TODDY 22-Mar-21
Inshart 23-Mar-21
sticksender 23-Mar-21
txhunter58 23-Mar-21
JohnMC 23-Mar-21
txhunter58 23-Mar-21
DrewB 24-Mar-21
21-Mar-21
Just need some clarification before applying? So if your first choice is PP, and end up drawing your second choice your points don't get used correct? Also if you draw your second choice and say draw in Wyoming as well can you return your Colorado Tag and still keep your point?

21-Mar-21
That is all correct...

21-Mar-21
Yes. You won't draw your 2nd if you draw your first.

21-Mar-21
Last Year, I drew NM (applied to an "easy draw" LE unit in CO as a backup). Drew CO as well.

Had to burn my 3 PPs in Colorado, or pay the full tag price. The "window" for turning your tags in, only "lives" for a short time. Just FYI.

21-Mar-21
Another way to do it would be to apply for an impossible to draw tag as your first choice and an easier to draw tag as your second choice. When you don't draw your first choice you'll earn another preference point. If you draw your second choice your preference points won't be used. Then if you want to return your second choice tag you'll get a refund and your preference points won't be in play.

21-Mar-21
No offense but I can't imagine burning 3 pts. for the measley $600 you got back for it. You already had a substantial amount in it. Money is worth more to some people than others.

22-Mar-21
Yeah, I would have ate the tag cost too. Wasting the money sucks but 3 points is 3 years of your life you can't get back...

22-Mar-21
I think I have the same question as the original but just want to clarify it. I would like to get a PP. I would also like to apply for a cow tag in a unit with very high odds of drawing. If I apply for the PP as my first choice, the cow tag as my second and am then successful in drawing the cow tag will I still get my PP? Also, don't want to end up with just the PP and no chance at the cow tag. TIA, Jeff

22-Mar-21
“ If I apply for the PP as my first choice, the cow tag as my second and am then successful in drawing the cow tag will I still get my PP? ”

Yes.

22-Mar-21
BOWNBIRDHNTER, when you mention "very high odds", what does that mean? The hunt will have to be under-subscribed by first choice applicants (100% draw), for you to have a chance to draw it as 2nd choice.

22-Mar-21
Typically this unit has left over cow elk tags so my odds of drawing should be good.

22-Mar-21
"The "window" for turning your tags in, only "lives" for a short time. Just FYI."

not really true, you know you drew by 1st week in June. You have until 30 days before hunt starts to ask for refund or return pref points. That leave a long time to decide no matter how early your big game hunt starts...

22-Mar-21
Sorry, I meant the window for withdrawing your application. Unfortunately, Colorado now has their draw deadline before WYO and NM results , and you can only withdraw your app before the drawing deadline.

Last Year, it was April 7th I believe.

Didn't use to be an issue, when WY results came out early.

22-Mar-21
Trying to follow along with this one: Let's say I currently have 3 points. I apply and put a tough draw unit as my first choice and a unit that only takes two PP's to draw as my second choice. According to what I am seeing above it sounds like I should draw my second choice and still retain my PP's. Can I just continue to do that over the years and keep hunting the same unit over and over never buying any more points than the three I have? That sounds too good. What am I missing? TODDY

22-Mar-21
If you put in for a second choice that takes 2 points to draw you have no chance of drawing your second choice. You will only get a second choice tag if 100% of people that put in for that tag as first choice gets it and there are left over tags still. Then it is basically a random draw for those that put in for it as a second choice for any remaining tags.

22-Mar-21
There is absolutely no need to put in for ‘hard to draw’ unit as your 1st Choice. Just put in the Pref Point Code.

We only did that years ago, before there was a designated Pref Point Code.

22-Mar-21
I didn't think 2nd, 3rd or 4th choices even looked at preference points? If tags were available it was a random draw?

22-Mar-21
That's correct. Only first choices use preference points.

Yeah Brad, I guess I've never applied for a preference point as first choice and a tag as a second choice so I wasn't 100% sure how it worked.

22-Mar-21
If I just want a PP, do I still have to pay the full tag fee or just the draw and hunting license fees?

22-Mar-21
No. You don’t have to pay for the tag up front any more. You have to buy the “qualifying license” + a habitat stamp + the app fee. No tag feee unless you draw

22-Mar-21
Colorado uses PREFERENCE POINTS. That means the people with the most points have PREFERENCE in the drawing and ALWAYS get the tags first in the first drawing. Your name is not selected randomly like bonus point states. It is selected for first choice tags because you have more preference points than other people.

So as stated, if you put a PP as your first choice, you would have zero chance of drawing a tag that takes 2 points. A second choice tag is only possible if there are leftover tags after ALL the people with PPs get drawn.

22-Mar-21
That makes more sense. It definitely sounded too good to be true..... ;0)

23-Mar-21
Drew, here's what you will do: E-P-999-99-A ....... Non-Resident qualifier (NR small game plus stamps, $93.96)

23-Mar-21
Quote: "Drew, here's what you will do: E-P-999-99-A...."

FWIW, that code is not correct.....needs to end in a "P" instead "A".

Of course the system would catch it.

23-Mar-21
And total amount:

E-P-999-99-P

Total: $104.36

23-Mar-21
Txhunter above you are almost correct. Except this statement :

“ A second choice tag is only possible if there are leftover tags after ALL the people with PPs get drawn.”

It would be all people that put in first choice. Someone with zero points but put in first choice will always draw over someone that put in for unit second choice.

23-Mar-21
Yep. There are so many nuances.

24-Mar-21
Thanks! Here to a successful preference point draw!! ????

• Sitka Gear