Z Barebow 19-Apr-21
ESP 19-Apr-21
Live2Hunt 19-Apr-21
Bowboy 19-Apr-21
Crow#2 19-Apr-21
Crow#2 19-Apr-21
Bandicooter 20-Apr-21
17-Apr-21
Anyone shoot fingers with compound bare bow and sights. Both ways but bare bow mostly is what interests me.Im getting back into compounds after a few years. I shot backtension release and scope and long stabelizer and all. Was wrapped up in 300 round and same hole accuracy.Ive ordered a hoyt altus 38 ata and dcm cams. I do have a backtension release and sight and rest but thinking about setting it up for bare bow for a change and learning and fun. People just stare at the bare bow guys when they are slapping arrows.Any tips.. stay with release and sights or go for it.

17-Apr-21
I’d say go for it. After that resume I don’t think 99.9% of the bow sitters could help you really, sounds like you got it going on bro. Can you post some pics of your set up? As always, shoot straight!

17-Apr-21
iwill when I get it.I will have to get on my ph and see if I can post factory pics. It is black all my accessories are going to have orange accents like scope and eliminnator buttons and stabelizer etc. unless i stay bare bow. I shot my recurves that way. To me aiming with the arrow tip no sights or anything and fingers and smacking the bullseye is awsome. I watch lancaster c;assics and the world olympic shooters alot.

17-Apr-21
I will probably be over here alot now since im getting back into compounds. So i may need help on posting pics and such.Ive gotten ok at it on leatherwall.

17-Apr-21

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
I shoot a 36" ATA Elite Pure with fingers, no sights (instinctive).

If my concentration is solid, I can shoot extremely well, out to 60 yards. I kill a few critters, and win a few 3D Shoots.

That being said, I have always shot this way (for nearly 50 years), never tried sights/ release.

Here's a 30 yard downhill shot, on a very good Day ;^)

17-Apr-21
I shoot fingers... never used a release. I love using my fingers ( sounds dirty) but it’s great feeling ( also sounds dirty)

17-Apr-21

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
35 yards

17-Apr-21
I shot compounds with fingers and a tab for 20 plus years. Switched to a release and accuracy is much improved.

17-Apr-21
I started compound bow and fingers no sights moons ago - Went from there to compound bow and sights(fingers) traditional equipment and finally compound bow with release and sights etc. etc. now back to traditional , just some thing about a string in your hand. Problem being nowadays it’s hard to find a good compound bow that is a good finger bow

17-Apr-21

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
My bow... Matthew’s ICON I actually own 5 of them.. all set exactly the same..

17-Apr-21
shug i like that icon

18-Apr-21
I started with a compound, sights and tab, back in the late 70's. Never used a release in my life. Switched to recurves and no sights in '97. Still shoot a tab.

Sometimes I think of putting sights on a 'curve, or buying a wheel-bow and shooting fingers, but as axle-to-axle lengths trend shorter, I'm not sure I can deal with the finger pinch. (My 'old' compounds were, like, 42" a-to-a.)

If I did buy a compound I'd be looking for an older 'target' model, I guess.

18-Apr-21
Dana the limbs have shrunk on today’s bows but don’t forget back then the wheels were tiny now look at a Mathews cam they make up for the shorter ATA’s.

18-Apr-21
38 should be ok.

18-Apr-21
I shot a finger tab and a simple sight or bare bow with a compound for 20 years and killed a bunch of critters out 40-50 yds consistently. It was a blast! Lots of fun memories. No peep sight, sometimes had a kisser button. When I was barebow I simply stared at the target, drew back and let fly, didn’t use point of aim, didn’t try to judge distance. It was amazing how your mind can work instinctively to become quite accurate and the flatter shooting of a compound compared to traditional bows was a big help. But, every so often if my concentration was off I totally blew the shot. And keeping fingers warm for a consistent shot was often a challenge and then ole target panic set in and crappy eyesight....

