Treeline 30-Apr-21
WYOelker 30-Apr-21
Paul@thefort 30-Apr-21
INbowdude 02-May-21
Paul@thefort 02-May-21
26-Apr-21

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
THE MATURE TOM LOOKED LIKE A FIRE BREATHING DRAGON AS HE CLOSED IN ON ME. The only shield I had was the Ultimate Turkey Decoy attached to my bow and I could only hope that shield was enough to fend him off. I could feel the heat at five yards!

26-Apr-21
Number one and number two Tom turkeys were killed this season while I was hunting from inside a tent blind so I needed to get out side this time and stretch the legs and do some run and gunning with the bow. My new tool would be the Ultimate Predator Turkey Decoy: light weight, easy to attach, see through shooting window.

I have observed bow attached turkey decoys seem to work better once a tom has gathered a few hens and is willing to defend his little harem. So at O'dark thirty, turkey time, I was leaving the truck and heading out to first hear and then try to get close and to within bow range. I had hiked a mile before I heard the first gobble but the tree lined cannons and deep prairie ravines made it hard to pin point just where and how far the tom was from me. I did sight the tom and his 4 hens, far off, but was not able to get close as I had to climb down and then up the other side of these ravines. I blew on the goose flute a few times but had no return gobble response. Time to return to the truck and check out an another area a few miles away. Time: 9:00 am.

26-Apr-21
Tough to get them by running and gunning with a bow, but I think you'll get it done. : )

26-Apr-21
I arrive at the other spot by 9:15, parked the truck, grabbed the binoculars, climbed a small nearby hill, sat down and scanned the open, rolling pastures that lead up to the bluffs, a mile away. BINGO! three hens followed by a strutting tom, a mile distance. OK, what is the chance they will be in the area by the time I get there;, it will take at least an hour to get ready and then bike to the area. Yea, bike, I had my mountain bike on the trailer hitch rack. I better get going. Lets see, back pack, bow, Turkey decoy, lunch, water, calls,. I am ready, on the bike and heading out. I could ride most of the way on the two rut rancher/truck/cattle pasture road but as I got closer I decided to slow down and walk. I glassed the area and just saw the tom as he was following the hens from the pasture to one of the deep, washed out tree lined ravines. Time to move. I was getting close but needed to stop and wait to make sure where the birds were. I left the bike and sat next to a short pine tree and in the shade. Ten minutes later a crow flew over and called. What luck, the tom gobbled twice but was out of sight and still 400 yards away. Time to make another move and get closer. I crossed through another ravine, climbed up into the pasture, dropped the backpack, attached the decoy to the bow and moved closer, The tom was still unseen but just over the hill and in the ravine I had seen him go into earlier. As I topped the small hill and setup next to the only short pine tree in the area, I scanned the area in front of me. The pasture had scattered sage brush, clumps of grass to hide me. Time for action. I cackled on my box call and out stepped the tom, tail all fanned out and looking up hill and in my direction 75 yards distance. I moved the decoy some to attract his attention. That was all it took, the fire breathing dragon was heading my way and closing fast. Oh no, he also had fire in his eyes!!!! I might be in trouble. I placed an arrow on the rest, attached the release to the string loop, and placed tensions on the string. I raised the bow attached decoy and looked through the shooting port. He was coming and how only 30 yards away. Now 20 yards, now 15 yards. I drew back the arrow, the tom, only 5 yards away coming around a small cluster of sage bush. Yep, I could feel the heat! Time: 10:35 am

26-Apr-21
I released the arrow and the dragon exploded! Fire and brimstone, wings failing,, feet tumbling, feathers flying. And then all was quite. Time: 10:36!

26-Apr-21

Fun turkey season. Trifecta for sure.
Fun turkey season. Trifecta for sure.

26-Apr-21
Nice work Paul, jealous here!

26-Apr-21
Paul the dragonslayer!.....That story was too short lived, though! Those birds don’t stand a chance when you have a bow in YOUR hand. Maybe next time, you could wrestle him to the ground. At least then, he’d have a fighting chance! ;-)

Congrats on another fun hunt, Paul!

