Hessticles 23-Mar-21
t-roy 23-Mar-21
JLeMieux 23-Mar-21
Stryker 25-Mar-21
sjj 26-Mar-21
22-Mar-21

Hessticles's embedded Photo
Hessticles's embedded Photo
My dream of killing a droptine was shattered, this was the only droptine I have ever seen. I seen this deer opening morning after I shot a 155" in full velvet but he never gave me a shot. Fast forward to October and he was a fighter and broke off his beam. I ended up passing him 3 times after that. The last time I seen him he looked really run down from rutting and quit getting pictures of him, and my assumption of him being dead was right!

22-Mar-21
Definitely sucks when you end up finding a targeted buck dead. At least you know what happened to him (kind of). I’ve had a bunch of bucks over the years, that just seem to disappear, and never show up the following year.

A big droptine buck is on my wishlist, too!

23-Mar-21
at least you seen one i never seen a drop tined buck in my life

better to have seen and lost than never to have seen at all.

23-Mar-21
Dang what a shame,,good luck man ,finding another drop tine buck....

23-Mar-21
I hope you kill one with two drop tines now.

Big mature deer are hard on each other.

23-Mar-21

wilbur's embedded Photo
Still chasing this guy
wilbur's embedded Photo
Still chasing this guy

23-Mar-21
That's a bummer for sure! Maybe there's some genetics floating around your place for the future... A droptine buck is HIGH on my list of dream deer.

23-Mar-21
So, honest question to the OP. In hindsight, would you have rather killed this buck with a broken antler, or find him dead like you did?

Matt

23-Mar-21

Rth1229's embedded Photo
Rth1229's embedded Photo
Man that sucks. This was the only one I’ve ever seen. Wasn’t my target buck last year but when it feels right you gotta take it.

23-Mar-21

JLeMieux's embedded Photo
I had something similar happen a few years back. I was getting pictures of a buck with a big wound or tumor hanging from it's chest. Everyone in the area knew about him and I was getting regular pictures in Sept and into Oct. Found him dead in late Oct. I went in and hung a stand to close in on him and found what was left of the carcass 20 yds away.

23-Mar-21

23-Mar-21
JLeMieux interesting how that buck is obviously gaunt in the photos, but you figure he must have been decently healthy to grow the big rack. Otherwise the rack usually suffers as well. So that tumor deal must have come on somewhat quick or how long had you seen the tumor on him?

Sucky deal Hessticles. A big dropper is on everyone's list I imagine.

23-Mar-21

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Bummer Hessticles!

Gotta love drop tines!

23-Mar-21
That tumor must have been hard to run with when it got moving. Nice deer everyone and sorry about that Hessticles . Mike, I like the old barn wood look.

23-Mar-21
Grey ghost I'd rather pass him hoping he'd survive, I'm the type if I kill something all broken up he stays that way the way I killed him. I don't get tines repaired. I kick myself for not being ready opening day when he was in velvet, but I was in shock I had just killed my first velvet. Then I would have been tagged out first hour of opening day which would have ate at me all year also.

23-Mar-21
There’s worse things than being tagged out early, Tanner! ;-)

23-Mar-21
Adam, word around the area was that he had that for a couple years atleast. He looked a little worse early-mid summer but was starting to put some weight back on. One theory/story was that he had been shot by a youth hunter with a .223 3-4 years prior. The shot was hard quartering away. It never penitrated the cavity and got stuck just under the skin. I only got pictures of it that year so I really don't positively know how long it had been like that.

25-Mar-21

Stryker's embedded Photo
Stryker's embedded Photo
We never saw this deer on the hoof until my wife shot him at 8 yards with her bow out of a blind. Saw these pics after we retrieved the cameras a couple days later.

26-Mar-21
most days shed hunting are sad days shed hunting in NY. Our bucks get shot up.

• Sitka Gear