Kurt 17-Jun-21
spike buck 17-Jun-21
WV Mountaineer 17-Jun-21
spike buck 17-Jun-21
Bou'bound 18-Jun-21
Tilzbow 18-Jun-21
Rickm 18-Jun-21
31-Mar-21
Maybe we can migrate this topic here to capture the latest and avoid scrolling through 300 dated comments , details, and rumors. Eventually clarity will happen

31-Mar-21
I hear the teachers unions have decided to personally instruct the illegal rugratsat the border, while U.S. children get to continue remote learning.

Teachers unions need to go the way of the air traffic controllers. Let someone that wants to work have the job!

31-Mar-21
Is the teachers union also the reason that the border is closed to recreational travel ? Funny stuff lol

31-Mar-21
One of my Canadian outfitters says the today March 31 is the end of the Gov fiscal year (April 1- Mar 31) so maybe after all that stuff is done, they may start looking for an open border solution.

31-Mar-21
Using the word fiscal implies some sort of competence or responsibility dealing with money. Neither of which resemble our government so I highly doubt that impacts anything.

31-Mar-21
For anyone that has hunts booked in Alberta, here is the link to the reopening strategy and the current statistics for Alberta. FYI, things are going the wrong way up here.

https://www.alberta.ca/enhanced-public-health-measures.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem&utm_campaign=Covid19&utm_term=newmeasures&utm_content=dec8v2&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9YWDBhDyARIsADt6sGa4ly-pjG35Cm2TiMMNWh53HbLsSjWlWTNZhugOFNn5qnzd5jY5ItsaAuNhEALw_wcB

https://covid19data.alberta.ca/

31-Mar-21
As far as impacts of wildlife goes what you think when any animal come in the sight of illegal's you think they are gonna wait a lifetime to try and draw a desert sheep tag...right to the pot!

31-Mar-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
Is this snip just geared towards Canadian res's? I'm curious when they say "visitors"....that's everybody CA/US? Would a bush tent or cabin be considered a home?

31-Mar-21
You can go to a hotel or bed and breakfast so I would think that a wall tent, outfitter cabin or outfitter lodge would be treated the same way as it is a place of business

31-Mar-21
J ust read some of the headlines of the Ottawa/Montreal papers and it is evident that C-19 appears to be rapidly increasing in the two provinces. They are locking down certain regions further. Spreading here in certain states also...NY especially. Our state recently has come under question for withholding the truth...underreporting cases/deaths.

01-Apr-21
Starting tomorrow Ontario is closing down for 4 weeks.

01-Apr-21
"For anyone that has hunts booked in Alberta, here is the link to the reopening strategy and the current statistics for Alberta. FYI, things are going the wrong way up here. https://www.alberta.ca/enhanced-public-health-measures.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem&utm_campaign=Covid19&utm_term=newmeasures&utm_content=dec8v2&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9YWDBhDyARIsADt6sGa4ly-pjG35Cm2TiMMNWh53HbLsSjWlWTNZhugOFNn5qnzd5jY5ItsaAuNhEALw_wcB

https://covid19data.alberta.ca/"

I'm booked for November in Alberta. Looking at that plan, I have more questions after reading that, if I thought it was worth asking questions now. Ill wait till September to even think about things

01-Apr-21
I think Canada will do anything to not open up. Not sure why

01-Apr-21
Rumor has it you must be tested before you enter, and after you enter Canada. According to their esteemed leader, if you test positive upon entering, you will be detained in an internment camp.

02-Apr-21
Just think what it will be like when they finally do open up - misinformation, showing the new certifications, proof of shot etc. - long lines, missed flights, MASS CHAOS.

02-Apr-21
When they do open, just don’t do your flight connection through Toronto!!!

02-Apr-21
Tank...Correct on no southern border!!! We have friends we summer with from Kingston, ON and they emailed yesterday not to expect to see them this summer as the province just entered a further shutdown as mentioned in an above post. NY is having a nice UPTICK in the Covid. Their esteemed governor will send new cases to nursing homes...no doubt. Governments have become useless in both of our countries.

02-Apr-21
Like newfi1946moose stated, I believe Ontario c19 cases have spiked. So Ontario went into some kind of lock down for the next 30 day. Not sure how it's going to effect spring bear hunting/fishing yet. But I would not hold my breath that this border will get opened up to us in 30 days. If Ontario border is closed I guess that will effect Quebec also.

02-Apr-21
I remember when they said these LOCKDOWNS were simply to PREVENT our hospitals from becoming "overwhelmed". As far as I know, none of our hospitals in PA were anywhere close to being "overwhelmed", even during the height of the Pandemic. But now they are using new COVID + case numbers to keep us locked down, even though most of these cases are very mild and don't require hospitalization. And even the ones that are being hospitalized are getting much better treatment and outcomes due to our increased knowledge about the disease. But yet the officials are still acting like it is April 2020! : (

02-Apr-21
Here we are in week 56 of two weeks to stop the spread :)

02-Apr-21
The thing is, even with vaccines, we'll be dealing with the virus forever. Even vaccinated people can get it. My co-worker's daughter is a nurse and she got her shots in Jan and got the virus a month later. Many people won't get the vaccine and the vaccine does not have 100 efficacy. There are already variants and it is said people will require boosters annually like flu shots. We can't stay shutdown forever knowing we will be living with this forever. Put the risk tolerance on individuals. If you are afraid, stay home or be certain to avoid crowds. Let every one else go about their lives.

Glad the MX border is open for travel. I can't wait to get back in the sun in May with my family for our annual vacation there. My county in WI announced 2 weeks ago that they will not enforce any state mandates related to the virus and this week the WI Supreme Court revoked the democratic invoked mask mandate. Texas got it right by allowing full capacity at baseball games. Put the risk on the individuals. The virus is going nowhere. We'll see peaks and valleys forever unless some miracle happens.

02-Apr-21
I live in a small native community off the beaten path that has managed to keep totally free of the virus even though there were, and there are presently, quite a few Covid 19 cases in the non-native towns south of us.

