Muddyboots 03-May-21
jstephens61 04-May-21
shakey 05-May-21
DanaC 05-May-21
WV Mountaineer 05-May-21
KSflatlander 07-May-21
huntabsarokee 07-May-21
03-May-21
Sounds like your are looking for a backpack for packing in and out a week of essentials then switching to a day pack?

03-May-21
Look at the outdoorsman line or Kifaru hoodlem. Never need another if you buy either of those

03-May-21
How old is your son? Reason I ask is 4000-5500 is a lot of pack if he is young.

03-May-21
If he is 16 and size of a grown man I agree. I was thinking more along the lines if he was 12 and 5' and 90 pounds that would be a lot of pack. One bit of advise I might give you is put a much of rocks in bottom so that maybe you can keep up!

03-May-21
You might look at Gregory or Osprey if you want to keep the price low. I have 65 Gregory. You can find them on sale for <$200. They are not designed for hunting or meat packing but are time tested by backpackers. Just a thought.

03-May-21
I’ve got a Kuiu Icon Pro he can use Scoot. 1850 bag could pack in gear on the load shelf and then use it as a day pack after.

03-May-21
"I’ve got a Kuiu Icon Pro he can use Scoot. 1850 bag could pack in gear on the load shelf and then use it as a day pack after."

Bowsiters really are the best!!

03-May-21
I understand the new things look pretty good, but............... I have a 45 year old Kelty external frame backpack that has seen many miles on many trips, including several week long trips. It has packed out several elk, a mtn goat and a bighorn sheep. I have never been interested in the new stuff since it has served me well. Likely under $50 on ebay. I take a small day pack for hunting once the destination is reached. Hope your trip is fun and the country beautiful.

04-May-21
Eberlestock F1 tall mainframe, then add bags to fit the hunt. Got mine put together and love it.

05-May-21
My son matches your sons description, I bought him the EXO pack. Pricey but figured he’s got plenty of years of hunting ahead of him.

05-May-21
Are there any backpacking/hiking shops in your area? Might be worth a visit, as they can advise on proper fit etc.

05-May-21
You don’t see many SO frames used for sale. I think that says a lot about them. I doubt they sell as many as Kifaru, exo, mystery ranch, etc.... But, what they do sell makes for happy customers.

07-May-21

KSflatlander's Link
Scoot- KUIU us having a 25% sale on packs. Just FYI.

07-May-21
You may want to keep an eye on the GEAR SWAP section from Backpacking Light. There was use SO Divide on there the other day that sold for $100. It was a 120 liters. I was going to mention it to you but sold quick.

• Sitka Gear