SIP 17-May-21
Bou'bound 18-May-21
Yellowcat53 20-May-21
4nolz@work 20-May-21
stealthycat 21-May-21
Yellowcat53 21-May-21
12-May-21

Rut Nut's Link
One of my buddies sent me this link. Had no idea you could do this. Not for me though- I ain't getting that close to one..................................I'll stick to the .410 method! ;-)

12-May-21
No idea either, but I will take his word for t.

12-May-21
I catch snakes that way, but never a rattlesnake. That takes some balls!

12-May-21
Balls that used to be brains but converted

12-May-21
That’s real bad ass and all...until he gets bitten by a rattlesnake. That’s no joke. I agree with SIP!!!

12-May-21
I used to kill chicken snakes on the farm by popping them like a whip, and it kills them graveyard dead. My daddy could pop their heads off, but I never could as a kid. You can feel and hear the vertebrae separating and they are as limp as a rope afterwards. I’d never try that with a venomous snake though, it’s just asking to be bit. Rattlers are relatively docile compared to some others, notably copperheads and cottonmouths. I don’t think you’d be very safe picking a cottonmouth up by his tail. I know I won’t volunteer to find out !

12-May-21
No thanks, Mr. Ruger will kill it dead also.

12-May-21

BGbasbhat's embedded Photo
BGbasbhat's embedded Photo
Eh, i'll use my 30yd pin. It works at 3 yards too. This guy was creeping up on me shooting one day.

12-May-21
Ummm, no, not getting close enough to step on it

12-May-21
What's the point? It's not in his yard leave it alone what a dipshit.

12-May-21
No F’n way.

12-May-21
Why kill it anyway, snakes eat a lot of rats and mice. Rattlers near the house get relocated not killed.

12-May-21
Friend of mine used to go on rattle snake hunts. He was handling a large one and was under the influence of a lot of alcohol. He got bit on his forearm. He was life flighted to a large hospital in Wichita. They opened up his arm from his shoulder to wrist. He almost lost the arm, but recovered. Yes he’s a dumb ass. I prefer a shotgun for killing them, and will kill 100% of them that I come across.

12-May-21
One of my buddies sent me this link. Had no idea you could do this. Not for me though- I ain't getting that close to one......again..................................I'll stick to the .410 method! ;-) Fixed it for ya. I'm thinking your buddy wanted to see if you would faint.:)

12-May-21
LOL! : )

12-May-21
Best way to cook one?

12-May-21
I come across them every once in a while. Never felted the need to kill them. Like others have stated if it's by the house it get's moved. If I'm correct if you move them out of their home range, it's a good possibility they won't survive ???????

12-May-21
What could be worse? It ain't like you have friends that put snakes in your tent !! :)

12-May-21
I have seen that done with non poisonous snakes. I would not try it myself. I have had two doges bitten by rattlesnakes. Poisonous snakes do not get a pass from me.

12-May-21
“Interesting” is not the word I would use

12-May-21
NBcole14, skin and dress, cut in sections, soak in lighly salted water, bread and deep fry like fish

I'm in the leavethem alone camp. They're great mousers and will avoid humans and pets if given the chance

12-May-21
LOL Ed! But I'm pretty well conditioned by now.............................between that, and the guy that sends me gifs of attacking snakes by text message.......................................(different guy)

12-May-21
I think it would just be better to walk on by leave the snake alone stay healthy go on about your day enjoy being out in the wilderness

12-May-21
Yeah, no thanks! I can’t even stand those little black water snakes. You hold a snake up to me and watch me turn into a little screaming girl!

12-May-21
I think I'll pass thank you.......

12-May-21
Rut gets a free pass from me on this one. I can see why you may not like em:)

I'm in the just walk around camp unless your going to eat them.

12-May-21
Venomous snakes should be eradicated from the earth.

12-May-21
A definite "Nope" for me.

I'm a live and let live guy and I don't want to be bitten by anything, ever. Not small dogs, spiders (was bitten by a Brown Recluse when I was a kid), snakes, ticks, mosquitoes, nothing....ever. I make my best effort to leave "bitey" things alone.

