70lbdraw 30-Apr-21
BGbasbhat 30-Apr-21
jstephens61 30-Apr-21
jstephens61 30-Apr-21
wytex 01-May-21
DanaC 01-May-21
29-Apr-21
Hey all,

How do you carry around extra fuel in your truck?

I always have a 5 gallon plastic jug in my truck bed for emergencies, generators, etc.; but I'm tired of my whole truck bed smelling like gas...it doesn't leak, but expands/contracts and I just hate smelling up everything that I have back there...let alone try to sleep back there on a hunting trip...only to have everything smelly.

I thought of a couple old jerry cans mounted on the outside of my tailgate, but open to any of you creative guys with time on your hands!

Thanks for any tips!!

29-Apr-21
If you have a cap on your bed, try cracking one of the side windows and put the gas can there. The venturi effect will help keep the fumes low. I do that when road-tripping.

29-Apr-21
Yeah, I have a tonneau cover, so may try and work up a vent space with the weatherstripping. Sacrifice some dust for less smell.

Been thinking too of some sort of outside the tailgate bumper mount, but that'll take some redneckin...

29-Apr-21
Trailer hit could be used too. Like a cooler hauler type idea

29-Apr-21
Prius bro

29-Apr-21
Haha, thanks Dirty Mike. That thread on the off-road Prius had me thinking too!

29-Apr-21
Trailer hitch* darn phone

29-Apr-21
Yep. 3 gallons,, on the roof. Have you ever walked 6 miles in Nebraska? Never again......

30-Apr-21
On the roof? Assume in a roof rack?

30-Apr-21
Have you ever used that 5 gallons you carry around for a real "emergency"? Bringing it with you, to fill the generator you know you will be using, is not an "emergency". It is a planned use.

I would NEVER carry around any gas just incase I have an "emergency" and need it. For all the reasons you mentioned PLUS it's a fire risk.

If you know that an entire gas tank in your truck will be used without opportunity to refill - then I would bring it. But I would never let it sit in the truck box - especially closed up under a tonneau.

30-Apr-21
What about those deer racks people put in there reciever hitch? You could easily strap one down on there and gain a little more room for other equipment

30-Apr-21
Way too many rear end collisions to EVER keep a loaded gas can on the back. Isn't that why Ford quit making the Pinto???

30-Apr-21
billygoat, I think the Pinto issue was the separating filler neck and sharp things around the tank that would puncture it.

Buckwatcher, yes I use it for extra stuff and have had to use it in a couple jams for myself or others. I don't keep it back there all the time, but when i'm solo in the sticks, I do.

30-Apr-21

70lbdraw's Link
Here ya go.

30-Apr-21
Cool! Thanks 70lbdraw!

30-Apr-21
Most manufacturers don’t recommend put gas in a tank like that. I’ve got one in my Super Duty and it’s labeled “Diesel Only”. Extended the range of the truck over double. Sure is nice when pulling the camper.

30-Apr-21

jstephens61's embedded Photo
jstephens61's embedded Photo
40 gallon tank/toolbox

01-May-21
Take a piece of plastic, a baggie perhaps and put it over the pour hole then screw the cap over the plastic, smell will be gone, no fumes will exit the pour spout.

01-May-21
Put your gas can in a cheap plastic tote from Walmart. If you want, seal the tote with tape. (I'd want a small vent flap in warmer weather...)

• Sitka Gear