Since the beginning of January we haven't been allowed to go there unless we do a 14 day quarantine upon our return.

I'm not the kind of guy to be locked down in a room (at the lodge here) so I've postponed all my "non life threatening" health appointments (MRI for my neck, carpal tunnel surgery, etc.) and my dentist appointments since that date.

Thankfully we can still pursue our outdoor activities here in the surrounding wilderness.

BUT - a good friend from Washington state has been wanting to come up to visit me since just before the pandemic. He told me a couple of days ago that he has had his two vaccines and we are really hoping things open up so that he can book a flight in time for the September / October moose hunt here.

According to the latest news from those affected towns, things are getting worse instead of better.

02-Apr-21
I work for CBP and can tell you that I will be very surprised if it's open before fall, and honestly, from what we're hearing I'll be surprised if it even opens by then. Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to be a long ride guys.... SMH

02-Apr-21
It isn’t going to be open by the fall. Neither government cares about private business. Neither care if you or I die from it. They care about control. And, They don’t mind borrowing money to keep people home instead of working. It makes pork spending a little harder to scrutinize. Which the government officials love. Anyways, they know they can tax business and citizens for the debt later. All while making bold statements about patriotism and compassion being the driving force behind their decisions. SMH

But, it ain’t going no where. The scare is on and a good bit of us bought into it. “Oh my goodness, I might die.” I got news for you. You are going to die unless Christ returns before the predetermined day, time, and cause of your death. Not one thing you can do about that except ensure you are ready to meet your maker. That’s a fact you can take to the bank.

No matter of that reality, we were hook, lined, and sinkered into fear. We gave that power to the governments. And, they’ve used every tool possible to ensure they don’t let it go. So, get used to it. Because the governments now have their boot on our throat. And, they are pressing harder while we grasp for a breath. If we are lucky, we will get a form of our freedoms back. However, it’s more likely once the scare of this is gone, politicians will ensure the next “life threatening” thing deserves the same course of actions.

Unless of course if you are an illegal alien fleeing your country for this one. They’ll open up the borders for you. Expose or Customs and Border agents to those undocumented, often sick individuals. Gotta love the fear of the “pandemic.”

Anyways, look in the mirror when this starts getting frustrating. We are to blame. So, if that hurts, act accordingly.

02-Apr-21
WV X2!

02-Apr-21
Oh, I forgot to add the fact you Canadians aren’t forgotten. Old Justinia has been inviting cheap, undocumented labor to your provinces for a long time. How convenient. I’m betting the first nonessential, non family member crossing the northern border to Canada isn’t an American hunter either. They are nearly fueling the planes as we speak to move 13,000 undocumented aliens to our northern border. Get ready. We are so dumb down here it’s rolled over until it’s affecting your neighborhood.

02-Apr-21
Our fly-in outfitter notified us that May and June trips will not happen. They said maybe (strong on the maybe) July 1st. This sucks.

02-Apr-21
WV, the labor being brought is for farming. They are documented essential workers. I have no issues with that. Brought in every year. They are not cheap workers, get good pay now adays. No one wants to work in the fields so someone has to do it. They fill our grocery store shelves.

I am planning a Fall hunt... to say the border will not open for the Fall is pure speculation!! if it does not work out we will figure something out.

02-Apr-21
Spike buck, you twisted my post to something I didn’t insinuate. I too love documented workers. I’ve been trying to get sone work visa immigrants for the last two years.

My point was, there is a time coming when your field labor force isn’t going to be documented.

03-Apr-21
Might have to make a new thread already Bou’bound!

03-Apr-21
Word from outfitter today spring hunts will be off, but no official word until government announces extended shutdown.

04-Apr-21
No word from TSOV or Lone Wolf Outfitters yet on May hunts. I would expect to hear something very soon though.

Where I work, for Shell Oil, we have hundreds of Chinese electricians from Saskatchewan. But they were here before the War of the Worlds movie became real life.

05-Apr-21
There is a meeting between Canada and the USA in International Falls MN on April 6th pertaining to getting the border open. I will try to download it.

05-Apr-21
Excellent point RutNut...my how the goalposts have shifted, haven't they? More and more, this is about control and gauging just how far the populace will allow themselves to be controlled.

05-Apr-21
I fish in Ontario late May with a guide. He says covid is out of control in the Thunder Bay Area and vaccines are way behind. He was not at all confident of border opening in the next couple months.

05-Apr-21
See below for news article on April 6 meeting. Doesn't look like anyone in attendance is likely to have much significant impact on a rapid i.e. May 1 or 15 border opening which is probably as late as the opening could go an still have a spring bear hunt of any real value. https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-news/powlowski-to-join-us-meeting-on-border-reopening-plan-3600147

06-Apr-21
See article below for a Canadian viewpoint on opening the border. Although this writer is in favour of opening the border quickly apparently there is a large contingent of Canadian citizens who do not want the border opened in the near future. Having only seen comments from Canadians involved in businesses that have cross border components I was not aware of the apparent general lack of interest in opening the border.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-its-time-for-trudeau-to-reopen-the-border/

06-Apr-21
All I can say is, the border closure is costing the Ontario tax payer " BIG TIME". Ford announced a payout to Outfitters in the amount of $20,000.00 to $40,000.00. Thats up to $64,000,000.00 of taxes Ontario tax payers cannot afford right now. Then Outfitters in Ontario can get up to $25,000.00 in recovery costs of running their buisinesses. Also 1/2 taxes and ppe paid back. So to those who dont want the border open..... ***Open your pocket books!!***

06-Apr-21
STUBBLEDUCK, That globe article is only available to subscribers.

06-Apr-21
SteveB..... I don't have a subscription to the Globe. The article popped up as part of a Google search. I'll see if I can find it again and post the search terms.

06-Apr-21
Here's the article (opinion piece actually). That the piece is laced with plenty of liberal narrative, is not hugely surprising....it's written by a college prof at Bellingham, WA.