12-May-21
Pop-r, what about females ? You don’t give them a pass ? ;-)

12-May-21
Eat them skin them, why not? My Grandma talked about a ranch hand they had in Oklahoma that always killed rattlers this way. He was really good at it and killed hundreds if not thousands on the ranch. She said the guy would snap the head clean off.

Allowed for faster cleaning, skinning etc.

12-May-21
I'm as squeamish about snakes as the next guy. But unless it causes me distress or such I'm going to let it live. I've encountered a number of snakes over the years, poisonous and otherwise, they didn't bother me...I didn't bother them.

12-May-21
They die on my place, I have a neighbor who lost a good dog to a rattlesnake bite. Plus, kids occasionally running around the property. One of my co-workers was bitten a few years back as well, went through about a month of Hell.

That being said, I'm not even considering this method, lol ! A shovel works well.

Haven't noticed as many, since we started seeing Kingsnakes around.

12-May-21
Thanks Rick! ;-)

I’ve never really liked snakes, but always left them alone. My whole attitude changed on July 19, 2018! I’m still dealing with the after effects and probably always will, to some degree. Timber Rattlers won’t get a “pass” from now on!

12-May-21
I hated that

No reason to kill that snake, NONE

12-May-21
Stealthy. I agree. Just walk on by

Same thing can be said for a lot of animals that are killed. Better not go there though.

12-May-21

Pocoloco's embedded Photo
Pocoloco's embedded Photo
He should try that size rattler LOL. I am about 6 foot 4. Weighted arround 12-14 pounds.

12-May-21
One thing to kill one in your yard if you have kids and dogs but out in the wild like that just stupid. I’ve had many snakes as pets growing up nothing wrong with them.

12-May-21
Nice snake. Worth about $200 alive. ????

12-May-21
Kill. Every. One.

13-May-21
Wow, bro kills small rattlesnake that's in the boonies harming nobody, what a man...

13-May-21
Haha. What a bunch cry babies here... Sounds like a bleeding heart liberal peta support group!

You do realize guys actually hunt them? That people actually eat them and use their skins? How are they any different than say a coyote or a fox?

Lastly we have no idea, maybe this was 30 yards from his camp? Or maybe he was hired by a rancher who had been losing cattle to snake bites? I watched 2 cows die last year on my antelope hunt. Both smacked by snakes...

Everyone making a bunch of assumptions with no real background at all.

13-May-21
Yeah, i dont think many are killed to make the person feel like a man. But change small rattlesnake to “insert game animal here” and that statement is kinda...well i dont wanna call names so we will say anti-like?

13-May-21
FACT: The USDA's Cattle Death Loss report has logged no deaths from snakes in more than two decades. Anecdotally, ranchers report that snakes are not a threat to livestock, who usually recover from snakebites, even without treatment.

13-May-21
I have seen videos of guys killing snakes like that before. The rattle snake will get lead poisoning if it is on my property. If it is out in the wilderness it will live another day.

13-May-21
I suppose next you guys will say we should not kill an animal just to use it's fur, or to use it's meat, or they are too overpopulated, or puncture a fishes mouth with a hook, etc. We are part of the animal world if you like it or not. We are more humane than the animals below us, but we were meant to be in this chain. Just a thought for the anti sentiments I read on this thread.

13-May-21
Wyoelker and SIP- I bet their attitude changes if they spent 9 days in the hospital, 6 weeks off work trying to walk again with a walker/crutches/ cane and spending thousands of $$’s in out-of-pocket expenses! ;-)

13-May-21
WYOelker, I don't kill them because I don't want to and feel no need to. I also don't shoot coyotes even though there's a season 365. For me I can't just shoot or kill something just to kill it, unless I have a reason. In my state you have to have a permit and there's a season on rattlers. Yet folks kill them with out a permit or in season. Is that poaching?? On my properties I have friends that hunt, they can shoot anything (but) they want and long as they have a permit and in season. Coyote can be hunted 365, they all know that come April 1 to September 1 if they shoot a coyote there's done hunting on my place. Think about the only reason most folks hate coyotes, but don't hate bobcats, fox, or any other predator that can and do kill deer. Do I really fall into your bleeding heart liberal peta support group? My point is I just don't see a need to just kill something just to kill it. If there's a reason I don't have a problem, I just see/hear of folks killing every snake they see.

