04-Apr-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
turn left
turn left
turn right. Add a dark colored sting, attach to neck, run string under a heavy branch within 4 ft of decoy and then back to the hide.
turn right. Add a dark colored sting, attach to neck, run string under a heavy branch within 4 ft of decoy and then back to the hide.
When needed, I have had good success attracting in that stubborn Tom turkey into bow range with decoy movement. The wind is not always helpful and sometimes movement is not needed but when movement will help, I attach a string to the Tom or sometimes to a hen decoy. It helps turn the decoy if the decoy is set in the ground, not straight on to the blind but quartering to the blind. A slight pull on the string will make the decoy swing. Another pull, the decoy will swing the other way. Or you can bob the decoy. When using a full strut tom, I have attached two string, one forward and on behind as one can really adjust the decoy' movement. Many times, movement of the decoy will be the reason for success.

04-Apr-21
Any movement has got to help. Forrest

04-Apr-21
Paul, great tip! Has anyone used the movement-maker when turkey hunting in the hardwoods where visibility is only 50-60 yards?

04-Apr-21
Yes movement is killer anywhere that is why some states are making laws against it . Ever see the video of the guy with full tom strutter mount ontop of a motorized toy truck. Has toms chasing it all over the field !

04-Apr-21
The fishing line trick definitely works, Paul. I carry an old fishing reel with 20-30 yards of line spooled on it, then a short, single strand of electrical wire attached to the end of the fishing line. I also screwed a small eye screw into my Jake decoy, below the beard, and hook the electrical wire to that. I’ll push the decoy stake into the ground at a slight angle , so the decoy always is facing uphill when it finishes swinging, if that makes sense.

04-Apr-21
Hmmmm? I know you didn't ask, but I actually think decoys hurt more than they help. Don't get me wrong, sometimes a bird will run right in, but in my experience, they hurt me more than they help. I find the tom will simply do what he's supposed to do, when he sees a decoy. Strut! Like you have to go to him. I find calling to be the most effective tool, and far less to carry. A bird that doesn't see the bird talking to him tends to come closer.....at least for me that's the case. This year with the unseasonably warm spring, I've already seen toms mating, so even those early season charging 2 year old mobs will be less likely, because birds will be broken up from the winter flock even sooner. I do wish the season started a week earlier. I certainly voted in favor of the old season dates.

Decoys that move are in my opinion a much better choice though.

04-Apr-21
I do pretty much the same, a good and efficient way to manage your string. I have one my old bass reels in the bottom of my decoy bag with braided 40 lb line. Simply, i jus set up my decoys ,then open the bell and walk back to my bilnd/ hide,,,(i like that Paul ill steal the wordage) with the line free spooling as i walk. When im ready to go reel as i walk back to the decoys, no mess, fast efficient...movements bring the decoys to life...

04-Apr-21

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Pic of the setup. I put kind of a double twist on the wire that feeds through the eyelet. Seems to help stop it from coming unhooked as easily.

04-Apr-21
We were typing at the same time t roy...

04-Apr-21

Pete, ever since I switched to a less aggressive Jake decoy , bedded over a hen. I have had no problem decoying in a tom turkey. That was not always the case when I used a Tom in full strut/fan as this "mature" looking tom seem to intimate some younger or less aggressive toms, some times not allowing the to come in. When I used to shotgun turkeys in a thicker environment, I never used a decoy as I wanted them to search me out and come closer.

My line reel consists of a small flat piece of wood.

04-Apr-21
Sounds like a good plan Paul!

04-Apr-21
All you need is a Dakota jake, it's almost like cheating it works so good.

04-Apr-21
Alot of wisdom in that last post boys!

04-Apr-21

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I use line attached to the breast and tail and then run through eye bolts pressed into the ground under the decoy and back to my blind. I pull left and right string and get that perfect strutting waddle. It worked like a champ on this public land monarch that was my son’s first bow kill. You can see the setup in the pic.

05-Apr-21
How are you attaching your line to your decoy Brotsky? I have some kind of stake that you bolt to your decoy that works off of a pulley. You run the strings back to your blind and you can spin him either way you like. It works but it is too cumbersome and I find myself just leaving it at home more often than not.

05-Apr-21
Mark, I just used some wood screws I had lying around my work bench. I tie the string to the screw run it through the eye of the biggest eye-bolts I could find and back to the blind (about 8-9 yards). Basically all I'm carrying is two eye bolts and 80' of camo paracord.

05-Apr-21
Paul, I tried this for the first time ever, on Saturday.

I was calling for a buddy, who had never shot an archery bird. About a 12 yard shot, he made the classic mistake, of putting his 20 pin on it, and skimmed feathers off the back, lol !

Watch the gobbler turn and run in, as soon as my Jake starts doing "head bobs" !

I just took an old carbon arrow, and used it for the stake. I cut the top of the arrow with my dremel, and put an insert in it. I just use a field point to go through the hole in the top of the Jake, and screw the arrow on tight.

I secured a clip in the center of the arrow, to tie off the fishing line. I roll it all up on the arrow, and stick it in my quiver, when I'm ready to head out, or pack in.

05-Apr-21
Are you guys not allowed to use a battery operated stake? I bought one a few years ago and has a remote. I use it with my DSD jake. Hit the button and turns 180 to the left then 180 degrees back to the right. It works great!

FF

05-Apr-21
Hey Jeff, what do they say about teaching an old dog new tricks? Nicely done.

05-Apr-21
It works great, but I'm pretty sure it's not legal in Michigan. I'm sure there are other States where it's not legal. Better check the regulations before you try it.

05-Apr-21
"Hey Jeff, what do they say about teaching an old dog new tricks"?

Thanks Paul...but it's just a modification of your idea...you inspired me.

I'm glad you did...works great !

05-Apr-21
Shaft, Interesting. I looked up Michigan turkey Decoy use, and yes it does state, no mechanical mean to move the decoy like a motor and I guess using a string attached to the decoy is "a mechanical means." But then in the next sentence, it states that wind blown movement of a decoy is allowed. I have a hard time making the difference between a string VS wind movement. Thanks for the reply. Paul

05-Apr-21
Try running a string through your deke top to bottom and hang from a branch. Anchor with an 8" spike. Takes very little breeze to move it. If too windy, stick a couple rods or sticks alongside to prevent spinning.

05-Apr-21
Paul, I agree, kind of a grey area but I would lean toward it being illegal. When I used my pretty boy tom decoy I used a real turkey fan on it, and it didn't take much wind to make the pretty boy move. However, the last couple of years I've used my DSD Jake decoy with good success.

07-Apr-21

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
My "Junk Drawer" solution, to a moving decoy. Carbon arrow has the perfect amount of "flex", when used as the stake.

Takes a while to wind up 10 yds of fishing line when you pack up to leave, but the setup is extremely quick. Weighs nothing.

14-Apr-21
I have 2 hens. I have epoxies a push button call to the state under one hen. Covered with camo head net.string attached to wood push rod. I pull the string a couple times or so and yelp yelp yelp and movement too. You think that will help?

19-Apr-21
I should try this.

21-Apr-21
Crow #2 I used that setup many times. A box call under a hen yelp yelp. And a fishing line to another decoy. This was my secret setup for years. Killed dozens of birds this way. This was 15 -20 years ago. It is deadly. Sometimes I would jerk the decoy around valiantly just to see what the birds would do , like a turkey seizure. Still brought em in. You dont need the netting over the call. They dont know what a turkey call is

• Sitka Gear