18-Apr-21
I shot a finger tab and a simple sight or bare bow with a compound for 20 years and killed a bunch of critters out 40-50 yds consistently. It was a blast! Lots of fun memories. No peep sight, sometimes had a kisser button. When I was barebow I simply stared at the target, drew back and let fly, didn’t use point of aim, didn’t try to judge distance. It was amazing how your mind can work instinctively to become quite accurate and the flatter shooting of a compound compared to traditional bows was a big help. But, every so often if my concentration was off I totally blew the shot. And keeping fingers warm for a consistent shot was often a challenge and then ole target panic set in and crappy eyesight....

18-Apr-21
Mike, I could have written your post.....it is my story also. I still struggle with choice of weapon.....so much more fun without a sight and just staring at the target spot but when i miss...my mind says "You could have made that shot with sights and release"

Joe

18-Apr-21
I shot a compound fingers no sites from the time I learned to shoot until 4 years ago. The only reason I quit is because I developed Young Onset Parkinson's Disease. My developing condition has taken that archery skill from me. I say go for it. It is rewarding to shoot a compound that way.

18-Apr-21
Not mention nothing to go wrong with peep and sights.

18-Apr-21
Elkmtngear, I've never seen anyone shoot barebow with a rest like that. That wouldn't work for most. It appears that it works well for you. I think one of the problems with shooting modern compounds with fingers is the increased let off. I think I shoot fingers better with more resistance. It is really easy to twist around a string on a high let off bow. I was shooting a PSE Omen with fingers but that was just dinking around.

19-Apr-21
I know that IBO has a 'compound fingers' class, not sure how many compete in it. I'd guess that some shoots you'd be in a field of one.

19-Apr-21
" I know that IBO has a 'compound fingers' class, not sure how many compete in it. I'd guess that some shoots you'd be in a field of one".

NFAA eliminated "bowhunter" class a couple years back (a very limited field...fingers, no "string walking", no sights). Even in the marked 3D Nationals, I'd only end up shooting against 4 or 5 other guys.

So, now I shoot against all the gappers, string walkers, etc., in "Barebow" class. Still a limited number of competitors, but much tougher to win, as an instinctive shooter.

19-Apr-21
I started out shooting compounds ( like most ) with a glove almost 50 years ago ( yikes). Then in the late 90s went with a release. It never felt quite right to me and after losing one then having one freeze up in December I went back to fingers. It's tuff to find newer compounds that I like or shoot well since majority are under 33". Got a few older bows that are 40" plus ata and bigger brace heights that shoot really good.

19-Apr-21
That is funny Jeff! I never tried a WB because I thought it would "block my view"! I shoot a "Franken Bow". It is a Hoyt Vantage (2011 or so) converted from e-wheel to Cam 1/2. It shoots better than I can. For the most part, I am a "gapper". I don't think about it too much. My target point is below target, (Until 50 yards, which is "Point on" for my set up) When I used to shoot indoors, I set up my target bow to shoot point on @ 20 yards. (1200 G arrows and reduced poundage) When I am shooting well, I can follow my arrow into the aiming point. It is magical when you have that going.

19-Apr-21
Since I’ve had my third shoulder surgery. I can’t shoot my sticks with out tears rolling down my face. I have been shooting a 2003 ultratech fingers , no sights with a trophy taker shakey hunter. I have been amazed at how accurate I am. Switching from sticks to this has been surprisingly seamless.

19-Apr-21
I shot a compound with fingers for many many years till I got a stick. But, I would drop the lower finger when I hit anchor and curl it to my palm only holding with 2 fingers.

19-Apr-21
I shot fingers when I started shooting bow's. Once they got below 40 inches axle to axle, I switched to the release. I also only held with two fingers below and taking the trigger finger so I didn't get any torque on the string. I was pretty accurate shooting that way.

19-Apr-21
You guts know PSE has a couple 40 Ata bows for 2021. There's some 38s out there too.

19-Apr-21
You guts know PSE has a couple 40 Ata bows for 2021. There's some 38s out there too.

20-Apr-21
I have numerous trophies from shooting a compound with fingers in archery leagues, both indoor and 3-D. That's because I was the only one shooting in that class. When I switched to a release, I improved greatly.....of course, I didn't win any more trophies.

• Sitka Gear