Paul@thefort 19-Apr-21
6x6 bull 22-Apr-21
Owl 23-Apr-21
PA-R 29-Apr-21
Treeline 29-Apr-21
30-Mar-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
FIVE DAYS AFIELD, was it worth the time and effort?

30-Mar-21
Oh, I hope so!!

30-Mar-21
I am betting it was. Forrest

30-Mar-21
Come on Paul quit teasing us and get to the good stuff!

30-Mar-21
Looking forward to it...

30-Mar-21

I need to digress a little from this current turkey hunt. In 1949, at the age of nine years old, my family moved from Akron Ohio to Rye Beach Ohio, 60 miles west of Cleveland but right on/near the shore of Lake Erie. To the west was 10 miles of Lake Erie marshes, famous for the duck hunting but also for muskrat and raccoon trapping. Our house was close enough that when I slept on the screened in porch in the summer, I could hear the waves lap on the sandy shore. For the next nine years I was the boy from the book, wandering the shore, catching fish off the pier, wading the marches behind the sand dunes, seeing and watching all types of critters. Catching bass, bluegills, crappies, and pike. We would even spear carp in the spring and come out of the marsh with blood sucker attached to our legs. We even made our own bows and arrows out of willow tree limbs and arrows from cattail stalks.

When I was 14 year my folks purchase a fiber glass long bow, with a fiber glass arrow, a harpoon tip added, plus a reel and string to attach to the arrow. I became a marsh/carp/menace. My bow hunting career began.

30-Mar-21
That's cool Paul. I grew up in northern WV and was constantly outside. Good memories.

30-Mar-21

he almost climbed into the blind
he almost climbed into the blind
So maybe I am currently somewhere between the Boy and the Old Man but I am just as excited to be in the out of doors and with bow in hand as I was in 1954 and excited to be able to hunt wild turkeys with the bow as I have been doing since1993 when Tricia and I move to Colorado but also hunt in Nebraska and Kansas. It also helps to be retired since 2001 and to be in good mental and physical health.

So Day One, I had set up the blind early that morning in the same spot I had killed a tom the year before. No not on private land but on a public state wildlife area which I have been hunting for the past 18 years for turkeys and deer. The first morning is usually a bust as the turkeys seem to migrate into this area, some stay and some move on. This morning found the toms farther away and along the Cottonwood tree lined creek. Later in the day I moved the blind 300 yards adjacent to the cut corn field, and the next morning I was visited by a few hens and one very mature raccoon. No toms now, but heard them retuning to the roost that evening in the Cottonwood trees.

30-Mar-21

Friday at noon, moved another 200 yards and down into the bottom. I could see the roost area 250 yards away.
Friday at noon, moved another 200 yards and down into the bottom. I could see the roost area 250 yards away.
Second Day, Friday AM. Same blind locations and saw 7 hens in the AM, but no Toms sighted but heard 4 or 5 farther off. Decided to move out of the corn field and down into the bottom next to a large fallen Cottonwood tree, at noon, and by listening to the turkeys on roost, I needed to get closer.

30-Mar-21

45 yards away, I see a fan behind some clutter.
45 yards away, I see a fan behind some clutter.
He sits on a log for 20 minutes fanning his tail every time I call, the Tom can see the Jake decoy placed over a bedded hen. I have a string attached to the Jake, to move it.
He sits on a log for 20 minutes fanning his tail every time I call, the Tom can see the Jake decoy placed over a bedded hen. I have a string attached to the Jake, to move it.
He can not take it any longer and steps off the log and into a full strutting pose.
He can not take it any longer and steps off the log and into a full strutting pose.
Here he comes like on a string, right to the decoys set up 12 yards away. In a few seconds he will be right in my lap. Time to put the camera down and pick up the bow.
Here he comes like on a string, right to the decoys set up 12 yards away. In a few seconds he will be right in my lap. Time to put the camera down and pick up the bow.
Friday afternoon, 4am, I hear a gobble near the creek, the Tom is passing from straight out and then to the right. I hen yelp on the box call; he gobbles back. That is good! I wait a few minutes and then hen yelp again, he gobbles back closer now but I still can not see him. Ten more minutes goes by; nothing. No sight or sound. Wait! movement!