13-May-21
Rut nut, I know we are friends but I don't feel the need to kill them or to kill dogs, even though one put me in the hospital for 5 days. Yes it was not even close to what you went through.

13-May-21
I'm a surprised there is not more negative after reading the negative comments about the trapping thread previously on this sit. An Animal in a trap is offensive but smashing a snakes head into rocks is not????

13-May-21
My friend did that once,Wild! You won’t ever see me that close to one

13-May-21

jdee's embedded Photo
jdee's embedded Photo
I kill every rattle snake I see so they don’t make it to the house. This one showed up right after O’l grandma left the back porch. .357 snake shot.

13-May-21
I’ve killed two in recent years that were in my dog kennel and cornered by my German Wirehair. All my dogs get snake aversion training and it’s kept them from getting bit multiple times. I attempted to kill both with a rake, tines down, and missed them with the tines after several attempts. Both snakes came after me and I killed them with the flat side of the rake. Seems I’m a slow learner... Our Great Basin Rattle snakes are very docile, but a 40” snake in the dog run is too close.

If they aren’t near my property and aren’t on a trial and in the way of dogs or horses they get a pass all the time.

13-May-21

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Ed- I don;t expect you to agree with me just because we're friends. And I really don;t care what others do. I didn;t post this to get into a debate on KILL OR NO KILL snakes(although I guess I should have expected it might go this direction) I know there is a season in PA and you need a permit, but after what I went thru I will shoot every one I come across(and not apologize for it!) If that makes me a poacher, so be it. If anybody questions me about it, I will show them my leg and what I am dealing with every day, my medical bills and some of these pictures! ;-)

13-May-21

Lewis 's embedded Photo
Lewis 's embedded Photo
This little guy was in full strike and got met by a bush ax with an eighteen handle on an island on the other side of the intercostal waterway.This took place in the 70s.Now he sits on my fly tying and reloading bench.Good luck Lewis

13-May-21
Is that a double fanged snake Lewis?

13-May-21
Yes it is

13-May-21
Fact: I personally saw 2 cows die last year on my antelope season in unit 57. Rancher said he has a handful every year. I can give the Locations of the cows. the one I saw get bit from my blind as she was trying to get water, snake never buzzed smacked her in the face just under the her right eye. She went about 60 yards was sick. I called the rancher told he he drove out from town and attempted to doctor her but she never got up again. When she fell she fell into a small ditch and we just couldn't get her back out and she didn't have the strength. The other one was dead when we found her, but she had very clear and distinct marks on her nose. She got hit in the face as well...

I would agree it is rare but it does happen...

13-May-21
Fact: Of the hundred or so cattle guys I know, not a single one of them would dream of calling the USDA to report a dead cow from any reason.

I've seen pictures of large empty needle casings stuck into horses noses that got bit on the nose by rattlers. No thanks

Thankfully I've never run into too many wild poisonous snakes. The few I've run into have been at the house.

I killed a small cottonmouth a couple weeks ago in my driveway. My 8 year old daughter ran over it with her bike, then I did as well. I saw it though, and then made it a good snake. I have a wife, an 8 year old, and 2 dogs in the yard constantly. I kill them without remorse or hesitation.

13-May-21
Like many stated there’s absolutely no reason to kill that snake. They serve an important role in nature. If you find one in your house or in a dangerous situation sure by all means protect yourself.

This was just showboating!

13-May-21
Bou and Spike answered for me. Well said guys. Actually, Rupe too. Totally agree with you guys.

14-May-21
Rut Nut I just wait for them to latch onto your leg then I let them have it. Much safer. For me anyway. Lol

14-May-21
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID.

