Matt 14-Apr-21
Heat 14-Apr-21
FORESTBOWS 15-Apr-21
YZF-88 15-Apr-21
Drnaln 16-Apr-21
04-Apr-21

ki-ke's embedded Photo
ki-ke's embedded Photo
Ok Kifaru fans....I am close to pulling the trigger but not there yet. Rather than add to the "elk daypack" thread and get a few more opinions insisting my Hello Kitty or Bob the Builder schoolbag/lunchbox set works just as well, I thought I'd ask for Kifaru specific opinions.

My basic parameters:

1) 2 day bivy capable. Food, water, bag, tarp, kill kit, Spot scope, etc.

2) Can pack meat.

3) Can effectively strap my bow to the pack without thinking too much. (after I unstrap it)

4) Can shoot while wearing pack

5) Bottom of pack is accessible without pulling everything else out.

I'm looking at XRay, Shapecharge, 14'r and 22 Mag G2. Seems the biggest difference is fully framed, or not. Fully framed would obviously be advantageous when packing meat, as I could detach the bag and keep it clean. What other advantages are there for fully framed? Are the load lifters on the integrally strapped packs as functional as fully framed? Framed packs are a but more coin as well, so theres that. I can always start a Go F me page for the fundage....

Thanks for all qualified opinions.

04-Apr-21
Of those listed I like the G2 but don’t have experience with any of them. I have a larger main bag and use a medium pouch on the webbing for stuff I want handy.

04-Apr-21
Check out the 357 mag

04-Apr-21

FORESTBOWS 's embedded Photo
Lots of options. Check out small muskeg with a water prof lid and a quarter panel. Can leave bag at camp and just use lid a quarter panel for day pack .

04-Apr-21

4 person camp.

04-Apr-21
that photo above,,,,,,,, thank god .i'm old

04-Apr-21
Gheez, that had to be fun.

04-Apr-21

Stryker with lid. Everything for 2 person camp

04-Apr-21
Awesome!

04-Apr-21
Forest, Which frame are you both using in the photos?

04-Apr-21
Duplex light frames.

04-Apr-21
I have the 22mag G2 w/ the 24” tactical frame and I also have the 14’r. I’ve done 3-5 nights out of the 22 Mag. Both will do what you described. The frame and pack obviously has the most flexibility, but I hunted 20+ days and packed out 3 bulls with the 22 mag and never used the load shelf. I’m going to give the 14’r a go as my main pack this year starting with a 7 day fly fishing trip into the Wind Rivers simply because it is MUCH lighter empty than the 22mag.

05-Apr-21
I recently got the Duplex Ultralight frame when they came on sale. Paired it with the Stryker which was recently on sale. Not sure if it still is or not.

This should make a great combo for everything from elk to run 'n gun whitetails.

05-Apr-21
Midwest, does the bag separate easily from the frame? Wondering if you plan to/are able to hang the bag on your WT hunts. Thanks, TODDY

05-Apr-21
TODDY, the Stryker is a cargo panel with a bag permanently affixed so no, you wouldn't want to detach from the frame. An option would be to have the guide lid like shown in Forest's pics above. That could be easily detached from whatever bag you choose and hung in the stand with you. You could attach a large pocket to the lid as well to carry more "stuff" up the tree. Lots of other options.

05-Apr-21
Stryker XL. Bag and cargo panel all in one...

06-Apr-21
I know a lot of guys love the stryker. I am not a fan (which proves I'm really hard to please). Because the new Kifaru k clips are bigger, I could not get that bag compressed tight enough with small day gear. It would flop around too much for my OCD. If you carry enough gear in the bag, I suppose it would get tight. I see the appeal for carrying treestands and awkward loads. I don't carry much when day hunting elk, which is why I sent it back.

