RK 11-May-21
Potro 11-May-21
Gil 11-May-21
RK 11-May-21
Firehuntfish 18-May-21
Potro 19-May-21
Gil 21-May-21
05-May-21
Hi, we have booked a hunt in South Africa in August this year, have any of guys know the flying situation to Joburg? Is there any problem coming to Joburg from US, Europe, Brazil or Turkey? I am in the process to buying the plane tickets and so far seems to confuse

05-May-21
Good luck with the flights! We’ve been canceled by Delta twice now, as they keep bumping back the dates that they’ll start them again. Qatar airlines does have some flights, but cheapest we’ve found is about $2k. Way back when we booked with Delta, the first time, we were paying about $1000.

05-May-21
And flying from Mexico is even worst. Thanks James

05-May-21
As recommended by Ken Moody, Lufthansa seems to be the best option available now. I had my British Airlines flight canceled and had to rebook with only a month to spare. From Newark, was about $1100

05-May-21
I'm booked on Delta. They haven't bumped me yet?

05-May-21
I think Lufthansa or Swiss air I've been thinking about going over in August and those two are in front of the pack so far

05-May-21
Im booked united August 28,

05-May-21
I think I would carefully research travel issues prior to booking an overseas hunt while a worldwide pandemic is going on.

05-May-21
Bake, we were booked for summer 2020 which obviously was canceled. We then booked for June of this year, which Delta canceled all flights until end of July, I believe they told us. We are kind of in limbo now.....paid a deposit a year ago, but finding the time to get away from work for two weeks and not get screwed on flights is getting ridiculous! We literally booked our safari right before all this crap started, impeccable timing!

05-May-21
I'm on United in July and so far nothing has changed. The outfit has all the covid tests lined up for returning home. Will see how it goes

05-May-21
My wife and I are still booked on Delta this July for South Africa. Have not heard otherwise. We have even talked with reservation agents twice to put us back on our original flight out of Chicago to Atlanta when the computer system rebooked us on a later flight. We always like a little more sit time on connecting flights just in case there are weather delays or mechanical problems with the aircraft.

05-May-21
As I told Potro, you must have a Covid test within 72 hours before leaving on your flight. Also, you will need another Covid test 72 hours before flying back to the U.S. Since I am taking a rifle, I have to fly from Denver to Frankfurt, then a flight to Windhoek. After that hunt I have to get another Covid test before flying to Johannesburg for another hunt. Then, another Covid test within 72 hours before flying back to the U.S. If you are taking a firearm, you might contact TWG.COM or Traveling With Guns. That is what they do to make sure you have no trouble. Lot's of paperwork to submit if traveling with a firearm. Got both Covid shots but still have to have the tests.

05-May-21

05-May-21
Yea Bighorn. Traveling with firearms is a pain in the ass. I quit years ago. To easy to use what is available at location. Have used some awesome firearms through the years

Same thing as we do with our clients coming to hunt with us We have cool stuff and unless it's your fathers or grandfathers gun it does not matter much what you shoot the stuff with

Shooting a $150,000 Holland is good stuff whether you own it or not.

06-May-21
I’m sitting in Frankfurt now. Departing for Johannesburg later this evening. We have a day room at the MyCloud hotel at gate Z25. It’s small but fine to rest. Trip was fine, no problems other than waiting in line at check in at Dulles while passengers were screened. For Germany, you need a negative test within 48 hours of arrival. For SA it’s currently 72 before initial flight. That’s a tight window for Germany. No issues so far with my firearm.

06-May-21
Thanks guys. Think that I have to wait a little bofe buying my tickets. As late as we buy as better we will be but also the price could go up. I had my 2 vaccine shoots but seems like we must get the test regardless

08-May-21
I heard or red somewhere that broadheads and pocket knives are banned in the Netherlands even if just passing on a connecting flight . Make sure what you take is legal in the places you land, even if is just to catch another flight.

09-May-21
Make sure you have a negative PCR test within 72 hours. Entry into SA was easy for us. Checked test, checked temperature, that was it.

09-May-21
My buddy leaves Tuesday his flight price dropped to $635 crazy cheap

09-May-21
Bill, do you know the itinerary details.

10-May-21
My flight with Delta has been changed a few times (a few hours here and there), but now they've actually changed the departure date and shortened my trip in doing so! That seems kind of messed up.