26-Apr-21
Nice job that’s awesome

26-Apr-21
Good work. Great story.

26-Apr-21
You make it look so like so much fun, and the pics you take are amazing.. Congrats

26-Apr-21
5 yards, talk about a rush! Way to hold it together Paul.

And at least you weren’t using one of those electric motorcycles I hear some others are using nowadays! LOL joke joke

26-Apr-21
Great season, Paul! Thanks for sharing it with us..

26-Apr-21
Love it !!

27-Apr-21
You are the Legend Paul! Congrats.

27-Apr-21
Great job! Now I wanna try that!

27-Apr-21
5 yards, talk about a rush! Way to hold it together Paul.

And at least you weren’t using one of those electric motorcycles I hear some others are using nowadays! LOL joke joke

27-Apr-21
Way to go Paul time for some fishing now?

27-Apr-21
Nice job Paul X 3! Must have been exciting to decoy a gobbler that close with no blind! You da man...again! Congrats!

27-Apr-21
Good for you Paul-------.

Congrats,

Robb

27-Apr-21
way to go Paul!

27-Apr-21
AWESOME

27-Apr-21
Way cool, Paul!!!

27-Apr-21
Congrats on another successful hunt Paul. You da man! Love it when it all comes together like that.

27-Apr-21
That was badass!

Way to go, Paul!

27-Apr-21
Awesome paul! Thanks for taking us along

27-Apr-21
Hell of a season Paul! Appreciate the story and congrats!

27-Apr-21
Way to go, again, Paul! You've really got it going!! I forgoed, forwent?? turkey hunting for beaver trapping at the shack this Spring.

27-Apr-21
Very Nice. Congrats!!!

27-Apr-21
Stellar Season, Paul, for sure. Congrats, well done.

27-Apr-21
Congrats!

27-Apr-21
Great job once again!

27-Apr-21
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your stories!

27-Apr-21
Paul, you make it sound like anybody can do it ! You are truly a Bowsite ICON !

27-Apr-21
Hey Guys, I just saved the World by killing that fire breathing dragon and had fun doing it. Now I know how the Action Heroes feel :). Hope all is well and thank for the comments. Paul

27-Apr-21
Way to go Paul. !! Fine work as usual....

27-Apr-21
Good thing your wife let you get that third tag or you wouldn't have been able to save the world ! ;)

28-Apr-21
Great pics and write ups Paul, congrats on another awesome Tom!

28-Apr-21
Paul, what a way with words you have. Loved the story! Sounds like a perfect season and 3 excellent toms.

28-Apr-21
Congratulations!! That's a great season

28-Apr-21
"like a fire breathing dragon.." great simile. Congrats on your season, Paul.

28-Apr-21
Those turkeys were doomed when they flew down from the roost. Congrats on a great season Paul.

28-Apr-21
Love it Paul! You are the MAN!

28-Apr-21
Thanks John, Randy and Randy, Actually I never thought I would pull that off but the stars were aligned correctly and that Tom surely cooperated. Fun stuff. Paul

30-Apr-21
Awesome story, Paul!

Now, the question is, were you able to rescue the princess?

Very enjoyable! Congratulations on the Trifecta!

30-Apr-21
Yeah I cant believe this story. I don't see you wearing a HECS suit. We all know that turkey wouldn't get close to you and your Magic EMF without a suit...

30-Apr-21
Hey Tavis, Ha, I left the "princess" at home, the same one that said, "hey if you want to buy another tag, go ahead".

WYOelker, I used lots of no scent soap, and then sprayed down with Scent a Way, and then washed all of the cloths in No Scent, ate a lot of Chlorophyll pills, no meat for a week. Must have helped :) :) :) :) :) :) What do you think????????????????????

02-May-21
Hey Paul, What state were you hunting the firebreathing, stiletto spured, feathered beast of death?

02-May-21
Hey Mike, Colorado, Kansas and Nebraska have been good to me.

• Sitka Gear