhere. The country is rugged and can be very remote so an ATV is not a bad idea but not necessarily essential. Keep in touch with Chris before the hunt and he will advise you on what to expect and what to bring. Good luck to you on your first hunt, I am positive it will not be your last.

23-Mar-21
Be sure to have the ATV and trailer "clean" for the border crossing each way. They often check an atv, SxS (or a tractor when you are moving) for mud and soil...could contain noxious weed seeds. Good luck on the hunt.

23-Mar-21
Kurt is correct.... if you have mud, grass etc on your truck ATV or trailer, wash it all off. We have a washing station at the driveway to clean up vehicles. Some have been turned back and told to wash vehicles.

23-Mar-21

Screwball and his bow kill chocolate Bear!!
Screwball and his bow kill chocolate Bear!!
When you hit a bear, there's a good chance you will have cell service. If not get up on a hill or back in your stand for a signal, like the show Green Acres on TV.

Screwball ( Brian ) phoned me and Ben. We were both in different areas at the time Brian phoned. By the time I got to the Kill site, bear was already at the truck LOL. Ben was texted and he got a few guys together and arrived at site 1 hour before I did.

Brian's Bait site was called helicopter Bait for a reason. Need a helicopter to make retrieval easier.

23-Mar-21
sleddogpa. you picked the right outfitter when you picked cris and his guides. we went with him 3 years ago and i shot a 400# monster ( squared 6' 8" 11 1/2 years ) my son and i will be back 8/22/21 and can't wait. listen to cris and you cant go wrong, he's been guiding all his life for bear.

23-Mar-21

My means of baiting the trails back in the day
My means of baiting the trails back in the day
3 wheelers i don't think were invented yet late 70's. Would pack bait on my back and seat of my bike.... then the 3 wheeler came out. wheelers was gods gift to bear hunters... now we have it made with 4 wheelers. Side by sides are too wide for most of our ATV trails.

23-Mar-21
Every trip to Pine Acres is an experience and like being with family. That bear was a chore to retrieve but, what a dream and a rush. Twelve death moans and it went 25 yards. It just wouldn't give up the ghost. If you will trust Chris, Saxson, and Lottie, you will have a great experience.

23-Mar-21

Screwball when he was a kid...mid 80's
Screwball when he was a kid...mid 80's
Brian used 3 wheelers to access the site where he took this bear. Trail network was called Check Station. There was a game Check Station manned by Game wardens at the beginning of this trail. Stopped all hwy #105 traffic going South.

Brian and his brother were travelling with the 3 wheelers one day. Brian got to bait first and he could hear his brother winding his wheelers engine speeding down the trail towards him. Real loud. Heard him changing gears then all of a sudden there was complete silence from the wheeler. His brother missed a turn and ended up in the swamp. He slowed down after that...

Back then the Fall Bear season use to start mid September.

23-Mar-21
I know we are excited to go and I’m sure the next few months will fly by. What do you all recommend as “must haves” when heading up for this hunt.

23-Mar-21
LMAO! There is no white in the beard. My first bear there, Chris nick-named me, missed and missed again, I had a tendency to get excited! Boy we have had fun. And for the record, Jerry was on stand I missed the corner going air born and down a straight cliff about twenty feet. Thank goodness for those "soft tag alders", got up, started the Honda 185 and drove back around to the trail.

23-Mar-21

Internet service could be slow at times
Internet service could be slow at times
I would recommend getting your Bear license on line before you leave your home. I will get the information to you as who to contact well before your hunt date. If you want to try wolves get your CITES permit about 1 month before.

Bring your groceries.... buy before you cross Border. Including beer etc. We will get you your Bear exports needed before you leave.

The posts above actually are very helpfull, from having insurance and registration for your 4 wheeler along with helmet to making sure your vehicles are clean before crossing into USA.

We supply all tree stands. Bring safety belt for stands. We use commercial ladder stands and big permanent tree stands built out of 2x6's.

As I got older, the permanent tree stands got bigger and stronger. I'll find some pics to post.

*** Make sure you get "International" service for your cell phone... Internet is very slow so don't plan on it.

24-Mar-21
Before you cross into Canada advise your credit card company that you’re coming, otherwise might not work if you need to use your credit card

24-Mar-21
Along that lines Pasquale mentioned......I will convert some US dollars to Canadian dollars so I have some local money in case I need it.

24-Mar-21
If you bring ATV's, you will have to bring them back and forth each day. We do not have area's where you can ride from camp to bait area's. A couple of BMA's, we have deeded land within where you can leave them safely.... its not the humans that are the reason we don't like to stash them afield but the bears have a tendency to wreak Havok on them. Many times you will see your seat torn or chewed on or worse.

How many have had that happen to their 4 wheelers??

24-Mar-21
I guess the bears are seat sniffers.

I carried bait on mine so I suppose that can attract them.