===========================================

It’s time for Trudeau to reopen the border

Edward Alden is a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and a visiting professor of U.S.-Canada economic relations at Western Washington University in Bellingham, Wash. He is the author of The Closing of the American Border: Terrorism, Immigration and Security Since 9/11.

Canada has good friends in the United States. There are the northern governors, who worked tirelessly to keep the border open and trade flowing after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. There are the United Steelworkers union, which helped persuade former president Donald Trump to lift his steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada but keep them in place against China and others. And there are the members of Congress who blocked Mr. Trump’s efforts to cut a separate trade deal with Mexico, insisting the trade agreement that replaced NAFTA must include all three nations. And then there are many regional officials, cross-border business leaders, academics and think tank experts who have close ties to Canada and sympathy for Canadian concerns.

These friendships are more than sentimental – they have long allowed Canada to punch above its weight in the corridors of Washington and in state capitols. But the Trudeau government’s refusal, more than a year along, to even discuss a plan for reopening the closed border between the two countries is putting those friendships to the biggest test they have faced in decades.

Matt Morrison, chief executive officer of the Pacific NorthWest Economic Region, a Seattle-based group that promotes co-operation between government officials and business leaders across the border, has spent the past year pleading with the two governments to start working on a border plan. “I’m concerned about some of the long-term trust and relationships that are being eroded,” he said recently in a meeting organized by the Wilson Center’s Canada Institute, a Washington-based think tank.

Brian Higgins, the upstate New York Democrat congressman who co-chairs the northern border caucus, is as good a friend as Ottawa has in D.C. “The distance to Canada is now further than it has ever been in my lifetime,” he lamented last month, urging the two governments to develop a plan for reopening the border by this summer.

The concerns are both personal – the thousands of people cut off from family and friends – and economic. While trade has continued, many tourist and other service businesses on both sides of the border will not survive another summer shutdown. Isolated communities – such as Washington State’s Point Roberts, which is accessible by land only through Canada – are turning into ghost towns.

But Prime Minister Justin Trudeau doesn’t even want to talk about the problem. Looking closely, no doubt, at polls showing a strong majority of Canadians wants the border kept shut, Mr. Trudeau has only said that it will reopen “eventually, not today.”

Canada’s American friends are not blind to why Canadians wanted the border closed. The initial decision to halt all “non-essential” travel from the United States in March, 2020, as the COVID-19 crisis spread drew many sympathetic nods. It was obvious how Mr. Trump was mishandling the pandemic, endangering us and our fellow citizens. That Canada would want to insulate itself from irresponsible behaviour south of the border was entirely understandable.

What is indefensible is that more than a year later, with Americans having thrown out Mr. Trump for a responsible leader in President Joe Biden, Canadian officials are still refusing even to discuss plans for reopening. The U.S. failed terribly to contain the spread of COVID-19 but is now among the world’s leaders in vaccinating its citizens; every American who wants a shot will be eligible for one by May. With U.S. production ramping up, Mr. Biden has shipped 1.5 million doses north to help Canada with its anemic vaccine rollout, and more is certainly on the way.

It is long past time for the sort of high-level co-operation that took place in the aftermath of 9/11, when top officials from both governments worked hand-in-hand to bolster defences against terrorism without harming trade and travel across the world’s longest undefended border. This time, Mr. Morrison says, “it’s been way too long and there is nearly no movement.”

There is no shortage of good ideas, from schemes to co-operate on “vaccine passports” for cross-border travel to integrating advanced health screenings into trusted traveller documents such as Nexus. Even those Americans most eager to see the border reopened agree the steps should be incremental, with health risks top of mind.

The closed border is popular in Canada, and the Trudeau government will be criticized for any initiatives it takes toward reopening. But Canada has long thrived in North America because it has been masterful at managing relations with its larger southern neighbour. That means looking past the polls in order to nurture the friendships that Canada will need years and decades from now to keep pursuing its continental interests successfully.

====================================

06-Apr-21
I'm glad MX is happy to take in Americans and their money. I'm looking forward to my family vacation there in May. The thousands I'd be spending in CA in July will get spent elsewhere until Trudeau realizes the GDP that hunting and fishing brings CA from south of the border.

Funny that CA wants to keep Americans out but they want vaccinations from our providers. Same was true with PPE and ventilators.

06-Apr-21
Starting April 8th, "ALL" Ontario will be put in a "Stay at home" order for 28 days. All retail businesses will be ordered closed except essential. Stores like Walmart only able to sell groceries and medicine... nothing else. Here we go again!!

07-Apr-21
Man, that's tough Chris. Hope you guys make it through ok. We want to get up there and support all the fine Canadian outfitters as soon as we can, but those days don't seem to be getting much closer.

07-Apr-21
Reading the Ottawa/Montreal papers this morning it looks like both provinces are headed for major shutdowns. Unless Quebec/Ontario governments or Ottawa does something for the outfitters/small businesses; I am afraid many will not survive. Surely hope I am wrong as my little hunt group has been north many, many times. Just looking to go again before the end of the yardstick!

07-Apr-21
Just an update from Alberta. Yesterday we regressed from the Step 2 of reopening back to Step 1. An outline of what is allowed in Step 1 can be found here.

https://www.alberta.ca/enhanced-public-health-measures.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sem&utm_campaign=Covid19&utm_term=newmeasures&utm_content=dec8v2&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9YWDBhDyARIsADt6sGa4ly-pjG35Cm2TiMMNWh53HbLsSjWlWTNZhugOFNn5qnzd5jY5ItsaAuNhEALw_wcB

07-Apr-21
In BC, you'd be good to go if you can land in a Costco, Home Depot or Walmart parking lot and "isolate" there for several hours.

But don't plan on going to church.

07-Apr-21
I heard an “excerpt” from one of your pastors the other day on conservative radio Ambush (while the police were trying to disperse his “gathering.”)

07-Apr-21

Rut Nut's Link
We need more people to stand up and speak out against all those who want to take away our freedom!

07-Apr-21
Majority of Canadians are stupid. Government has convinced them it's so dangerous we need to hole up. So majority of Canadians are wanting to hole up. Holing up gives the government more control. Most people are literally happy with this situation. The tax burden is coming. But not yet, so they happily smile like a pig lead to slaughter.

