Shiloh 11-Apr-21
Pat Lefemine 11-Apr-21
Shiloh 12-Apr-21
Stressless 12-Apr-21
c5ken 12-Apr-21
Stressless 12-Apr-21
Stressless 12-Apr-21
08-Apr-21
I frost seeded my 3ac Ladino clover plot several weeks ago with 25lbs of clover & a few lbs of chicory.. I checked the plot yesterday & I see lots of new growth. I want to hit the plot with Imox & Nitro-surf but I'm concerned I'll kill the new clover/chicory plants. I'm told I should apply Imox/Nitro-surf when the weeds are about 2/3" tall. Others say to wait until the weeds are 4/6" tall so the new clover/chicory plants will be larger & able to survive the Imox spray. So, in your opinion, when should I apply Imox/Nitro-surf??

08-Apr-21
I just sprayed imox in my Durana plot this week. My clover was .5-1” max. It was fall planted however. But I have no concerns.

08-Apr-21
Pat did you ever plant Durana in NY with success and have it live thru multiple winters?

C5ken this is the issue with Spring planted clover. Also anything over 4 ounces per acre is going to kill your chicory with the NS. Anything under 5-6 ounces acre may not be as effective on the weeds.

09-Apr-21
Yes the Nitrosurf will contribute to chicory injury. I’m in the same boat. I use 6 oz per acre without NS when chicory present and 6 oz with NS otherwise. I’ve had no success with under 6 oz.

09-Apr-21
I've had great success with Imox (6oz) + NS on spring clover and frost seed every year. Young clover plants have not been an issue. Sorry, no experience with chickory.

Second applications of Imox + NS during mid-late summer have not produced the same results on broadleaf weeds (thankfully, grass hasn't been an issue following spring applications). Typically, I mow the weekend prior to summer applications. I think the weeds are just too mature for the Imox to handle. Several varieties will spread at ground level before rising. Weeds that appear to be 4-6" tall are actually a foot or two long when you pull them.

Plan this year is to use Imox in the spring and go back to Butyrac in the summer. The latter has just been more effective on ragweed...which is by far my biggest summer nemesis.

09-Apr-21

Pat Lefemine's Link
RIT, yes. This link shows year 7 on my NY Durana plot. It was amazingly aggressive and still looked great.

09-Apr-21
So I need to make a decision soon... My weeds are starting to grow. Should I apply Imox & Nitro-surf when the weeds are 2/3" or 5/6" tall and not kill the new clover plants...

09-Apr-21
c5ken

Two things - you have to apply for What crop you are growing and What Weeds you want to Kill.

Raptor is EXACTLY the formulation in IMOX and the label spells out EXACTLY what to do.

http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/labels/Raptor.pdf

Example - "Chicory

DO Not use on chicory in California.

Apply Raptor early post emergence when weeds are actively growing and before they exceed a height of 3 inches, unless otherwise indicated. Apply Raptor early post emergence when chicory has at least 2, and no more than 4, fully expanded true leaves present. DO NOT applyto chicory subjected to stress conditions, such as hail damage, flooding, drought, injury from other herbicides, or widely fluctuating temperatures, or crop injury may result.THIS PRODUCT WHEN USED IN CHICORY MAY LEAD TO CROP INJUR...."

SO Look & Learn - Best of luck.

09-Apr-21
Thanks Pat that’s great news not sure how I missed that part of the review.

09-Apr-21
That review was from 2018, i ended up killing the Durana off and switched to alfalfa in 2019, and regretted that ever since.

11-Apr-21
So it appears I shouldn't have frost seeded chicory... It will be killed when I apply 6oz of Imox & Nitro surf. I only seeded 2lbs of Chicory so no big-deal... So how many gallons of water should I apply with 6oz of Imox & 3 pints of Nitro-surf??

11-Apr-21
I don’t use chicory in my food plot mixes because it will be killed by nearly all pesticides used to kill broadleaf weeds. Broadleaf weeds are a problem in my food plots in SE Iowa. In addition to chicory, these pesticides will kill other common broadleaf food plot plants such as turnips, sugar beets, and brassicas.