24-Mar-21
JL, I had both my 2 front tires punctured by bears at the same time along with ripping the fenders. Cost me almost $700.00 to repair the damage in one instance. The bait would drip off the rack and onto tires. They are enticed to soft objects.

24-Mar-21
The only bear issues I had in the bush was a trail cam got a hole in the sensor. It made a great video.

24-Mar-21

Permanent Stand...
Permanent Stand...
16' ladder stand. Compound bow stand. Bring own cushion for the seat. Shooting rails are removeable or can be raised, 17 to 23 yard shots.
16' ladder stand. Compound bow stand. Bring own cushion for the seat. Shooting rails are removeable or can be raised, 17 to 23 yard shots.
Here is an example of our new style "Permanent" tree stands.

Example of the 16 foot ladder stands... we also use 2 man ladder stands.

24-Mar-21

This bear still roams our Bear Management Area... we'll try for him this Fall. 1rst pic 2017, 2nd 2018, third 2017.

This bait is 200 metres off the road. We actually had to use a measuring tape to make sure legal distance from road. New rules allows us to move the bait much closer to the road. Baiting area is pick up truck accessible.

25-Mar-21

Taken by Compound Bow
Taken by Compound Bow
***We will not be taking any bears out of our BMA's till our hunters can finally get up here to hunt. Last bear we took out of our BMA's was Sept 2019. Going to be fun once the Border opens!! Lucky for us there is a negligible amount of bears taken around here by Residents!!

On the brightside, Ontario Government just announce a good sized grant for Outfitters and Small businesses to hold them over till they can reopen.

25-Mar-21

Low Level water crossing...
Low Level water crossing...
This pic shows what hunters will have to put their vehicles through. Low Level Water Crossings are the worse you have to drive through. Our closest bait is a 10 minute drive to 1.5 hour drive. We have 10 large Bear Management Areas for our hunters.

27-Mar-21

I forgot about the bait site where we took this bear... Bait was right on the old ATV trail. When the bear was hit it ran down the trail and collapsed right on the trail. The Bait site name was "Drive By Shooting".

If you put your four wheeler in the back of your pickup truck. Make sure you have a rack of some sort to make sure that when you hit a bump the front of the wheeler does not go through the back window. Usually happens when an unexpected bump surprises you and you slam on your brakes.

01-Apr-21
So this question has nothing to do with an ATV. I’ve read and seen a lot of info on broadheads for bears. Now I don’t want to start a big debate on broadheads. I’ve used both fixed and mechanical with great success. Those of you who have used both, for bears, do you see a difference in performance and the biggest is with tracking.

02-Apr-21

Rage Broadhead...
Rage Broadhead...
Died within 15 yards of the bait. If arrow is placed right, like any other good broadhead, a Rage does a great job in a clean quick kill!!

02-Apr-21
A well paced broadhead will result in a quick kill. As Chris stated. I only use fix blade and my bear posted above was at 1 1/8" cut muzzy 125 grain. Won't debate my choice but as you can see shot placement is key.

22-Apr-21

hadllton's Link
Composing an investigation study has various advances, everybody needs to recognize a subject, do sweeping assessment of best school schoolwork help destinations, spend anxious evenings book and altering. Indeed, even restless evenings don't confirm an A+ rating. Without a doubt, fiction isn't simple. There might be some who are fabric in jot abstract works, and are gifted of conveying adequately their own examination projects, yet best part can't the score with compose an eloquent section. To mitigate the attention on achieved close to composed tasks, business analyze papers are made promptly realistic nearby various composing sites. Understudies may not realize how to do an enquire dossier, perpetual when they are determined talks in school; novices ordinarily think that its knotty to do it first on the prime rare attempts. In any case, research declaration necessities can quietness be consented to. Disregarding unmanageable timetables and incalculable activities, understudies would moment be able to present A be essay writer cheap . An ever increasing number of individuals are in the current conditions compelling assistance better of the sponsorship reality near the sites.

22-Apr-21

hadllton's Link
Composing an investigation study has various advances, everybody needs to recognize a subject, do sweeping assessment of best school schoolwork help destinations, spend anxious evenings book and altering. Indeed, even restless evenings don't confirm an A+ rating. Without a doubt, fiction isn't simple. There might be some who are fabric in jot abstract works, and are gifted of conveying adequately their own examination projects, yet best part can't the score with compose an eloquent section. To mitigate the attention on achieved close to composed tasks, business analyze papers are made promptly realistic nearby various composing sites. Understudies may not realize how to do an enquire dossier, perpetual when they are determined talks in school; novices ordinarily think that its knotty to do it first on the prime rare attempts. In any case, research declaration necessities can quietness be consented to. Disregarding unmanageable timetables and incalculable activities, understudies would moment be able to present A be essay writer cheap. An ever increasing number of individuals are in the current conditions compelling assistance better of the sponsorship reality near the sites.

• Sitka Gear