If they ACTUALLY made people pay today, for the support they are getting instead of tomorrow, it would be a whole different vibe. But the borrow from tomorrow to spend today mentality is in full effect. "Don't care as long as I can spend today."

Then, when we get taxed to high heaven, it will be "Just tax the rich, you know the people that thought ahead in the pandemic. Take it from them - they have so much money." Makes me sick.

You could pay two people identical pay cheques, and put them in identical houses with identical costs. One guy would waste his discretionary income and 20 years later fully believe that the other person who saved their money should help him out because he wasted his and has none. Full entitlement.

07-Apr-21
There will be no hunting/fishing trips to Canada this year.

07-Apr-21
They want to get vaccinations ahead of the covid. Ontario is currently sitting on 1.5 million vaccine dodes.

07-Apr-21
Unbelievable.

07-Apr-21
I go on a great pike fishing trip every May north of Thunder Bay. The guide just said that T Bay has major covid cases and shots are way behind. He’s thinking maybe July or August.

07-Apr-21
Man I would be on cloud nine if border opened by August even. Based on how Trudeau has handled this and general consensus that most Canadians would prefer to keep Americans out right now. Just say I'd be very surprised if it happens this year.

07-Apr-21
A very good friend of mine from alberta just text me saying that they shut down Alberta again, no more indoor dining or gatherings. It is looking more and more doubtful that the fall season will happen. Spring is done for.

07-Apr-21
Google ”canada coronivirus” and you will get all the information you need. Cases are spiking. Ontario is locked down totally again. And its May in three weeks. Looks like my musky trip in August is going the same way my May bear hunt went. Its not happening this year.

07-Apr-21
Like I said earlier Moosemania, keeping Americans from crossing the border will impact Ontarioans wallet!! $64,000,000.00 out of their pockets, straight to Outfitters this week. There are currently 1600 Outfitters about to get the funds.... all Forgiveable. Camp owners that are American but own camps in Ontario will also rightly benefit from the forgiveable grant. I wont even thank the taxpayers for their tax dollars they will be and have given me, but only give them a Rebel smile LOL.... OPEN THE BORDER to the vaccinated Americans!!!

07-Apr-21
I'd take a vaccine shot into every orifice if it meant I could go to Canada. I'll admit that they have the power and I will even kiss the ring. Just let me go fishing!!!!!!!

07-Apr-21
Personally, I have been keeping a close eye on this. I have a trip booked in Canada, and I am sure that it will be cancelled. I spoke with my lawyer about it, and luckily for me, I paid the agent, who is in the US, to book it and not the place we are going to in Canada. Had it been the other way around, I could have been majorly screwed, now legally I get my money back. I will keep everyone posted as I talk with my booking agent. Man, this is going to be rough, everyone being backed up a year, overloading hunting places, my guess quality of hunt dropping with more people. I hope everything works out for all involved, I just can't see everyone being happy when this is over.

07-Apr-21
The way regions are being coloured and zoned depending on the number of cases, many Canadians will not be able to hunt bears (May and June) in Canada - even in their own Province!

I'm hoping the vaccine "blitz" will help change things a bit within the next few weeks.

07-Apr-21
I hope we don’t end up with another Tutulik thread where hunters just flat out get screwed out of money. Of course Tutulik didn’t care because they went out of business.

07-Apr-21
From what I have heard- Don't count on it opening :( If your outfitter shuts down, you will be out of your deposit. forever.

If they do open, then expect to possibly pay more for your hunt- I am hearing in the sheep circles that more than likely there will be higher demand when it opens, so increase if fees- your $25K dall hunt will now be $35k..... if you don't want to pay the extra, probably will FORFIET your deposit and they will rebook the hunt (double dip)

07-Apr-21
It seems outfitters as a whole showed what kind of people they are last year. Precious few if any guys were not pleased with treatment.

07-Apr-21

spike buck's embedded Photo
Ford and Trudope .... welcome to the circus
Ford and Trudope .... welcome to the circus

07-Apr-21
Spike; just saw ALL of Ontario is going into lockdown with stay-at-home order. Is the Corvid spread bad in your neck of the woods? Hope you can still go baiting and hunting? Ford on TV looks like a medicated robot. I think some politicians start with good intentions mebbe but when thrown into the toilet with the rest of them eventually become just another turd.

07-Apr-21
Rob, bears gotta eat too.

07-Apr-21
Sounds essential to me.

07-Apr-21
Doug Ford said 40% of Ontario will be vaccinated by end of lockdown...

07-Apr-21
Spike, how do you get people out of their homes to get vaccinated with a stay at home order?! Just wondering...

07-Apr-21
^....Question of the Week Award right there!! Good one!

07-Apr-21
They allow for travel for vaccinations. Pretty sure they have to have appointments for vaccinations. They even allow for exercise outside in the big cities. We have hardly any cases here. I can still work ( Bait ) as long as we follow protocol when working with others.

08-Apr-21
Looks like is only getting worse

More than 15,000 cases of the more transmissible and potentially more deadly variants have been reported across Canada to date, with more than 90 per cent of those being the B117 variant first identified in the United Kingdom. But the P1 variant first discovered in Brazil is also on the rise in Canada, with cases doubling in the past week to close to 1,000 — mostly in British Columbia, Ontario and Alberta.  And the B1351 variant first found in South Africa is also picking up steam, with over 150 cases identified in Quebec, more than 70 in Ontario and over 50 in B.C as of Tuesday.  But experts say Canada's slow vaccine roll out has failed to keep up with the exponential rise in variants in the third wave and the premature loosening of restrictions has led to an increase in hospitalizations and deaths — even in younger Canadians.

