Greg S 07-Apr-21
smarba 07-Apr-21
BOWUNTR 07-Apr-21
toneyginder 04-Sep-23
toneyginder 04-Sep-23
2Wild Bill 04-Sep-23
DonVathome 11-Sep-23
27-Mar-21
Yike yesterday I noticed one of those tiny moths and knew they were bad news...I have like five heads across that wall and kind of checked and seemed all clear...saw a couple more on the other side of the room tonight and looked at my MT goat that sits high on a wall and could see a half... a dozen so of those moths crawling about....I kind knocked and brushed it around with a long stick and hair was not falling out. I am super eager to spray something poison to kill those bastards. I have I have 10 mounts in this room the Billy is full body.

Any suggestion of strategy????

Thanks

Ted

27-Mar-21
Search this site on prior threads the info is exhaustive and spot on

27-Mar-21
Great advice Bou, but for us more technically challenged how do you go about searching for old threads on this site?

27-Mar-21

Huntcell 's Link
First hit n a Google search. Tips for getting of insects in mounts

27-Mar-21

Huntcell 's Link
Link to previous bowsite

http://forums2.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=487496&messages=51&forum=4

27-Mar-21
Thanks Huntcell. Didn’t see how to search old threads directly through this site. Using Google works.

27-Mar-21
Ask Denise Razza

27-Mar-21
If you see the moths...you are already in deep doo-doo. It`s the larvae that do the damage.

I would do this immediately.....take your mounts and "bag" them....create an airtight bag out of plastic or build a crate and seal all joints. Liberally spritz the mounts with "home defense" and throw in a pile of moth balls (more the better) into the bag or crate and seal. Leave in for a few weeks then remove and treat the mounts again. Spray your mounts every 6 months.

This is coming from a hide/fur tanner that deals with every bug from around the globe.

27-Mar-21
I looked at other threads what can I do right now??? I had a problem years ago and a Taxi told me to use raid or something I can't remember what at it worked with bagging method,,,

Raid Bug killer??? Bug Bomb something I can get at Walmart and not have to wait for an order???

27-Mar-21
Got it Ortho Home Defense is the stuff on it....

27-Mar-21
Ted, get some moth traps to assess the infestation. Then I would recommend permethrin and bagging, as others have said. I got a bulk permethrin purchase from DoMyOwn.com. A gentleman on a taxidermy forum knows all about it and gave me his advice. I initially read Bifen was the way to go but upon learning more, permethrin is the ticket.

Permethrin is toxic to cats, so if anyone has kitties, get them out of the house for a bit and read-up on maximum percentages.

27-Mar-21
Blake good advice but don't want to wait for the order....think I'm gonna try and get and handle on it looks like only goat now...with the bug bombs and Ortho Home defense...Am I right in thinking this???

27-Mar-21
Blake good advice but don't want to wait for the order....think I'm gonna try and get and handle on it looks like only goat now...with the bug bombs and Ortho Home defense...Am I right in thinking this???

27-Mar-21
took most off walls and sprayed down with home defense...mothballs and bags all looked pretty clean..... the goat is moth central. If I pull any hair it come out It was a hairy late season goat so I'm gonna try and soak of with bug killer moths balls a couple of weeks and try and not to mess with the hair and just get it back up there like a house of hairy cards...guess its the best I can do at this point...

27-Mar-21
Sawyer permethrin. I use it for everything related to bugs.

27-Mar-21
I would take it to a taxidermist for treatment after spraying the Home defense. It would certainly be reasonable to contact the person who mounted it as properly tanning and treatment initially should have been sufficient with the climate in Colorado.

I would also recommend that game rooms have no carpet.

28-Mar-21
"Sawyer permethrin. I use it for everything related to bugs. "

Use it outside and let it dry completely. Nasty stuff indoors!! I made the mistake of tick-proofing some pants in the basement. Smelled that s* for a year!

28-Mar-21
Lol... First, you need to identify the type of moth and treat accordingly. And Home Defense, it's a contact killer with a weak residual. Meaning it beaks down very quick in heat, dirt and moisture. I'm interested in the moths. Moths don't eat hair, or lay their eggs in hair. As far as Sawyer permethrin, not the best thing to use cause it doesn't kill everything, actually pushes them away to other places, and breaks down very quick. You best be treating your house three to four times a month, and if using on fabric, or mounts, watch for staining, especially wood products.

