DL 30-Apr-21
DL 30-Apr-21
JL 30-Apr-21
kscowboy 01-May-21
BOWNBIRDHNTR 01-May-21
krieger 01-May-21
Kodiak 01-May-21
30-Apr-21
I have posted a bit on the Turkey pole about my Occelated Turkey hunt. I was joined down here by two other hunters. One from Mississippi and one from Georgia. We were hunting in Compeche in the Yucatán peninsula with Tan Kab outfitters. Other than the heat I give it 5 stars but this is my first out of country hunt. Camp was in the jungle. This isn’t a rainforest type jungle. Right now it’s hot and dry. This is also the most difficult time to hunt them. The other fellas said these birds make Eastern Turkey hunting seem easy. There are no strutting birds here. We are in a camo net blind that they brush in heavily with a few open spots in the brush. This time of year it’s an almost impossibility to get a brush free clear spot for archery. A few months earlier they are in flocks and can be seen in open areas. They also have Brocket deer, jungle whitetails, Currasow which are larger than the turkeys. This is ancient Mayan country. Driving to hunting spots we were going up a small hill and off to my right there was the top of a stairway and a wall. It’s Mayan ruins that have never been uncovered. Who knows what was under neath us?

30-Apr-21

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
The outfitter made all the arrangements to pick us up at the airport to a hotel, driving us to the camp, staying there, driving us back to get Covid tested, etc. We flew from Houston to Merida. Found out I always need a pen to fill out pre landing paperwork. Customs was a breeze. Got Covid tested today and heading home tomorrow. I’ll post some pictures and write more when I’m home.

30-Apr-21

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo

30-Apr-21
Congrats....beautiful bird!

01-May-21
This definitely deserves its own thread. Thank you, congrats, and we look forward to the story and pics. Neat trip.

01-May-21
This looks like a fun turkey hunt. Looking forward to learning more about it and seeing more pictures. Congrats on a beautiful bird!

01-May-21
This is a hunt I want to do someday, what a stunning bird! Please give us a more thorough report when you have time.

01-May-21

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Wow, I had no idea they looked like that.

• Sitka Gear