People were hoping that we could get to the finish line and get everyone vaccinated without having to deal with another wave and unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case," said Dr. Leyla Asadi, an infectious diseases physician at the University of Alberta in Edmonton.  "That's a combination of both our reopening too quickly and now you add in these variants of concern." Canada has emerged as one of the only countries in the world with significant outbreaks of three different variants occurring at the same time — turning us into a giant experiment on the world stage. "There's no other country that's kind of dealing with it as we are — we have all of them emerging at once," said Dr. Zain Chagla, an infectious diseases physician at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton. "What happens to all three of them in the mix? Which one takes over? Which one is the fittest of the three?"

08-Apr-21
Thunder Bay MP just said he can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Said he's see's the border opening in the near future. I say open by all Fall seasons. The American side of the border is pushing hard to get border open. ****Keep up to date on our areas news.... google "CKDR news" .... for the border talk.

08-Apr-21

Now what do those arrogant Canadians think about keeping Americans out of Canada!!!

08-Apr-21
Spike....that is an interesting travel notice. I watched recent news reports here in the states reporting the vaccines we're getting are showing good indications they will prevent infections by the variants. Kinda wonder if the CA disease folks talk to the US disease folks before they each put out official advisories?

Different border topic.....I just talked to my daughter who lives in Australia. They were doing that Astrozenica vaccine for very select individuals but have started/stopped/started/stopped it due to blood clot concerns. The Aussie govt is taking a lot of heat in their local press for the poor vaccine response and full lock downs. They seem to be controlling it good....just paying a large price for it internally. The daughter said lock down related suicides are happening there like many other countries.

08-Apr-21
I thought the cdc just said fully vaccinated people could safely travel without testing or quarentinimg?

08-Apr-21
JL, CDC is Centre for Disease Control in the United States.... America put this info out warning not to come to Canada. Moosemania, they said domestic travel is fine... in their release I thought.

08-Apr-21
Spike...yup...you're correct. I missed the top logo and read just the content. Thanks.

I wonder how that US advisory will sell up there??

08-Apr-21
Trudeau feels overwhelmed.... he is a drama Queen or I mean Teacher. He does not care unfortunately JL.

On the news just now, Thunder Bay MP for Thunder Bay Rainy River District says most Americans will be vaccinated that want to be vaccinated by end of May. Canadians will be well on the way also. He says because of this the benefits of opening the Border will outweigh the risks. He says he would not be surprised to see the Border open in July sometime. CBC News Northwest.

08-Apr-21
Thanks spike. I hope he's right!

08-Apr-21
I heard this is in the running for the new Canadian National Anthem......

08-Apr-21
Oh man that is so sad but true ! Hey but we are all very forgiving so I'm sure we will give Justy a new mandate which is all he really cares about anyway !!

09-Apr-21
Why is it our obligation to bail out Canada and send vaccine shots up there? Isn't that Trudeau's problem to deal with?

09-Apr-21
Kinda like when Canada took in all your planes during 9/11 ? Was that a serious question ?

09-Apr-21
Casper, IMO it is not about bailing someone out, it is about helping someone out. I feel that Canada and the US have always had a great relationship (until Trudeau). When you have that kind of relationship, share a border, and have free trade, I feel it is best to help one another when ever possible.

When one of my friends calls me and asks for help, I don't think if it like i'm "bailing them out"

But maybe you do.....

09-Apr-21
Thanks KyleSS for such a great response!!

09-Apr-21
I was thinking the same thing Timbrhuntr!

I agree with Kyle! Canada has been a good “neighbor” over the years..................

09-Apr-21
IMO...by all means we should help our border neighbors...north and south. We need to get our own house (mess) squared away first, but yes, help your neighbors when ya can.

09-Apr-21
Rut Nut.... it’s “neighbour”. Lol

If we have the ability to help.... or bail them out, why wouldn’t we., Maybe we can use some of the money that normally goes to the countries that would rather see us dead.

09-Apr-21
I gotta add.... my friends in Ontario and Quebec are some of the best people I know. Unlike some neighbors just down the street here in the States.

09-Apr-21
I believe the US is sending Astra Zeneca vaccine to Canada which is manufactured in US but is not approved for use there so it should not affect supply to Americans. Have not heard if they are sending other vaccines

09-Apr-21
We should give TrueDick and our heads of health services several vaccines of Astra-Zeneca over a two week period.

If they live, it's safe and the people have a win. If they die, the people have a win.

09-Apr-21
First of all, let me say I have been to CA numerous times and have met some awesome folks, so this isn't a blanket statement, don't get it twisted...

The failures of the CA gov't are many and extensive, often hailed for their " free" health care ( of course nothing is free..) they are a mockery , in this situation. Very poor leadership, zero managing skills...lock down?? boy that's some very sophisticated leadership from the governing experts...an average 8th grader could do a better job of prioritizing.. Fredo Trudeau couldn't run a lemonade stand.

I feel for the outfitters there, I will support them ASAP. We should just start a protest group and storm the border and do what we want anyway...BHLM. Bear Hunter's Lives Matter.

What a miserable return the good folks in CA are getting for their exorbitant tax rates. Pathetic.

09-Apr-21
Unfortunately you get what you pay for and in this country we voted for this guy twice so it gets hard to just blame Trudope even though its the easy thing. Like I said wouldn't surprise me one bit he gets back in ! Where I live we had a one time had 2 doctors with staff running the health department but like everything else we cut stuff not because we don't need it but because we don't want to pay for it. Just look at how our hospitals and retirement homes were handled before this crisis. No wonder they start to fail almost immediately. Its easy to blame Trudeau but he just a reflection of what we wanted it seems in this country !

09-Apr-21
“We” did not want Trudumb: the Maritime provinces, the left coast, eastern Ontario and Quebec wanted him and his Liberal band of idiots as usaul. Prairie folks have the brains not to vote for them but not the population to make a difference in the outcome of elections in Canada. Sucks heiny that we get stuck with stinkin’ Liberals through no fault of our own.

09-Apr-21
Rob, its said he will get a majority mandate if the election is this June...

09-Apr-21
I'd be glad to let a Canadian citizen have my 2 vaccine doses, if it meant Canada would open the border to Americans faster. Down here the issue is not a shortage of Vaccine doses (there's plenty for all) but rather the stunningly high percentage who won't take it.

