Kurt 22-Mar-21
DrewB 22-Mar-21
12yards 23-Mar-21
wildwilderness 23-Mar-21
Kurt 23-Mar-21
Bowfreak 23-Mar-21
midwest 24-Mar-21
21-Mar-21
I’m setting up the new bow (first new bow in 18 years) and was wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages to the new to me smaller diameter arrows v the larger “standard” size arrows? 29.5” draw @70lbs. Fixed blade heads.

21-Mar-21
Depends more on your arrow weight than the diameter I would think. Yes a heavier arrow will be a bit slower, but when it gets to your critter, it keeps on going better than a light weight arrow will. With the horsepower you are using, I'd look at my arrow weight more than one or two mm. TMBB

21-Mar-21
The only time small OD shafts have an advantage is when going through bone. Even then, it's dependent on whether or not the BH made big hole or a bullet hole in the bone.

I like my arrow shaft to be slightly smaller than the BH ferrule but, not so small that it's a pain to fletch.

21-Mar-21
Like you I had changed up my archery equipment, and after testing I settled with the 5mm shafts, decent diameter for weight and less wind drag/drift, I only shoot the FMJ 5mm from Easton, the metal jacket has great added penetration and is about 11gr per inch in weight, not to mention how easy they are to pull out of a 3-D target.

21-Mar-21
X-man x 2

21-Mar-21
Not a ton of difference when shooting the weight you are and a nice long draw. I would go with a moderate total arrow weight of say 450-525 grains with a great coc broadhead and hunt anything in the world with maybe the exception of some of the huge African game or water buff. Shawn

21-Mar-21
All else being equal (weight, durability, cost, etc) smaller has some advantages but on the list of things that will likely make a difference on a particular shot in the next 18years, arrow diameter is way down the list.

21-Mar-21
I've been super happy with 5mm FMJ. Awesome penetration on animals and easy to pull from targets. I've had complete pass through on both shoulders of bull elk and a cow moose (no bone).

21-Mar-21
Thanks all for the feedback!

21-Mar-21
Love 5mm. Fmjs

21-Mar-21
I like 4 mm. Fan of the skinny arrows forsure

21-Mar-21
I like my 5mm Axis shafts. Easy to fletch and hit hard.

21-Mar-21
4mm deep impacts, been very pleased with these using HIT inserts. Fletching has never been any more difficult on the micro shafts for me.

22-Mar-21
Love the 4mm Deep Six FMJ injexions. Been using them since they came out. Now that they are getting phased out I'm going with the 4mm FMJs. I use a titanium half outsert from Easton on them which is 55grs. With the Ignitor nocks on the back my total arrow weight is around 490.

22-Mar-21
4mm Easton Carbon Injexion fan here. They are obsolete this year so I bought a couple more dozen to last me a few more years. I use Firenock outserts so I can use regular threaded broadheads. 475 gr arrow out of a 65# 29" draw bow.

22-Mar-21
Thanks everyone, right now I’m leaning towards 5mm Axis. The math says it should give me the best balance between speed, momentum, KE and bow efficiency. The 4mm Axis in a slightly stiffer spine (I’m right on the line between 300/250 on the charts) might be a tick better but it’s a trade off in each area. Guess it’s time to go pick some up and start testing....

23-Mar-21
None of the above. I use 6.5 mm shafts. Agree that small diameter provides a miniscule penetration advantage. More to do with what is on the front cutting its way in. I don't really want to deal with outserts. That's why I choose a little fatter shaft. That and they are usually cheaper. IMO, the only thing small diameter helps with is wind.

23-Mar-21
It all depends on your shooting/hunting requirements.

20yds on a whitetail with your draw/poundage you can pretty much shoot whatever you want!

I hunt mountains and tundra with lots of wind and wide open shots and practice with that set up at 100 yards regularly. I use the 4mm injexions with a low profile vane for wind, hit inserts and iron will collars.

I have another heavier arrow set up for my close range tree stand /ground blind bow with 5mm axis shafts (best value arrow) brass hit inserts, wraps larger vane, lighted nock for a 560gr + arrow.

23-Mar-21
I agree with wildwilderness. 4mm shafts come into their own for spot and stalk hunting the high country. I wouldn't buy them if you are tree standing whitetails, although they work very well for that too. Shafts are relatively expensive, then you add several more dollars a shaft for outserts or collars....unless you like the D-6 system which I don't.

23-Mar-21
The smaller shafts are less prone to wind drift. That is the main advantage since most modern compound setups have penetration energy to burn. I believe .204 provide the most pros vs. cons.

24-Mar-21
I'm building some .204's this year.

I would like to try the super skinnies but I'm not going to deal with the half outs or D-6. The Snyder Core System from Iron Will would be ideal if I had Bowfreak's money. ;-)

• Sitka Gear