30-Mar-21
Been waiting on this ! :)

30-Mar-21
The best of Bowsite!

30-Mar-21
Love it!

30-Mar-21
This is getting better by the minute!

30-Mar-21

So my T-2 blind has three shooting ports out the front, the middle one I added for better sighting out front. The Tom is moving from the right to left and to the decoys set up as seen in the middle window. You know how a tom move forward in strut, they shuffle forward, stop, shuffle forward again, and then stop for a second and then move closer and closer.

I am at full draw with the compound bow, I tilt my head slightly in the right window and can see him coming. Shuffle, stop, shuffle , stop, shuffle stop at 14 yards. The sun is shining on his feathers, his tail in full fan, wing tips dragging. I can hear his drumming sound. Shuttle, stop, shuffle, stop. I can make the shot from the right window and wait for him to shuffle and then stop. I will take the shot when he stopped at 12 yards . Just a second more. I only have a few second and he will be out of that window.

He stops, I am running out of room in the window as he moves to the left, I release just as he shuffles forward and all I get was tail feathers. The Tom did not stick around long! Hell, what is a grown up man suppose to do? Hell yes, cry or swear or a little of both.

So what would have the "Old Man" said about this situation? He might have said, " "Well you would have thought that after killing over 40 turkey with the bow you might had figured this out by now. But I guess one can get overly excited when a beast like that shows up in your face. Better luck next time.".

Well, if there is a next time I thought!

30-Mar-21
Excellent Paul!

30-Mar-21
Heck yeah, we always look foreword to your hunt recaps! Bring it!

30-Mar-21
Following anxiously.

30-Mar-21
Great stuff Paul, good luck out there!!

30-Mar-21
I agree the best of Bowsite!!

30-Mar-21
So now the sun is setting through the tall Cottonwood trees and within a half an hour, it will be fly up time as the sun will disappear for another day. Turkeys seem to wait for that last second of the sun before roosting. I hear a lot of turkey commotion far behind me and with in ten minutes a flock of hens and four toms ramble past at 50 yards but heading to their favorite trees 200 yards away. No amount of calling would change their travel my way so I just watched them disappear but later saw them with the aid of my binoculars, milling around near the creek. Not sure what they were talking about but they were sure excited about something as they carried on with loud yelps and gobbles. Legal shooting time was nearing so I started to pack up and then unzipped the blind and looked out. I hear a hen yelp off to the far right and behind her following, were three toms all heading for the roost trees. I rezip and pick up the box call giving out a few aggressive hen yelps and then pull the string to the jake decoy causing it to semi spin.

The three toms slam on their breaks and stare in my direction and fan their tails. A few more hen yelps and decoy spins and here they come a-running. Their intention is to do a smack-down on this hen loving Jake. I pick up the bow for the action to come and they are coming fast.

30-Mar-21
Hard to pick out one Tom when there are three trying to beat the hell out of your decoy. I placed the green single pin on one broadside, and sort of being steady. Arrow on its way. I hear a Whack.

The Old Man in me stated, " well a good thing about a miss, is that you can still hunt tomorrow." The "Boy in me", I thought, how in the hell did that happen. I just know I was on the right spot and that whack sound? I retrieved the arrow that was stuck in the dirt behind the decoy. I even watched the Tom walking away and was telling him to "fall over, fall over;" he joined the others heading for the roost trees. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

The Old Man agreed.

31-Mar-21
The "Old Man" in me remembered that tomorrow will be the start of the weekend, and would be two good days to rest and let the "weekenders" have their time in the field as it would be their first days afield for the season. The great thing about being retired, is that one never has to be in a particular place and in time and every day can be a Monday or a Friday. "Time to take a break," the Old Man, states.