09-Apr-21
All USA needs is 70% vaccination rate, as does Canada.

09-Apr-21
Spike; Before John Diefenbaker won the election that made him PM a reporter asked him to comment on the fact that he was way behind in the polls. John told him “Dogs know what polls are for. “ Let’s hope the polls are wrong again. (I highly doubt Trudumbass would even get that joke let alone come up with it. )

09-Apr-21
I don't want to get political, but I feel I must get things straight - let's remember that the majority of Canadians did not vote for Trudope - and to break it down further, the vast majority of Quebecers did not vote for him either. He's leading a minority government with the help of his extreme left wing buddy. As far as his handling of the pandemic (without mentioning other things ), compared to leaders of other western countries, in my opinion (like others here) I think that he has fared poorly.

I'm a staunch conservative... but at 68, I don't know if we'll ever get in power again during my lifetime.

We have the lefties against us, the majority of so called minorities, all recent immigrants, the anti gun people, the anti hunting people, most women, most city slickers... then there are many others that are quite satisfied to get a check to stay at home and are happy with Trudope (some places here have abbreviated hours only because they can't get workers to come to work). I could add to the list, but then I would most likely really be politically incorrect.

We will have to learn to live with the virus - hopefully the vaccines will get us closer to a state of normalcy SOON and then they will open the border. All we can do is wait and vent our frustrations.

09-Apr-21

huntinelk's Link
If the information in this article is credible, it doesn't sound good for the foreseeable future. More doom and gloom, and no plan in the works for a possible reopening.

09-Apr-21
They are talking about late July early August... CBC interviewed 2 MP's one of them in Trudeaus cabinet. I believe the sources I heard. News just out says Canada will exceed USA's infection rate soon. Vaccination are flowing at a good pace across Canada.

09-Apr-21
Hi Ken; It is true that most of Quebec voted for the Bloc Quebecois ( another leftish leaning party that was originally formed to pursue Quebec independance) but you can bet without that option it would have been Liberal all the way. The only way that western provinces will ever have a say in government is to seperate: it should have been done a long time ago. The east and west unite like oil and water and it always has been that way. Time to give up on the farce of a united Canada it never has been since maybe about 1940 -or ever will be again we are way too different. I for one am sick of putting up with Eastern Liberal mentality ruling us out here. It is embarassing that such an idiot is the PM, makes me sick.

10-Apr-21
It seems outfitters as a whole showed what kind of people they are last year. Precious few of any guys were not pleased with treatment.

10-Apr-21
Rob, welcome to American elections too. Look at our election map....almost all red except for big cities. Yet you see who is in the white house. Now the big blue cities are losing their population to normally conservative rural states who will now be in jeopardy. Handwriting is on the wall.

10-Apr-21
Bou ; "Precious few of any guys were not pleased with treatment."

What the heck does that mean - kind of a bass-ackwards statement???????????

10-Apr-21
That means very few of those involved were disappointed in the way there outfitters handled the situation last year

Inversely positioning it means that most were very satisfied with the treatment they received from their outfitters last year

So the gist of that is outfitters generally treated hunters more than fairly even in very difficult times.

Sorry for the lack of clarity

11-Apr-21
OK, thanks, I took it to mean exactly the opposite of that. From what I read I agree, the outfitters did good by their booked hunters/fisherman.

14-Apr-21

PMO's Link
You can now apply to isolate on a trip in Yukon's wilderness People will have to leave territory immediately, if excursion is under 14 days Liny Lamberink · CBC News · Posted: Apr 11, 2021 10:48 AM CT | Last Updated: April 11

15-Apr-21
PMO: it seems that is a small step toward reopening. Thanks for the post

15-Apr-21
Oh boy that is good to see. I hope B.C. does something similar as I have a trip booked for the end of September there.

15-Apr-21
PMO

Lloyd, if they just impose a fee for the application and permit to do it, it will become law lol. $$$$

15-Apr-21
Come on BC!!

15-Apr-21
Agreed Steve , BC means Bring Cash so hopefully they get on board with something similar on a grander scale soon

15-Apr-21
Not to be negative but BC officials are calling for an interprovincial ban on travel with Trudope's blessing. BC is not doing good right now. Ontario covid cases are skyrocketing as is BC. Lets hope things change for the Fall!!

16-Apr-21

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
Has any lockdown really worked anywhere in the world? NY extreme lockdown was a bit worse than non-lockdown FL, and had a worse death rate despite FL having a good percentage more elderly. CA and TX, one lockdown the other fairly open? Seems cases nearly the same everywhere you go, lockdown or no lockdown. An area gets hit.... deals with it and moves on having developed a bit of immunity. Nobody has found anything magic or miraculous, other than anybody who delivers Amazon or stocks grocery shelves is inherently immune.....now we are told the vaccine isn't all that either.

Seems the more mental disorders you have from neurotic paranoia to megalomania.... the more governmental power you get......

Maybe Trudeau should follow Biden on his southern border plan...... screw covid and pretend it doesn't exist in border jumpers, give us some cash and start busing us up to go bear hunt and fish....

16-Apr-21
Ontario will step up enforcement powers for police and extend its stay-at-home order to a minimum of six weeks in a bid to stem the exponential rise in COVID-19 cases, but won't institute paid sick days — despite modelling showing that cases will remain high through the summer without additional support for essential workers.

Speaking at a news conference that was twice delayed-on Friday, Premier Doug Ford also announced that non-essential construction will be shut down and outdoor amenities like golf and playgrounds will be restricted.

Outdoor gatherings with people outside a person's household will be prohibited, effective 12:01 a.m. Saturday.

Effective 12:01 a.m. Monday, capacity at religious gatherings, weddings and funerals will be limited to 10 people. Also beginning Monday, Ford said, there will be checkpoints at provincial borders with Quebec and Manitoba with exceptions for essential travel.

Police will also have the authority to ask anyone outside their residence to indicate their purpose for leaving home and provide their address. That includes stopping vehicles and potentially issuing tickets up to $750.

16-Apr-21
^...that's ugly!

"Your papers please!"