06-Apr-21
I've had Kifaru packs since the 90's before the explosion of pack options that are available today. You are asking about a daypack but #1 on the list is for it to be good for a 2 day bivy. #2 is to be able to pack meat. Neither one of these is really applicable to a true "daypack". A larger pack than can do those things is certainly ok to hunt with and I have used larger packs that meet those requirements. My advice would be to find a comfortable smaller pack that will hold your kill kit, spotting scope, rain gear, etc. then have a frame that you can strap that pack to for hauling meat or an overnight stay for those few times you actually need the larger more heavy duty pack. No need to pack around a lot of bulk and weight just in case.

06-Apr-21
Great info gents! Much appreciated!

Forest! That 1st pi reminds me of Lou (Cityhunter) packing in on his dirt bike when he hunted with BigDan! Remember the pic with the plastic stack chair at the top of his Dr Seuss pack? Classic. I like the idea of the smaller Muskeg, but I'm drawn to the lower profile and narrower build of the 22 mag and 14'r. I'm leaning towards the 22 mag, only because I can pack meat between the pack and the bag.

Thanks again for all the feedback!!

06-Apr-21
I use an EMR 2. Packs down small for day hunts or expands for long hunts.

06-Apr-21
Ermine- EMR II is kinda jumbo, even when cinched down, no?

07-Apr-21
I know this is a dumb question before I ask it. Has anyone tried to haul meat with the shape charge?

07-Apr-21
If you are average height or more you would probably be better off with a pack that has stays at least 22 inches, 24 is better, if you are tall 26" is better yet. Especially if you want it to perform well as a meat hauler. Shape Charge stays are 18".

07-Apr-21
Great information on here. Does anyone run the 22 inch frame to save weight & less to catch on stuff overhead? I know it gives you less bag options & less load lifter height but would it be a good option for a guy that's 5' 9"? Please no short jokes....

07-Apr-21
If your using it primarily for a day pack, I think the 22" frame is a great idea. It won't pack heavy meat loads as comfortably as a longer frame. But I would be willing to give up comfort for less frame sticking out while hunting w/ it.

07-Apr-21
I'm 5'9 and use my Late Season with 22" stays the most. I think I have a pic that shows how much shoulder lift between my Late Season (22) and my Duplex (24). Standby...

07-Apr-21

Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo
Sorry, my photagrapher is only about 4'2" tall so I had to get on my knees so we could get an eye level shot.
Heat's embedded Photo
Sorry, my photagrapher is only about 4'2" tall so I had to get on my knees so we could get an eye level shot.
Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo

07-Apr-21

07-Apr-21
Thanks for the info.

07-Apr-21

Heat's embedded Photo
Heat's embedded Photo

11-Apr-21
I'm liking the 22 mag. It is important to me to be able to use it as my airline carry on, as I put all my optics in there, plus anything else that will fit and help keep me under absurd wt limits....The 22 mag seems to be one of the only smaller framed packs that will work as a carry on.

How are you guys strapping a bow to your pack?

13-Apr-21
ki-ke sounds like that 22 Mag might work best for you if 22 inch stays are a priority for airline travel. If packing meat comfortably is more a priority and you are taller than 5'9 or so I would recommend a taller frame.

I use a Grab It on the bottom and a generic bungie strap on top when I carry my bow on my back which honestly is not very often for me.

13-Apr-21
Heat- Great minds and all....lol I went with the 22 mag with the 24" frame. i also ordered the Grab it and a strap kit. Cant wait for the thing to get here! Thanks for the advice.

13-Apr-21
You’ll like it.

14-Apr-21
For carrying a bow, I use the grab it and either one of the pack straps (Fulcrum) or an added strap from Kifaru that connects to the frame loops.

14-Apr-21
Right on ki-ke! You did good!

15-Apr-21
https://www.facebook.com/groups/kifarujunkies/permalink/3042119106041398/?sale_post_id=3042119106041398

15-Apr-21
I use the Mtn Warrior on a duplex frame for everything. It’s simple, and perfectly sized for bivy sized trips, as a day pack or even packing out and elk.

16-Apr-21
I ordered the Duplex Lite frame & the Stryker XL. Thanks for all the input on here & the PM's. Good Luck to everyone on all your hunts!

• Sitka Gear