11-Apr-21
With the sprayer that I use at 3 mph and 40 psig it puts down about 20 gallons per acre so I mix with 20 gallons. The instructions for Rapter say to use a minimum of 10 gallons per acre. I have only applied IMOX once but I got good results with 20 gallons per acre. I think that I was told that more water is better with IMOX.

11-Apr-21
I applied 6oz Imox per acre and put down 10gal liquid per acre. I used a surfactant and it seems to be working.

11-Apr-21
When using Imox you need to be patient. It doesn’t show immediate results like 2-4D or 2,4DB but it does a good job over time. On my 5 acre clover field I can’t find a blade of grass. But two weeks after spraying last fall the grass still looked great then it vanished.

Imox does a piss poor job on other weeds like Dock. That’s why I hit the Dock with 2,4DB this past week and it’s damn near dead already.

12-Apr-21
You are correct Pat. I sprayed about 2 weeks ago and the grass in my plots is just now starting to yellow. Fortunately I get to look at mine on a regular basis, so I can keep up with it.

12-Apr-21

Stressless's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

C5ken.

You can use IMOX and Frost seed, this picture is of a plot I frost seeded with Chicory, Clover, BFT in Feb, Treated with 5.5oz/acre IMOX o/a 1 May in Mid-OH (I didn't count the number of leaves on the chicory) my frost seed mix was 20% chicory the rest clovers and BFT.

No other herbicide applications that year.

Mowed in June and Sep just after this pic.

Chicory is a wonderful addition to a mixed plot and all your plots should be mixed to keep the pattern of movement you are trying to develop consistent throughout the hunting months. Best regards.

12-Apr-21
Stressless, You stated you used 5.5oz of Imox per ac. Can you please tell me how many gallons for water was used with the 5.5oz of Imox per ac...

12-Apr-21

IMOX is supposed to be spread at 4 to 6 oz per acre on land. That's a 50% increase/difference in herbicide application amount and if you don't read and follow the full instructions it can and will kill or inhibit your crop plantings.

Calibrating your sprayer is to understand how many gallons of liquid your sprayer-pump+pressure+nozzels+speed will deliver over an acre. The IMOX oz for your crop(s)and surfactant are based per acre.

The local agronomist both Merit and Heritage Co-op recommended 20 gallons per acre as IMOX was designed as an aquatic herbicide, "it works better - wetter" much different then Gly or other 'burning' herbicides.

I put down IMOX at a rate of 20 gallons, 4 pounds of ammonium sulfate and 5.25IMOX oz / acre

For my setup, That equaled, 20 gallons/acre which was accomplished by setting the variables at = 40psi on a 7 nozzle(boom) = 1.9gpm, 3mph.

To simplify, or for folks like me that are visual learners, we're going into the statement "Gallons applied per acre". The first chart below is my boom sprayer application rate sheet with the settings as applied in 2020.

All the variables that we used in 2020 are Circled in BLUE. The nozzle(s) Tip, combined with the Pressure (40psi), Speed(3mph) gives us the amount of liquid the boom puts out in Gallons Per Acre(GPA). In last years application that was 19.8GPA so when mixing the IMOX last year we added the surfactant # (ammonium sulfate) and IMOX at 5.25oz(4oz-6oz/acre recommended per the label) to every 19.8 gallons of water we put in the sprayer.

With a 25 gallon tank it's just some simple arithmetic for a full tank, the big rock up front is counterbalance the rear weight for steering!!

12-Apr-21

Your sprayer manual should have some grid or chart like this -

The key points applying ammonium salt of imazamox:

*10 or more GPA of water on most plots, 20 or more GPA of water on minimum-till or no-till crops

*Larger droplet size is recommended

*A spray pressure of 20 to 40 PSI is recommended

*An adjuvant (either surfactant OR crop oil concentrate) AND nitrogen fertilizer MUST be added to the spray solution for optimum weed control

*Apply to early post emergence when weeds are actively growing and before they exceed a height of 3 inches, (read the linked PDF's above for your crop)

*Apply a minimum of 1 hour before rainfall or overhead irrigation

*Add the oz of IMOX you desire (4-6oz per the label) to the gallons per acre (GPA) defined by your sprayers nozzle(s), PSI, and speed of application.

*Reduce the fluctuation in the variable you have the least control over as much as possible for the greatest reduction in application rate error.

• Sitka Gear