drycreek 30-Apr-21
buckhammer 30-Apr-21
'Ike' (Phone) 30-Apr-21
Bentstick54 30-Apr-21
Owl 30-Apr-21
29-Apr-21

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Seen this on a chat site was posted from Austin Texas. This pic of black fawn from this year. Comments say was also black one a couple years ago in the same area, and not to far distance was twins in same color phase.

BFLM. Black Fawn Lives Matter.

29-Apr-21
Is that an actual whitetail fawn? When do the fawns start dropping in Texas? Cute little thing....

29-Apr-21

According to the post but what does she know? Says she was taking a daily walk and came upon it. Someone posted about alot of exotics in Texas? But others posted seeing black whitetails in this area in years past. One posted a picture from last year says they don't stay as black as they get older.

30-Apr-21
Seems like melanistic deer are even more rare than albino deer.

30-Apr-21
Much rarer. I heard 6:1 is the Comparison. Gorgeous.

30-Apr-21
Wow

30-Apr-21
That is awesome!

30-Apr-21
cool

30-Apr-21
That is pretty neat.

30-Apr-21
Beautiful animal, thanks for sharing.

30-Apr-21
Millie and I had 2 melanistic fawns born in our front yard when we lived in Garden Ridge TX. They were a real treat to watch grow.

There are sections of Kendal, Comal and Hays County TX where they seem "almost" common.

Their "great" grandmother was darker than a normal whitetail, the fawn's mother was as dark as a hershey bar. The twins (we referred to as Cocoa and Expresso) were as dark as the photo posted.

As for when fawns begin dropping... the earliest we say them was May 1.

30-Apr-21
Freakn cool, thanks for sharing...

30-Apr-21
I don’t know about the albino to melano ratio, but in my lifetime I’ve seen two of each.

30-Apr-21
Did some ones Angus bull get loose last fall?

30-Apr-21
Very cool…

30-Apr-21
I saw a hunting show awhile back that was filmed in Texas and the landowner invited the show host down to hunt a chocolate whitetail buck he had seen on the ranch. I don’t remember if he shot it or not.

30-Apr-21
"BFLM. Black Fawn Lives Matter." Thanks for spelling that out for us. :)

Just about every hunter I know has seen a piebald. Even some have seen albinos. I don't know 1 that has encountered a melanistic deer.

• Sitka Gear