Tilzbow 29-Mar-21
Tilzbow 29-Mar-21
WV Mountaineer 29-Mar-21
Tilzbow 29-Mar-21
WV Mountaineer 29-Mar-21
28-Mar-21

Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
I’ve got a 6’ tall by 4’ wide range target that I need to replace the cover on. The stuffing is fine but the cover is worn. It’s covered with two layers of nylon mesh material. I’ve searched this forum and others for the past hour and there’s a lot of references to feed bags and replacement covers for Morrell targets but no one seems to know the specific fabric used. Given the size, feed bags and replacement bags aren’t an option.

Does anyone know what this stuff is and where large rolls can be purchased?

28-Mar-21
Ballistic Nylon?

28-Mar-21
Floor carpet works great.

28-Mar-21
I have the same issue. Sure is nice when companies offer a replacement cover for their bag targets. In fact, in the future, I won't buy another one unless they offer replacement covers.

28-Mar-21
You could probably use a good quality Tyvek house wrap material

28-Mar-21
https://www.thirdhandarchery.com/products.asp

28-Mar-21
Hey Nick.......do you think the bags that bulk soybean seed comes in, would work?

28-Mar-21
Third Hand Archery has cover replacement kits but they’re not quite big enough. I’ve sent them an email asking for to buy a custom size or material.

28-Mar-21
How deep is your target, Scott? 4’ x 6’ x ?

28-Mar-21
It’s 12” deep. Double sided and stuffed with window screen scraps.

29-Mar-21
t-roy, No idea. Don't have any seed bags to try. Crystal won't let me put the food plot in our yard. :-/

29-Mar-21
House wrap or roofing underlayment wouldn’t work for long. It’s tough stuff but the weave will bust on it pretty easy if something blunt like an arrow head hits it.

Carpet really is the best cover. Home improvement stores likely have pieces lying around they’d give you.

Good luck and God Bless.

29-Mar-21
I made my own target. And its covered with a plastic tarp. And not a expensive one either. It was called a heavy duty tarp and bought at a local farm type store here in MN. Its been working good. This will be its 3rd year. My target has wood sides so I stapled the tarp to the wood sides after wrapping my target with it

29-Mar-21
An old trampoline has worked well for me. Tough fabric and you can cut out multiple target coverings from one piece. You just have to find someone getting rid of one.

29-Mar-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Here’s the seed bag. It’s roughly 3’ x 4’ x 4’. The material looks very similar to what my Morrell target is made of. Not sure how many lbs of seed these bags hold, but I’m betting 1,000 lbs or more, so it’s pretty heavy duty.

29-Mar-21
I bet that would work!

29-Mar-21
It’d work well indeed.

29-Mar-21
Justin,

How long does carpet facing hold up to arrows, water and the sun? Water isn’t much of an issue here but the sun certainly is.

T-Roy,

That seed bag looks very close. Now to search the web for a supply.

I did get a response from the owner of Third Hand Archery and he said his supplier is a manufacturer of industrial bags so it could be the same material. Unfortunately he can’t get custom sizes without a huge lot size being ordered. He did recommend layering two 4’ x 4’ sheets to get what I need or simply putting a 2x12 in the lower 2’ of my target frame to change my 6’ x 4’ frame to 4’ x 4’. I haven’t decided on that but I might order sheets from him if nothing else turns up.

29-Mar-21

Tilzbow's Link
That was easy :-)

“Bulk Bags” is the search term and you’ll get tons of options. I think it’ll be easy enough to cut the right size bag into facing sheets of the size needed.

29-Mar-21
Tilz, it holds up for a long time. I can’t say for sure. As, I always shoot junk broadheads into it too. That dramatically shortens the life.

My back stop is a 4’c4’ area that is framed with 4x4 pressure treated lumber. With 3/4 plywood on the back, chicken wire, then the carpet on the front. But, I’m guessing the carpet will last you a good solid 12 months if you don’t shoot broadheads. Shooting daily.

If you’ve got a block style deal, I’m not sure how’s you’d anchor all that. You may have clarified but, I was so eager to try and help, I didn’t see it.

If you don’t have a target butt like that, the nylon feed sacks like t-roy posted work good. Just don’t last like carpet.

I used to shoot a lot. All of us did. I’m talking 5-6 guys drinking a few cold ones, shouting several evenings a week for a couple months. If you have a dedicated target butt, nothing is going to outlast carpet. I promise.

Shew, I feel like I got long winded on that one. But, I try to clarify my thoughts. As if you don’t, there’s always internet folks that will pick it apart.

29-Mar-21
Thanks Justin. My target is a 6’x4’x12” frame that’s covered with the white woven material and stuffed with window screen scraps. I’ve had it for 8 - 10 years and I shoot both sides. It’s a great target but sometimes my skinny shafts with outserts are nearly impossible to pull.

Fortunately the original maker, Pacific Bow Butts, got back to me today and I’ve purchased a new cover from them so I should be covered (pun intended) for several more years.

29-Mar-21
Yeah, if I shoot the same spots too many times without taking the lid off and unpacking the rags that get hammered into a tight ball, it’ll start sticking into the plywood backing too.

• Sitka Gear