TMBB

14-May-21
LMBO Mule! I always said if that snake woulda held on, I probably would have freaked out and shot my damn leg off trying to kill it! ;-)

14-May-21
can we be honest for a bit? this guy wasn't hunting snakes, this snake wasn't a threat to anyone anywhere this guy killed the snake just for the sake of killing it that's not conservations, its not love of wildlife, the killing really has zero purpose

Snakes are a good healthy part of the ecosystem, without them we'd be overrun with rats and mice and rodents etc. Killing one for giggles makes me sick to my stomach and shows grand ignorance IMO. Be educated, don't be someone who mindlessly goes around killing things just because.

we can do better than that as sportsman

14-May-21
Lots of things out there to kill rats n mice. I aint goin to the middle of nowhere that is miles and miles from where ppl live/recreate and killin a snake. But anywhere i frequent or recreate, a poisonous snake i come across is dying. Its not a macho thing, its not a show off thing, it may be ignorant to you but thats for you to fret over, not me. Maybe I think its ignorant to NOT kill a poisonous snake where someone may cone across it and be bitten, but i wont say i can prove im right and your wrong. I dont feel like less of a sportsman because of it. Its just one of those things not everybody will see eye to eye on. Im cool with you doing you

14-May-21
Some of you need to think twice before spouting off about how killing snakes isn’t being a good conservationist or sportsman. The same argument can easily be used for mountain lion, black bear, grizzly, bobcat, fox, wolf, or any other fur bearer.

I have never had a problem with anyone killing snakes or hunting/trapping any animal they choose to.

14-May-21
Yeah, seems like another example of “virtue signaling” to me SIP- I’m with you 100%!

14-May-21
“ In my state you have to have a permit and there's a season on rattlers. Yet folks kill them with out a permit or in season. Is that poaching??”

I’m going to assume that that is a purely rhetorical question.

No question that what RutNut went through was a horror show... but isn’t part of the reason that we do all of this just that we would like to get out of our every day perfectly safe, routine right and remind ourselves that we are capable of taking care of ourselves in circumstances under which some care must actually be taken? And yes, that is paraphrasing John Geirach. If you want a guaranteed safe environment, stay home. And for God’s sake whatever you do DO NOT DRIVE to your destinations.

“ Some of you need to think twice before spouting off about how killing snakes isn’t being a good conservationist or sportsman. The same argument can easily be used for mountain lion, black bear, grizzly, bobcat, fox, wolf, or any other fur bearer.”

No, it really can’t, because furbearers are taken for their furs. Bears and mountain lions are generally pretty tasty and the furs are just a bonus. Some people say mountain lion is better than any other wild meat. I hope to test that someday myself, but I’m willing to take their word for it.

If a non-threatened/abundant species is taken for its meat or its hide or because it is a threat to human safety or someone’s ability to make a living, there is absolutely zero rational reason not to take it.

In that video clip, Our Hero gave absolutely no reason for killing that snake other than to show other people how to do it.... in what is doubtless the most dangerous fashion imaginable.

So yes, THAT was pointless & stupid. If his point REALLY was that he wanted to show other people how to deal with a rattlesnake properly and safely, he would have said “so we are going to just give this guy about 10 feet of room so he can calm down and go on his way.“

14-May-21
I get people wanting to remove dangerous snakes from their home and work environments. I’ll trust their judgement is sound in moving or killing as it’s always subjective to that persons environment. It’s also nice to see people care about wildlife and reject the kill everything mentality.I wasn’t always that way myself and grew into it with age and experience. Helping wildlife thrive and trying not to use chemicals and keeping things in balance is a fun challenge. Personally I only kill mice and rats anymore as I have enough land to relocate everything else.

14-May-21
The snake wasn't near his property or pets etc.So now if you don't kill every snake you see you are an anti and virtue signaling! Typical response.

14-May-21
Guess I need to clarify.........................................when I used the term "virtue signaling" I was referring to those SLM folks who don;t see the need to kill any venomous snakes and look down their noses at those of us who do! ;-)

14-May-21
if we are going to justify killing snakes anytime we want, just because they might bite someone

then use this logic

about 5 people die from snake bites each year, 7-8,000 bites

On average, there are between 175 and 200 fatalities and over 10,000 injuries every year caused by deer accidents

therefore we need to kill every year we can, anytime you see one, kill it ........... because maybe it'll be the cause of someone dying in the future

argue that

14-May-21
Nope...nope...ur completely right. Discussion over. Settled forever, onto the next thing....