Yes, I'm an Orkin tech, and know the products mentioned above, know how weak they are. You can't sell strong pesticides to the public. Use Moth traps. That's how you handle and destroy moth issues without harm to people, pets, birds or fish.

28-Mar-21
The moth that is attacking your goat it was is commonly called a "cloth moth".....it`s the same one that will go after your wool clothing. The reason your goat is being attacked is the thick "under wool" in the hair. Any animal that has this under wool during the winter months is a prime target. Goats, bison etc.

The larvae graze along the hair roots and treating the actual moth after infestation won`t help. You must kill the larvae and you do that by suffocating and poisoning. The spray is just to try to keep any further bugs from being attracted to the carnage.

Be very careful with the hair as you could literally pull off a sheet or patch and leave a bare spot to the skin. Dermastid beetles usually attack untanned hide or flesh. If your being attacked by them you probably have some improperly tanned hides or meat left on a skull plate.

We have nuked some bug invested hides by throwing a rag with paint thinner into a plastic bag and sealing it tight....this even works with ticks. Suffocation is the key to getting the burrowed insects you can`t treat with physical contact.

28-Mar-21
You have to kill all three life cycles... adult, larva, and egg. Very difficult to do with just one product. Contact sprays and temporary suffocation may only kill adults and some larva leaving eggs to hatch at a later time. The moth traps will take away the breeding cycle but will take a long time... they only catch adult male moths. To my knowledge the only thing that will kill all three cycles is a consistent temperature of heat for a certain time. I can’t remember exactly but something like 150 degree for 48 hrs.

Keep chipping away and I would take buglemins’ advise and follow up with traps to take away the breeding cycle and kill any males that hatch later. Follow the direction on where to hang the traps. If you hang too many you can confuse them. They work on pheromones and if there’s too much pheromone they don’t know where to go. Best of luck!

You should also inject the horn sheath with a killer. I impregnated mine when mounting them. When not cleaned and treated properly that’s the perfect place for bugs to go.

28-Mar-21
Thanks guys working on it....I also thought it wouldn't hurt to put a mothball in the ear of each of my mounts

29-Mar-21
I bomb my shop three to four times a year. The office bathroom, upstairs storage sand another 6 cans around the shop.

07-Apr-21

Greg S's embedded Photo
Greg S's embedded Photo
A Taxidermist recommended bombing with this.

07-Apr-21
Razza's advice "I impregnated mine when mounting them" LOL...

07-Apr-21
I spent a few days last month with Dennis.... he knows what he's talking about and scared the sh!t outta me. Bugs are evil... Ed af

04-Sep-23
Sorry for bumping into an old conversation. You might want to opt for a moth-specific insecticide to get rid of them effectively. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully and keep an eye on your mounts to ensure they're not adversely affected. Also, a good old deep clean of the room might do wonders. Actually, I've also, had my fair share of battles with moths, and tried various sprays and DIY methods, but they just wouldn't go away. It was driving me nuts! In the end, I decided to reach out to the experts at https://toxicrespond.co.uk/bed-bugs/ for help, and boy, am I glad I did! They knew exactly what to do, and finally, we got rid of those nasty moths.

04-Sep-23
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04-Sep-23
This year I bought three solar sensor mosquito killer lamps(electrizap on ebay). I leave one in my kitchen at night and turn off the ceiling light. By morning I have some moths and some of those small fruit flies, otherwise I have seen very few bugs in the house this year. The units recharge with a usb connection or will also recharge in the sunlight. I use a small painters brush to remove zapped critters from the screen inside.

11-Sep-23
Good advice hear, keep a close on eye on everything. Anything new, like anything new on the floor could be a shele from shedding/hatching. You have to kill adult and new larva. Eggs are nearly impossible to kill with chemicals. Clean everything you can.

I have not had to deal with bugs in mounts but I have an extensive garden and I have been landlord for over 25 years and I have seen my share of bugs!

• Sitka Gear