JulianT 14-Apr-21
WV Mountaineer 14-Apr-21
Capra 14-Apr-21
Treeline 14-Apr-21
IdyllwildArcher 15-Apr-21
Nick Muche 16-Apr-21
badlander 10-May-21
13-Apr-21
Why are we not talking about this?!?! Why does Alaska believe this is okay?

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/alaska-caribou-hunt-closures-not-about-herd-numbers

13-Apr-21
"Why Does Alaska believe this is okay?"

I don't believe ALASKA does... It's the RAC in NW AK and the FSB.

13-Apr-21
What Nick said.

13-Apr-21
How can we voice dissent?

13-Apr-21
At the bottom of the article is where you can call in to the meeting.

13-Apr-21
Still silence from the flat brimmers who’s sole purpose is to fight for public land access. I guess it just doesn’t fit their narrative about how all lands are better off in the feds hands vs state.

13-Apr-21
If it's based on reasons of scientific wildlife management then it's surely fine. If it's being done only for reasons of resident public sentiment, then it's very wrong. Of course that's an opinion worth very little, in the great big scheme of things, considering that I live in Indiana.

13-Apr-21
Science is not being considered with this Action. Herd numbers are well above goal and non-local harvest remains around 2-3% annually. 2-3%! 60 million acres are at stake here...

13-Apr-21

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
For anyone that is unfamiliar with the area in question, it's basically the two largest units in the state, 23 and 26A. An incredible amount of land...

13-Apr-21
wow. no doubt an incredible amount of land

13-Apr-21
The new norm is science is not required for any policies, despite claims otherwise. It "feels good" to let subsistence hunters have free reign. You know, those "traditional" hunters...with snowmobiles, ATVs, rifles, satellite TV and internet...

Don't get me wrong, living in the AK bush is hard and I personally couldn't do it. The people are tough and I am not belittling them in any way. But the buffoons making decisions and policies like this haven't a clue about reality. They hear "subsistence" and it's all over. It's up to them as heroes to stop those pesky outsiders from depriving the locals of that 2-3%...

Most of which are probably bulls...which reflects even LESS impact to the total herd numbers...

13-Apr-21
"For anyone that is unfamiliar with the area in question, it's basically the two largest units in the state, 23 and 26A. An incredible amount of land..."

Unit 23 alone is the size of the state of Indiana and 26A is bigger than 23.

13-Apr-21
I did some looking around Googlin' and didn't see any articles on where Sen Murkowski stands on this prospective closure. Any one know? She was for opening up the ANWAR to drilling.

13-Apr-21
It's ANWR, not ANWAR.

This just came up in the last week, not sure she has a stance that will matter a whole lot. Our Governor on the other hand is in the process of suing the FSB for locking up land in Unit 13 this past fall.

13-Apr-21
Should I join the BHa bow to fight for my right to access public land or????? Remember this the next time you go to pint night, download a meateater podcast or buy a nose button. Another one bites the dust old son

13-Apr-21
Exactly DNEWER... I will be surprised if they make public their stance on this. I do know that Cal from MeatEater was/is interested in discussing this very soon, maybe he will.

13-Apr-21
This is a lose/lose for Murkowksi to take a stance on. She depends on votes from rural socially conservative natives and fiscally conservative non-natives on the road system to be elected. She loses votes from one of those blocks either way she goes.

13-Apr-21
And the wildlife will lose here. A shame.

13-Apr-21
Sounds like she is probably already on the way out the door. This is something totally worth fighting for!

13-Apr-21
The wildlife don't really get many extra dollars here, but the local economic hit is huge. This is a huge part of the local air taxi's yearly revenue besides the hotel, restaurants, local guide, etc.

13-Apr-21
The wildlife won’t be affected either way with this decision and that’s the point. Stopping less than 5% of the harvest and overruling state game management and laws in the process for a feel good anti white man sentiment. There are residents and non residents and further division for individual gain is wrong

13-Apr-21
Sky is blue, water is wet and we have the annual native corps lobbying the fed subsistence board to block non local users.

What is the best way to voice a real opposition to this? I have a feeling that the board wont give a rats ass about what anyone who isnt from a "marginalized" group thinks

13-Apr-21
Isn’t less than 5% a “marginalized group”?

14-Apr-21
Several units I have researched for moose hunting let subsistence hunters harvest well over half the moose for the entire unit. I have always thought in this day and time it was high. I know almost nothing about remote areas of Alaska so I am open but my guess is it is not as important as it is made out to be.

This new proposal seems ridiculous.