The "Boy" in me just wanted to keep hunting in spite of a few new hunters looking for areas and roaming around. I voted to hunt Saturday. I should have listened to the Old Man! Before noon I met three guys from Missouri, one guy from Iowa, and two guy from Kansas. all of which walked between my setup and the creek. They were "run and gunning" with their bows, blinds and decoys.

The "Old Man" stated with a slight grin on his face and a tilt of the head, " I told you so." The "boy" in me thought, "OK tomorrow".

31-Mar-21

and off they went looking for more action.
and off they went looking for more action.
Wow! what a difference a day makes. I did not see or hear another hunter on Sunday but the turkeys in the area had been scattered and it was not until late afternoon that I had another encounter. So here we go again, I am in the T-2 blind at 3 pm. What a grand day to be in the woods, warm and light wind. I pull my small folding blind camp chair nearer to the windows, pickup the Old Man and the Boy novel and start to read chapter 12.

As I just stated, what a grand day to be in the woods. I can hear, near by mating geese, great blue herons, and mallard and wood ducks. Still too cool for the Peeper Frogs to start their choir.

At 4 o'clock it happened. Now you would think that a Tom turkey or two, would not just walk in unannounced with out a notice or gobble. Well that is just what they did. I was so engrossed in the book I did not notice the two Toms until they were standing near the Jake decoy and just staring at it. No, not in strut or fanned out., just standing there. Like, "what's up dude?.

The "Boy" in me tried to make up for not being very observant, and tried to get off the chair, lay down the book, pick up the bow, get to my knees to shoot. By that time, the two Toms were heading away and looking for more action some place else.

The "Old Man" stated, "well, you snooze, you lose". He counted on his hands raising six fingers, "let see, six Toms within 12 yards and none in the bag". He went on, "Did I ever tell you the story? Ok, maybe some other time".

The "Boy" in me was pissed but kept quiet. I was hurting inside.

31-Mar-21

The "Old Man" suggested that I might move the blind Monday morning closer to the roosting area and nearer to the creek, and the "Boy" thought that would be a good idea so after two hours in the blind, I packed up and moved on this fifth day. I was set up in the new location by 9:30 after I knew the turkeys had left the area, my forth move in the past four days. I had some good action on Friday and Sunday afternoon but ok, moving is good. The "Old Man" knew that sometimes a mature Tom will return to the roost area in the late morning or early after noon, to check see if any hens have returned there. They might gobble once and if no response, move on.

The "Boy" was ready for action in the new location. Did he dare start to read the book again. Maybe if he hen yelped and cackled first. Box call in hand, he slid the paddle across the box in quick strokes sending out a few excited hen yelps. A second later his hen calls were answered by a very loud, GOBBLE, GOBBLE from across the creek and 80 yards away.

The "Old Man" smiled. The "Boy" got ready, really ready!

31-Mar-21

coming closer
coming closer
A minute or two went by, the "Boy" activated the box call with a few light yelps. A very loud Gobble was the response but now closer but still unable to be seen. He waited, "there, 40 yards away, and all fanned out. Pulling on the string, he moved the Jake decoy. The Tom responded by moving closer, a drumming sound being heard and now coming faster and closer, 20 yards, 15 yards. Bow in hand, fingers tense on the release. The Tom is now at the decoy and is getting ready to attack the Jake decoy. "Wait, you can't do that to my decoy" mumbled the "Boy"; the arrow was launched and hit its mark squarely.

The huge Tom turkey ran past the blind, stopped 10 feet away, and toppled over in the leaves.

The "Old Man" and the "Boy" both responded looking up, with "finally, thank you Lord!"

31-Mar-21

So was the time and effort worth it? The "Old Man" use to say, "when the women folk start to clean and sanitize the house in the Spring , its time to be gone and time to go hunting or fishing before they start to make up the honey- do list." A wise man thought the "Boy".

