Jims 05-Apr-21
Teeton 05-Apr-21
Teeton 06-Apr-21
Jaquomo 06-Apr-21
Whocares 06-Apr-21
JL 06-Apr-21
Old School 06-Apr-21
05-Apr-21
I'm looking for a new pair of boots.. Spring turkey and early season bow hunting.

American made, mid boot/hiker style, Goretex, light insulation at least 200, and wide width.

I can't find anything to match. Seems like it's either non insulated or medium width.

I've checked the companies recommended here without finding what I want.

Any new ideas, companies? Did I miss something?

Thanks guys.

05-Apr-21
I think some of the problem with finding a good boot is in the part, American made. Their's a lot of good boot companies that are from Europe. Look to European made and you will have tons of high quality to choose from. Just find one that your foot really likes and you will be good to go. Ed

05-Apr-21
Absolutely the best mid boot I've ever owned is the Meindl Perfect Hiker. I believe they are German made however. Cabelas used to sell them but no longer do. Do a search on Meindl USA and it will pop up. If you go with them the first thing you do is dunk them in your bathtub, inside and out, strap them on and walk around until they are dry. They will form to your foot and fit like a glove. I've owned 4 pair and have done that with every one of them.

05-Apr-21
I've had four pairs of the Meindls from Cabelas and they are very good. They are made in Germany. Crispis are far and away the best mid boot I've ever used, but think they are made in Italy.

05-Apr-21
Thanks guys. I have checked the ones that you recommend. I’ll look again.

Difficult part is the wide width, to go with the GoreTex and light insulation.

05-Apr-21
Cripsi Thor or Salomon 4D GTX are the two best early season boots I have used. No insulation, but I wouldn't go w insulation unless I expected snow.

05-Apr-21
The majority of Meindl's are made in Germany.. But some are made outside of Germany. I to find that Meindl boots work very well with my feet, large toe box with a somewhat narrower heel. My favorite is also the perfekt hiker. Meindl and Cabela's have separated but are still being sold in the USA. Just google them. I'm sending a pair of my older perfekt hiker off to get a rand put on them. We will see how that goes for me.

05-Apr-21
Matt, funny, but those two are my elk go-to boots for September!

05-Apr-21
I bought the Crispi Summit non insulated for the same uses. I love mine.

05-Apr-21
I wear wide in Lowa and Hanwag but regular width in Crispi Colorado's. I think Crispi's run a little wider. I also have a pair of Cabela's/Meindl Perfekt Hunters, 200 gram in regular width that I really like. Got them cheap in the Bargain Cave.

05-Apr-21
Crispi Crossover is a great mid height boot... but no insulation. FWIW- I haven’t worn a boot with with insulation for twenty years while elk hunting from September through November.

05-Apr-21
Air leak, you ever check out boots at 'Eastern Mountain Sports'? They have several locations in CT.

05-Apr-21
Second the solomon gtx 4d. Good hiker, doesn't break the bank.

05-Apr-21
Its tough to beat Crispi's! Lots of models to choose from. I never wear insulated boots and I work outside in Colorado all winter long. I buy my boots around 1/2 to 1 size bigger so I can add padded insoles. When it's cold out I can loosen up the laces and add a pair of insulated socks. When warm I cinch laces tighter.

05-Apr-21

06-Apr-21
Opp, sorry must of hit a,wtong button.

06-Apr-21
I hit the "wtong" button regularly

06-Apr-21
I have Lowas, Kenetreks, and the Salomon 4D GTX. Salomon my favorite. Recently ordered my 4th pair. I put lots of miles on them including around home.

06-Apr-21
Trying to find extra wide boots (or shoes) is always a problem for me too....14 EEE or WWW. Baffins were the only quality boots I have that fit well. I didn't look to see if they make early season hiking boots.

06-Apr-21
Lowas and Kennetreks for me.

• Sitka Gear