Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
lewis 23-Apr-21
Catscratch 23-Apr-21
lewis 23-Apr-21
Catscratch 23-Apr-21
lewis 23-Apr-21
23-Apr-21
I have standing winter rye in a few plots should I go ahead and nuke it and when it dies down go back and sow with buckwheat. I will then mow it down and I was wondering I have a 3 point tiller would it work by just lowering it down almost to the ground and go over the fields.After the buckwheat gets to a certain age then nuke it spread fall seeds over it and then knock it down.I’m having soil tests done as I do every year.What do you no tillers think I appreciate any thoughts you have Good luck Lewis

23-Apr-21
Exactly how I would do it Lewis. I don't use a tiller (just spray, broadcast, mow) but there are guys that do the low-set tiller thing. They call it minimal tillage. Seems to work for them if you want to do it or have soils that dictate it.

23-Apr-21
Thanks for thoughts I was curious about the tiller because I already own one I was thinking which is dangerous of just letting the tiller down maybe not touching the ground or I could just bushhog it which I did last year and it worked Good luck Lewis

23-Apr-21
What advantages does "mowing" with a tiller offer over a brushhog? I've always been an advocate of trying things. Give it a go if you want and let us know how it works for you.

23-Apr-21
I will at least on a couple of plots Lewis

• Sitka Gear