16-Apr-21
Give an inch they take a mile. I don't believe lockdowns have anything to do with actually saving lives anymore.

17-Apr-21

huntinelk's Link
If this is accurate, they are talking about limiting province to province travel

17-Apr-21
Can't enter Ontario as of Monday. Police will be at the boundaries. Just as Skull stated above. If you leave your home, Police can stop us and fine us if we do not give them a good reason for being away. I cannot do my work from home so I can actually venture out if done "Safely" as they say. BUT.... I hope that this will be the end of lockdowns. In time for Fall opening!!

17-Apr-21
Can fly right to the lake from Juneau. Won’t have to be in contact with more than a few people in Canada. Seem like BC can make this happen if they want to. Please BC

17-Apr-21
Doug Ford just changed his mind.... Police will not be able to stop and question. But will do a border check

18-Apr-21
My neighbor works the Northern border. He is with Homeland Security and monitors a long stretch of the border in a wilderness area. No Mexicans, but the number of Canadians trying to cross in order to avoid the strict rules in Quebec is rising rapidly. A lineman crew from Quebec that was handling downed lines told us rescue guys that Quebec is like Russia now. I asked about my chances of getting to our place in Newfy and they said forget it. No way this year.

19-Apr-21
Received from my excellent moose outfitter in BC received yesterday. This is our plan.

“With the 3rd wave kicking in we are getting less optimistic about our borders opening so at this time we suggest holding off on booking flights unless you have fully changeable or credited tickets. We understand everyone wants to go hunting and we will try to have a firm decision by july 15 to allow you to still make the most of your fall by having time to schedule something else in, in the worst case scenario of no border open. Even if we say more than likely the border won't open in July, in the event it does open with no quarantines even though we canceled we would still reach out and see if you can make the trip right to the end!“

I have to plan as if, but also if not.

19-Apr-21
Sheep for sure!

19-Apr-21
Yesterday we saw many Quebecors speeding through our town to get to Manitoba border by 12:01 AM. Imagine making it almost to freedom and getting turned back!! OPP are now manning borders

19-Apr-21

This is at the OPP check point at the Border!!

19-Apr-21
I think at some point the affected locals up there will begin to fight back with this newest lock down. I can see a bad ending for everyone involved.

19-Apr-21
If the feds and cops put as much effort into gangs and drunk drivers, we'd save twice as many lives as covid could take.

19-Apr-21
Ambush...Guessing you have happened to notice that law enforcement has gone out the window. You are among thousands of us who are not going to tolerate much more of this. US and Canada need to get people vaccinated and the borders open...period.

19-Apr-21
Treestandwolf it was very professional and just plain nice of your outfitter to communicate with you like that. Sounds like you picked a good one. Good luck with your hunt!

20-Apr-21
On to May 21

20-Apr-21
Our Town will be mostly vaccinated with the 1st dose of Moderna vaccine by May 1rst. April 28th for both of us. They are vaccinating at a fast rate in the NW.

20-Apr-21
BC just announced new Travel Restrictions.

20-Apr-21

PMO's Link

20-Apr-21
I didn't know we had a male Canadian cabinet minister with only two syllables in his name.

20-Apr-21
Thank you Mule Power.

The fact is, he was recommended to me from right here on Bowsite.

Thank you for the well wishes. This is one hunt I’ve waited and saved for. Things dreams are made of!

21-Apr-21
Just received email copy of new contract for black bear hunt rolled over to May of 2022. 2nd rollover since original hunt was scheduled for May 2020.

21-Apr-21
CBC is reporting the border remains closed until May 21st.

22-Apr-21
May 21st of what year?

22-Apr-21
Whoops, Bou, the current, messed up on we are concerned with. 2021.

22-Apr-21
Spectrum News was the cable channel in upstate NY that was reporting the border extension to May 21, 2021. Do not know how accurate, but reports in the CTV News this morning out of Ottawa suggests that things are not good in Ontario. Provincial border travel restrictions, etc. Again, how accurate the reports are may be in question, but medical staff in both Ontario and Quebec in tough shape.

22-Apr-21
North Dakota is giving all truckers entering the USA from Canada a vaccine dose if the want one, as they enter..

22-Apr-21
Cool maybe we can get the other states to do that at all crossings as we can't rely on our government to do anything but try to find new ways to spend more !

23-Apr-21
Spike Buck.....vaccine as truckers enter? Something sounds wrong with that.

23-Apr-21
The vaccine for truckers is optional. They are hoping to expand it to other essential workers who routinely cross the border.

23-Apr-21
SteveB, As they enter they get vaccinated.... North Dakota. 4000 doses available. There's is a truck stop on I-29 that is giving the vaccine doses to those who want it.

23-Apr-21
That is awesome!! Keep it up

29-Apr-21

JL's Link
From yesterday.......

Panel aims to expedite northern border reopening

By Kelly O'Brien Published: Apr. 28, 2021 at 5:18 PM UTC|Updated: 16 hours ago

PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. (WCAX) - It’s been 13 months since the northern border was closed down by the pandemic. That order was recently extended to May 21st as COVID cases continue to rise throughout Canada and the pace of vaccinations lags behind the U.S. Policymakers and business leaders from both sides held virtual talks Wednesday on how to expedite that reopening.

“Make no mistake, a wall has been placed between us on the border,” said Garry Douglas with North Country Chamber of Commerce.

While commercial trade has not been impacted by the border closure, non-essential travel is down tenfold. Numbers from U.S. Customs and Border Protection show that under 390,000 personal vehicles crossed the border in 2020 compared to 2.3 million in 2019. There have been 24,000 so far this year.

“It is fundamentally harming the U.S.-Canadian special relationship, and the fact that it has gone on so long has already created lasting damage that we’ll have to work long and hard to repair,” Douglas said.

Former Quebec Premier Jean Charest and former Republican Vermont Governor Jim Douglas are among the 10 participants on The Wilson Task Force on Public Health and the US-Canadian Border, hosted by the Wilson Center, a Washington D.C. think tank. “What no one could predict is the effect of the variants and the situation we’re in today,” Charest said.