10-May-21
My wife and I are heading to South Africa July 10th. We were originally scheduled on Delta from Chicago O’hare to Atlanta, then on to Johannesburg. Found out yesterday that the non-stop flights to Johannesburg and then back to Atlanta had been canceled. Called Delta reservation today and after waiting 4 1/2 hours in queue, was finally able to get our refund for the trip. The cancellation is due to retiring the Boeing 777 and replacing it with the Airbus 350 which they haven’t got it one line yet for South Africa. With this, all their flights are now going through Amsterdam on KLM. I eventually rebooked us on Qatar Airways through Doha to Joburg.

11-May-21
I flew Qatar Airways in early April from Anchorage - Seattle - Doha - Jo'burg. Bought the ticket about 5 weeks out and it was super cheap at that time ($795 rd), and I earned enough Alaska Air miles for an in-state trip. Very happy with airline and Covid testing / procedures were no big deal. Testing for your return is easier and faster than in USA.

11-May-21
Went to SA in 2019. At that time we had a direct flight from ATL with Delta. Nice not having to layover somewhere. I do not think this is offered anymore as I can not find the flight.

11-May-21
Frontier, It is still offered. However, over the past few days, they have apparently begun canceling some of the days it is offered (used to be one flight per day). Try a few different dates and you should be able to find it. Delta's search engine sucks if you're looking for a particular flight like that. I'd be happy to try to find one for you if you want to PM me the approximate dates you wish to fly. There is not "technically" a non-stop back from Jberg to Atlanta anymore. Apparently, the new plane they are using doesn't have the cruising range when flying west out of Joberg due to the high elevation, and so there is a short refueling stop in the lower elevation of Cape Town to top-off the tanks. But it does fly direct from Atlanta to Jberg going east.

11-May-21
I was able to confirm what yeager mentioned above. Over the weekend Delta did indeed cancel all the direct from Atlanta to Jberg flights through the end of July and changed from daily flights to three days per week flights on the direct flights scheduled after July. That explains why the flight dates were changed on my scheduled flight, because there is no longer a flight on that date. This is the 6th time they have cancelled that direct route (and pushed back the start date when it will return) since October, so there's a chance it could occur again and cancel August flights... It might be safer to book something else rather than risk a last-minute flight cancellation?

11-May-21
I recommend booking your flights through a reputable international travel agent. I've been to Africa 4 times. Three out of 4 times either in Africa or the U.S. flights were either severely delayed or cancelled and my travel agent was able to get me rebooked on other flights with just one phone call to her.

11-May-21
Yep, Delta just sent me notice my itinerary doesn't work. I haven't had a chance to call them yet. I'll try here shortly.

11-May-21
When I called Delta the other day, the recording time said the hold would be an estimated 2.5 hours, or they could call me back when it's my turn. More than 12 hours later, they finally called. And this was before this last change, so plan on calling EARLY in the day!

11-May-21
I guess I need an agent. . . I've got no time for this *(^&(*

11-May-21
Gravy Travel Boerne Texas 800 299-8558 210 698-2711

Decades of sending hunters to Africa

11-May-21
ja, ja, ja, ja this stupid covid has destroy our hunting plants for 2 years now

11-May-21
Based on my experience and observations, this is not the time to "Buy American."

11-May-21
That was GRACY travel.

They have an office in Texas and at the JoBerg airport

18-May-21
Hi Folks,

Just FYI, I ran some random dates through Qatar Airways for June, July, and August 2021... Right now the average round trip fare in coach is going for $1,744 for dates in June and July... The average for August is $1,170 round trip. All flights originate in DFW with a 3-hour layover in Doha, then on to JNB.

These costs are just about exactly what Delta was charging for the same time frame pre-covid, booking 10 months in advance. Previously, Qatar was offering round trips for nearly half of that. Earlier in the year, I saw round trips as low as $600. Obviously, the cost is going up since they are currently the most convenient, reliable deal available going to Jo'burg.

19-May-21
Thanks Dan for your info. After checking all the options from Mexico, your is the best so far for us. We just need to take a fly to DFW from Mexico City and then do the connection with Qatar The total trip will be around $1450

21-May-21
I flew Qatar Airways to Jo'burg in early April for $795 roundtrip from Anchorage, Alaska. The Qatar flights were 25 - 30 % full. I don't know how much money they lost on those routes at that time, but I'm sure its not sustainable. Its not all bad that rates are going up - at least the plane will fly if they make money.

• Sitka Gear