14-Apr-21
Nick Muche the public forum is April 23rd I believe? Just think of old cal and meat eater and the boys over at BHA fueled by Mt.Dew used their social media influence in reach TODAY to rally their mindless masses to make the phone call? They follow these guys like mindless zombies. The silence from these folks is becoming extremely deafening. Remember when Zumba shat on AR rifles ans got ran out of the business? This is the exact thing the BHA and the meateater organization built their platform on for the past 5 years. And they remain very visibly “silent”? Guess that Chernin ROI is worth getting exposed over.

14-Apr-21
From the BHA Facebook page (in a response to a comment posting this article:

"Our Alaska chapter and HQ staff have been engaged on this proposal--as they've been on similar proposals in the past. You can expect to hear more from us, and what our community members can do about this issue, very soon."

Let's see if that actually happens. I'm a BHA member, but pretty damn disappointed in what I've seen from the national organizaion over the past year.

I'd really be surprised if we don't see something from Rinella and Randy Newburg opposing this as well.

14-Apr-21
Rinella had better voice up. If he did there be an instant 1/2 million people against it. My guess is he will. I suspect he is against it about as much as anyone could be. And, for what he has become for a lot of hunters, should voice it. If I’m wrong about that I’ll never watch or support him again.

I think it’s a given where Randy will stand on it. He’s a no bs kind of guy. And, while diplomatic at times, makes no bones about his feelings when expressing them. He will be on the right side no doubt.

I have zero hope concerning the BHA. They are the Biggest hoax in hunting organizations at the national level.

14-Apr-21
BHA's statement:

Hunting caribou and moose in the Alaska backcountry embodies the challenge, adventure and solitude so many of us desire. Backcountry Hunters & Anglers has a history of working to protect the wild landscapes these critters inhabit and the science-based opportunities for hunting that go along with them. Under a new proposal, some of those opportunities are at risk. Late last week, a public hearing was announced on Temporary Wildlife Special Action Request WSA21-01, which would impact caribou and moose hunting in Units 23 and 26A in Northwest Alaska, home to the Western Arctic Caribou Herd. Submitted by the Northwest Subsistence Regional Advisory Council, the special action request, if adopted, would close these public lands to caribou and moose hunting to anyone who is not a federally qualified subsistence user. The justification for this requested closure is based on public testimony and anecdotal evidence that increased air traffic during the months of August and September is delaying caribou migration. BHA believes that management of our fish and game populations should be guided by current, peer-reviewed science. Presently there is no biological concern to merit this proposed closure, with no significant information available to support the assertion that air traffic has delayed caribou migration. Over the last two decades, subsistence harvest of caribou has remained high and the population remains above any objective targets that would warrant action. Based on this, we are asking the Federal Subsistence Board to reject this special action request. Our Alaska chapter is preparing to testify in opposition of this request at the public hearing scheduled on April 23. Learn more about the public meeting, caribou populations and historical harvest numbers in the area in question and sign BHA’s petition in support of management focused on cooperation, education, stewardship and ethical values.

14-Apr-21
If they carry their words through, good for us. I was wrong apparently. And, thankfully will eat those words.

14-Apr-21
I sincerely hope that BHA surprises me and engages their base to fight for this, I'm not holding my breath.

For the life of me I cannot understand how any organization that is for MANAGEMENT of the resource continues to support this nonsense. What has it been 3 years now....

1. The average citizen cannot comprehend the size of these units. Seriously the land mass is immense. 2. Subsistence hunters are not affected. Let me say this again Substance hunters are not affected. 3. The negative economic impact to those SMALL communities is substantial !!!. 4. The recreational hunting within those federal lands has about the same impact on the Caribou herds as a hang nail. 5. To continue to keep this much Federal land closed is criminal.

In closing: Given the current administration don't call Kotzebue looking for a bush flight for the next 3.5 years. Any questions refer back to #5.

14-Apr-21
Good to see BHA doing something for hunters.

Will be interesting to see what other organizations jump in.

Amazing how quickly all these attacks on hunting cropped up after this new administration took over.

If anyone can still remember, Trump opened more Federal lands for hunting and fishing than any President. Also didn’t sell any off...

15-Apr-21
These issues have been around long before the current administration. NR moose hunting was banned in 23 four-ish years ago and continues today. The NR caribou limit was reduced from 2 to 1 four-ish years ago. The NR caribou season was abolished for a short time 3ish years ago. The Noatak River No-fly zone was enacted 10-15 years ago to reduce NR pressure on the herd from the communities of Kotzebue and Noatak. This has nothing to do with national politics and everything to do with local politics.

16-Apr-21

Nick Muche's Link
Link to provide written comments.

10-May-21
Any current updates on the status of this proposal? I haven't seen anything posted anywhere?

Thanks!

• Sitka Gear