They will both spend a lot of time together afield over the years, learning together, as if they were the very same person. There just might be a lot of both of them in all of us. I know they are both in me.

My best , Paul

31-Mar-21
Congrats Paul! Beautiful bird! Excellent recap!

31-Mar-21
Good one, Paul!! Thanks. And congrats on the bird!

31-Mar-21
nice job ,good pics and better story !!

31-Mar-21
Well done! Being engrossed in a good book or magazine in my blind or stand has cost me a few chances also. Nice recovery from that mistake.

31-Mar-21
Atta buddy, Paul! Loved it!

31-Mar-21
Nice, Paul!

31-Mar-21
Once again, thank you for sharing your days afield Paul. You have a way with words and getting bow and arrow close to game. I love it.

31-Mar-21
Loved that Paul!!! Great story, congrats on a fine gobbler!

31-Mar-21
Great story and story telling as usual. Thanks Paul, for taking us along on your adventure.

31-Mar-21
Always love your story telling Paul! You’re an inspiration to us! Congrats on another great hunt, thanks for sharing it with us!

31-Mar-21
Congrats Paul on another great bird!

31-Mar-21
The Bionic Bowhunter does it again! Great pictures and storyline! Thanks for taking us along. I still want to be like you when I grow up. ;)

31-Mar-21
You are just incredible Paul! Congratulations again!!

31-Mar-21
Truly the best of Bowsite!

Congrats on a great bird Paul and thank for sharing your outstanding pics and even better write ups with us!

31-Mar-21
Super read Paul. Made me smile. Thanks and congrats on another,

31-Mar-21
Excellent all the way around!! Thanks for taking the time. Hunt

31-Mar-21
Thank You, Paul, and Congrats !

You always spin a great Yarn...made my Day!

31-Mar-21
Excellent and thanks for sharing!

31-Mar-21

Nothing more beautiful than a Spring Tom with his clothes on.
Nothing more beautiful than a Spring Tom with his clothes on.
When I picked up this Tom, he was heavy. Might be one of the heaviest Toms I have killed: guessed him at over 22 pounds. Back at the truck camp I removed his large winds, lower legs at home, all feathers, gutted and cleaned up, I left on the feathered neck, and head. At home, I weighted what was left. 18.22 pounds remaining. A big one.

31-Mar-21

someone else took a poke at him
someone else took a poke at him
If you have not read this book, please to so. It just might change your whole outlook on life, and to the better side.
If you have not read this book, please to so. It just might change your whole outlook on life, and to the better side.

31-Mar-21
The Boy in me says, Congratulations on a fine bird, and a great story!

31-Mar-21
A great story and an awesome adventure...thank you so much for taking us along.

31-Mar-21
That was great. And officially took my turkey fever to a higher pitch than it already was!

31-Mar-21
The old man in me says well done take a break and enjoy ! The boys says so how many tags do we have left ?

31-Mar-21
PT, one more tag. Will hunt with a buddy on April 8 for a few days in a different part of the state. Will try the Ultimate Predator Turkey decoy for a up close and personal encounter.

31-Mar-21
Sounds like fun can't wait to read about it ! Sitting here at home on the bench for another year and of course my buddy from Nebraska says he has never seen so many toms wondering around as this spring augh !

31-Mar-21
Congrats Paul and way to stay persistent! Always enjoy your stories.

31-Mar-21
Congratulations, Paul! Enjoyed the story very much!

31-Mar-21
Always enjoy your turkey stories Paul. A Bowsite Rite of Spring.

31-Mar-21
Way to get-r-dun "Son"!

31-Mar-21
Congrats on a nice one!

31-Mar-21
Great story as usual Paul!

Congrats.

31-Mar-21
Congrats Paul!

31-Mar-21
Always a good time Paul, great job!

31-Mar-21
inspirational.

