shakey 05-May-21
DanaC 05-May-21
Scoot 05-May-21
WV Mountaineer 05-May-21
KSflatlander 07-May-21
huntabsarokee 07-May-21
Scoot 07-May-21
03-May-21
I'm planning on getting a good pack for Ryan before we head out on his first elk hunt this September. I'm pretty well settled on a Seek Outside Revolution frame (I'm looking for a used one with a medium belt, so if anyone sees a used one for sale, please let me know). My question is the bag... I'm thinking something between about 4000 and 5500 in size. I'm not married to any one particular brand. I would like to keep cost relatively low, but I'll pay a bit for a good product. To me the frame is what does the lion's share of the work in a pack system and the pack comes down to size and preference (so long as it's durable and relatively quiet). I'm happy to consider used or new.

So: 1) 4000-5500 (give or take), 2) something with more pockets than just a big bag (Kifaru Highcamp), but maybe not as modular as my Kifaru Nomad, 3) something that is relatively durable, 4) something that won't break the bank.

Suggestions please!

03-May-21
Sounds like your are looking for a backpack for packing in and out a week of essentials then switching to a day pack?

03-May-21
Look at the outdoorsman line or Kifaru hoodlem. Never need another if you buy either of those

03-May-21
How old is your son? Reason I ask is 4000-5500 is a lot of pack if he is young.

03-May-21
KS, yes- exactly that.

Thanks WI- I'll look at them.

JohnMC, he's 16. He's 6' tall and weighs about 150. He's athletic and in great shape. The pack I described above maybe a little more pack then he needs right now but I think it would be fine and something he could your use for many years to come.

03-May-21
If he is 16 and size of a grown man I agree. I was thinking more along the lines if he was 12 and 5' and 90 pounds that would be a lot of pack. One bit of advise I might give you is put a much of rocks in bottom so that maybe you can keep up!

03-May-21
You might look at Gregory or Osprey if you want to keep the price low. I have 65 Gregory. You can find them on sale for <$200. They are not designed for hunting or meat packing but are time tested by backpackers. Just a thought.

03-May-21
John, that's an excellent suggestion! :)

Thanks KS- I'll think about that too. Lots of great suggestions and offers coming. Thank you all!

03-May-21
I’ve got a Kuiu Icon Pro he can use Scoot. 1850 bag could pack in gear on the load shelf and then use it as a day pack after.

03-May-21
Another great offer! You guys are the best! Thanks Justin. I have lots of options-- let me think about this for a bit.

I am humbled by all the gracious and generous offers.

03-May-21
"I’ve got a Kuiu Icon Pro he can use Scoot. 1850 bag could pack in gear on the load shelf and then use it as a day pack after."

Bowsiters really are the best!!

03-May-21
I understand the new things look pretty good, but............... I have a 45 year old Kelty external frame backpack that has seen many miles on many trips, including several week long trips. It has packed out several elk, a mtn goat and a bighorn sheep. I have never been interested in the new stuff since it has served me well. Likely under $50 on ebay. I take a small day pack for hunting once the destination is reached. Hope your trip is fun and the country beautiful.

04-May-21
Eberlestock F1 tall mainframe, then add bags to fit the hunt. Got mine put together and love it.

05-May-21
My son matches your sons description, I bought him the EXO pack. Pricey but figured he’s got plenty of years of hunting ahead of him.

05-May-21
Are there any backpacking/hiking shops in your area? Might be worth a visit, as they can advise on proper fit etc.

05-May-21
Thanks again everyone. No backpack specific places near me, Dana (that I know of).

Shakey, I narrowed the choices down to SO, Kifaru, or Exo. I tried my buddy's SO Revolution frame and I really like it. I'd like to get one for him that I can play with too. So... looking for a used SO Revolution frame.

05-May-21
You don’t see many SO frames used for sale. I think that says a lot about them. I doubt they sell as many as Kifaru, exo, mystery ranch, etc.... But, what they do sell makes for happy customers.

07-May-21

KSflatlander's Link
Scoot- KUIU us having a 25% sale on packs. Just FYI.

07-May-21
You may want to keep an eye on the GEAR SWAP section from Backpacking Light. There was use SO Divide on there the other day that sold for $100. It was a 120 liters. I was going to mention it to you but sold quick.

07-May-21
Got it- thanks guys

• Sitka Gear