The panel was expected to release a reopening proposal by the end of March, but that was pushed back and no plans have been released yet. Charest said he expects vaccinations and COVID metrics will need to improve before the situation will improve. “Then, I think both governments will contemplate scenarios by which they could open the border with certain conditions.,” he said. He says digital passports could be used, as well as testing and quarantine for travelers.

Congresswoman Elise Stefanik, R-New York, who serves as co-chair of the Northern Border Caucus, says both countries need to develop a policy to help people with cross-border properties and separated families. “Leaving cross-border travel restricted in the same manor as during the height of the pandemic does not make sense. We need to start laying the groundwork for a full, safe reopening,” she said.

Charest says in the last few weeks, Canada has made headway in vaccinations, getting 30% of the country vaccinated compared to 43% in the U.S. He says he hopes the U.S. will look at the northern and southern borders separately when it comes to reopening. Mexico is trailing with only 10% of the country vaccinated.

29-Apr-21
In the US 30 % have been fully vaccinated in Canada 2.8 % . Its one dose for 30 and 43 I guess its just how they spin it no wonder we have no faith in them !!! Do you just need one dose or do you need two ? I remember when I was on the Fire Department you needed 40 hours of training to get checked out on a ladder truck but when guys retired etc and you had a shortage suddenly you only needed 5 hours I guess it works that way with vaccines too !

29-Apr-21
I was told that I will get my second dose in 16 weeks.

29-Apr-21
Are Nunavut and NWT still closed to other Canadians? What are the natives thoughts on vaccinations? Will they take it?

29-Apr-21
Haven’t heard anything about Nunavut yet from my CCBGC outfitter. He is up there right now and I am sure trying to get it figured out.

NWT looks like they have a plan to allow you in as a Canadian from outside of NWT or Nunavut....a bunch of stipulations and quarantine while you hunt. My Mt Caribou outfitter says my hunt is a go for September! Good news on that front. He indicated that hunters from outside of Canada would be allowed in when the Canada border opens under the same stipulations but didn’t anticipate the border opening very soon.

30-Apr-21
Plenty of Canadians down here for the winter Months in Arizona, tell me how that is?

30-Apr-21
Just saw that 75% of Canadians will be vaccinated by mid July or early August. Thanks mostly go's to the good ole USA!!

07-May-21
Senator Chuck Schumer wrote a letter yesterday to the Biden administration asking for a detailed plan on re-opening the border as soon as possible. He is by far the highest ranking politician who is asking for this. I think this is a positive step, especially considering he is from New York. He says he wants the definition of essential travelers expanded to include vaccinated people who have property, educational, medical or business reasons for crossing the border. He wants this done in the interim until the border can be fully reopened.

https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/top-us-senator-chuck-schumer-demands-a-more-open-canadian-border.html

07-May-21
Is being sick of not being able to go hunting in Canada a covered medical condition In this request I wonder

08-May-21
Graph of SW Border Apprehensions since Biden in office

Once again the Biden administration is lying to the public about the crisis it created at the border.

08-May-21
I don't think before mid-September the border will be open. When Stone Sheep Outfitters are selling their hunts to residents up here for 1/2 price that says something. Still at 1/2 price it is a lot of money.

10-May-21
I returned from southern Mexico a week ago. I was tested for Covid At the airport the day before the flight. That has to be done in three days or less from your flight. It cost $33. And I got the results within 30 minutes. Got a surprise at the airport that an online document had to be filled out regarding Covid before I could check my luggage in. Before I left the airline had me login my email and password to get an airline app. I completely forgot about that. When I went to fill out the online document it said I was already registered. I flew from San Diego to Houston then Merida. If you ever travel to Mexico avoid Mexico City airport. To many people Customs was a breeze since it was just our flight. I had zero issues with safety and never felt the least bit uncomfortable.

10-May-21
"Plenty of Canadians down here for the winter Months in Arizona, tell me how that is?" USA only stopped land border travel, so Canadians (or anyone) can fly into the USA for recreational purposes. All USA land border travel is still restricted to non-essential however. Canada shut down all non-essential (both land and air)

10-May-21
Hunting is pretty essential to all of us.

17-Jun-21
Bowman, good luck …..the world isn’t the same any longer. Make sure your affairs are in order before you leave.

17-Jun-21
Biden won't push for Canadian opening due to COVID but has no problem with Mexican border being overrun with non tested or vaccinated! Please explain!!

17-Jun-21
from canada north outfitters today:

The backbone of Inuit Life is the ability to travel. Traveling on the land to hunt, to fish, to gather country food, to see family in other communities. Time spent with family and friends keeping the mind and body healthy. The travel restrictions we have endured in the south have as we all know impacted our mental and physical well-being. My Nunavut spring 2021 trip confirmed any doubt that the ability to travel is incredibly important, whether you are a gypsy like I am where traveling is like breathing or a periodic traveller adventurer it is time to travel! Nunavut will now be accepting vaccinated travellers this season and we have been told we will get news on the Canadian border opening plans in the next 5 to 7 days! Long awaited positive news and traveling!! We will be doing an update next week as we are clear on travel into Canada.

17-Jun-21
The border opening is based on Montreal Canadians making it to the Conference Finals. And even more freedoms if the make the Stanley Cup Finals. ;)

17-Jun-21
I got the same message from Shane at Canada North. Good news that Nunavut is opening up!

17-Jun-21
Chatter says US will open to Vaccinated Canadians on June 22nd.

17-Jun-21
It’s June the 17th.

17-Jun-21
LOL... Corrected to June 22nd. Thanks WV!!

***Border closure has been extended to July 21rst... with a reopening plan coming June 21rst.

18-Jun-21
Yeah right.

18-Jun-21
July of 2022?

18-Jun-21
So I stand by my early post of "rolling opening in July" I would not count on it this fall and that is sad. We are pretty much back to normal in Ohio but much of the US and most of Canada are not. I feel for any Canadian business that relies on tourism whether it is hunting, fishing or anything else.

• Sitka Gear