31-Mar-21
Glad the old man and the boy got to share some great hunts together. Glad we got to share in them as well! Looking forward to following along on the next one, Paul! Congrats on a great bird!

31-Mar-21
As always..... great story!

31-Mar-21
Great job Paul!

31-Mar-21
As love your stories Paul. Well done!

31-Mar-21
Awesome hunt, great read. The old man and the boy is a great book. Forrest

31-Mar-21
Very nice Paul! Congrats!!

I love that book, was reading it recently while traveling, for the 3rd or 4th time. I also made a mistake, and left it on the darn plane by accident.

31-Mar-21
Nice job Paul. You always get it done on them Toms!

31-Mar-21
congratulations Paul i could use the left wings and feathers for tying flies if you dont want them.

31-Mar-21
nice Paul...funny, I am almost done with another read of that book, started a couple months ago and read myself to sleep with it.

31-Mar-21
Rick, I have both wings you can have or anyone who wants them to make into arrow fletching. They are in my freezer for pick up here in Ft. Collins.

31-Mar-21
Well done and well typed. Congrats Paul!

31-Mar-21
Congrats Paul. Another awesome story.

31-Mar-21
It's amazing how many archery birds I've killed that had shot under their skin....tough critters (or bad shots) ;-) Congrats on a stud bird!!

31-Mar-21
I love it. Great stuff as always.

01-Apr-21
Great job Paul. I read that book over 50 years ago and still remember it well. For me, it was probably the best read ever. Thanks for the story and the memory of that book....... Badbull

01-Apr-21
Awesome again Paul! Congrats

01-Apr-21
Congratulations Paul... enjoyed the experience.

01-Apr-21
Paul Thanks for the wings ill take them off your hands soon!

01-Apr-21
Paul Thanks for the wings ill take them off your hands soon!

01-Apr-21
Great job Paul! Even better write up! Ever killed one with your recurve?

01-Apr-21
Congrats Paul! Well done and great story to go with it. Percy

01-Apr-21

one of the 4 from Kansas and this one from Colorado
one of the 4 from Kansas and this one from Colorado
Walter, killed 4 with the stick, all from a tent blind. What is interesting is that of the 5 shots I have had using the stick, I have killed 4 toms. A better average than with the compound. Shots were 10 yards.

01-Apr-21
Good stuff

01-Apr-21
Paul what a beautiful written story. Congrats on your success !!

01-Apr-21
Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

02-Apr-21
Right on! Pretty good record on Tom's with the recurve!

02-Apr-21
Thanks for the story and pics. I’m headed to Ne in six days . You really got me pumped. Put up my Mn blind yesterday, while listening to gobbles. It’s time.

02-Apr-21
Congrats Paul! Great story

02-Apr-21
Congrats Paul! Thanks for sharing another fantastic story!

02-Apr-21
Congratulations! I always enjoy reading your hunting adventures.

02-Apr-21
Nice work! Thanks again for sharing!

03-Apr-21
Excellent story, Paul! Thanks for sharing!

03-Apr-21
Great write up and great pictures. Inspirational stuff!

03-Apr-21
Hey Lou, as you know, Hunt'n and fish'n keeps us young.

03-Apr-21
Well done Paul, enjoyed it very much, Thanks.

03-Apr-21
I enjoyed the heck out of that. Congratulations on a fine bird. I have bow killed deer that had 22 cal bullets in them.

03-Apr-21
Paul,

Your stories and pictures are always first rate!

05-Apr-21
Awesome, Congrats Paul, nice hooks on that bird.

06-Apr-21
Thanks Paul, for giving me a reason to smile at work!

19-Apr-21
Thought I would give some of you that missed this thread, a chance to read it. Thanks for following along. Paul

22-Apr-21
Congrats on another great bird and story!

23-Apr-21
Always enjoy your threads immensely, Paul.

29-Apr-21
Very good as always, your the best.

29-Apr-21
Excellent write up, Paul! Congratulations on that big old Tom! Beautiful!

• Sitka Gear