krieger 09-Apr-21
Bowfreak 09-Apr-21
Beav 09-Apr-21
t-roy 09-Apr-21
'Ike' (Phone) 09-Apr-21
Brotsky 09-Apr-21
'Ike' (Phone) 09-Apr-21
09-Apr-21
When using a jake or strutter decoy in front of a blind, which way do you face him? Seems I always remember reading back in the day to face him toward the blind and I guess I've always sorta done that, usually kind of "quartering to" the blind. Honestly, I doubt it really matters. My jake is usually 8-10 yards from the blind and if a gobbler commits to coming in, at some point he's going to present a good shot angle that doesn't interfere with the decoy.

How about you? Think it matters?

09-Apr-21
I place him in a way that he will be most visible from the furthest away based upon the anticipated direction of approach from a longbeard. Having them see the decoy is the most important element in the setup. I’ve had them approach the decoy from all angles, doesn’t seem to matter.

09-Apr-21
I’ve had them approach the decoy from all angles, doesn’t seem to matter. Is a good answer, they never do what you expect!

09-Apr-21
I usually place him sideways to my blind, and push the stake in at a bit of an angle, if I’m using some fishing line to create some movement. That way, he always ends up facing uphill, so-to-speak, when he stops moving. I don’t think it makes much difference in the direction he’s facing, like you alluded to, the bird will most likely give you several shot angles while he is posturing. Part of the time, the decoy ends up on the ground anyway!

09-Apr-21
So that's how t-roy makes his shot. Ties em up in line first so they quit moving and then get em with the bow eh?

09-Apr-21
lol...Troy, last year I shot a tom off the top of my decoy.

Brotsky, I do the same and my hen is always farther out and set so it can be seen from other angles the jake might not be visible from.

09-Apr-21
APauls....have to use a big treble hook!

09-Apr-21
I had always heard face the Jake toward you so Toms will come in to face it to show off, leaving their rear (and fan) toward you so easier to draw your bow because the Tom's fan blocks his vision of you.

The first bird I killed that worked like a charm. None of the next half dozen I killed plus many others that got away followed that script. Now I think it doesn't matter, birds will come in from whatever direction their pea brain decides.

09-Apr-21
I’ve always faced it at the blind. Not sure the difference it makes. I do recall Once I had the wind blow and the Jake spun and looked away from the blind. Had 2 birds come in and just hang up out in the direction of the Jake. They just stood there looking at the Jake.

09-Apr-21
It should be noted, I DO use a barbless treble hook!.....I think I’ll go post something over on the leatherwall, now ;-)

09-Apr-21
A serious Tom will come in and walk circles around the jake, giving you plenty of drawing opportunity. A Tom that has been harassed by a group of aggressive jakes may not, all depends on the turkeys past experiences and mood that day.

09-Apr-21
I'm not sure it matters but I always face mine toward the blind. Every bird that come in now is enraged and immediately attacking the deke. This seems to have changed after I repainted my jake's head. It had faded a bit so I bought some red spray paint and painted the head with a sponge and since that point he has taking a bunch of whippings.

09-Apr-21
I face my quartering towards the blind but like to have it so they can see the head of the decoy as the approach. I have had toms stand behind the decoy and peck on it for what seemed like forever before being offered a shot. Unless I have T-Roy in the blind, then you just set the hook and reel them in!

09-Apr-21
I’m just hoping Ryan Cumstain (or whatever his name is) and the Sacramento Bee doesn’t get wind of all this!

09-Apr-21

'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
'Ike' (Phone)'s embedded Photo
I try to face mine towards me, but more importantly as stated, so they can be seen from different directions...Tom’s have come pretty much from every direction!

09-Apr-21
The only thing I can confirm with 100% certainty is that in Cali you need them leaning hard to the left like in G's picture above. Anything turned right and they head for Colorado or Montana.

09-Apr-21
LMAO...

• Sitka Gear