14-May-21
"Some of you need to think twice before spouting off about how killing snakes isn’t being a good conservationist or sportsman. The same argument can easily be used for mountain lion, black bear, grizzly, bobcat, fox, wolf, or any other fur bearer."

Only if you're reeeeally reaching for some reason to keep arguing about why you kill snakes, LOL...

14-May-21
Easy enough to just walk around one...

15-May-21
I shoot every one I can on our antelope ranch in NM. Don't see many here in KS.

15-May-21
An anecdote for thread perspective: I live in rural VA. Lots of people kill any snake onsite. I know scores of these folks and a very few are hunters. Drawing a correlation, it seems the more you are consumptively engaged in nature, the more non-target critters have a chance to live in peace.

Rut Nut, you have suffered an ORDEAL, sir, and, for that I am sorry. However, statistically speaking, you got struck by lightning. Actually, your particular snake bite circumstances are many factors rarer compared to the odds of getting struck by lightning. Because you don't strike as a fellow who hides under his covers in a thunderstorm, I don't think you will let yourself get to be a "kill on sight" kind of fellow. You may really feel that now (who could blame you?), but I'm willing to bet logic will overcome the visceral disposition.

15-May-21
“ In my state you have to have a permit and there's a season on rattlers. Yet folks kill them with out a permit or in season. Is that poaching??”

I’m going to assume that that is a purely rhetorical question.

No question that what RutNut went through was a horror show... but isn’t part of the reason that we do all of this just that we would like to get out of our every day perfectly safe, routine right and remind ourselves that we are capable of taking care of ourselves in circumstances under which some care must actually be taken? And yes, that is paraphrasing John Geirach. If you want a guaranteed safe environment, stay home. And for God’s sake whatever you do DO NOT DRIVE to your destinations.

“ Some of you need to think twice before spouting off about how killing snakes isn’t being a good conservationist or sportsman. The same argument can easily be used for mountain lion, black bear, grizzly, bobcat, fox, wolf, or any other fur bearer.”

No, it really can’t, because furbearers are taken for their furs. Bears and mountain lions are generally pretty tasty and the furs are just a bonus. Some people say mountain lion is better than any other wild meat. I hope to test that someday myself, but I’m willing to take their word for it.

If a non-threatened/abundant species is taken for its meat or its hide or because it is a threat to human safety or someone’s ability to make a living, there is absolutely zero rational reason not to take it.

In that video clip, Our Hero gave absolutely no reason for killing that snake other than to show other people how to do it.... in what is doubtless the most dangerous fashion imaginable.

So yes, THAT was pointless & stupid. If his point REALLY was that he wanted to show other people how to deal with a rattlesnake properly and safely, he would have said “so we are going to just give this guy about 10 feet of room so he can calm down and go on his way.“

15-May-21
Wow! I have to admit that I actually agree with GF yaself on this one. NO reason to kill that snake in that setting. Did not dig watching that knucklehead kill that snake. I would hope that there aren't a few 12/13 year old kids that watched that and are thinking about giving that a go next time they see a snake. Train wreck waiting to happen.

15-May-21
I live in rattlesnake heaven. We have lost numerous dogs and cats in the years I have lived here. My parents were both bit yet neither went to the doctor and probably should have. Instead got on antibiotic to fight the infection that occurs with many snakebites. And I know antibiotics do nothing as far as venom but the infection that can follow can be nearly as bad. My daughter was bitten by a green mojave and nearly died. She was air evaced out. Having said that I won't kill one unless it is in my yard or livestock areas.

15-May-21
To be honest, I was rooting for the snake.

15-May-21
Another one of those “flip a word” statements....

15-May-21
I think some of you completely missed my point. Yes, lots of us use the meat and hide from predators and fur bearers. Some just want the hide. I see no problem in this at all. Just don’t judge others for wanting to kill snakes. We don’t know if he skinned the snake out after the video or ate the meat.

My point is, how many of us have been judged by an anti hunter about shooting big game? Sure we use the meat but in their eyes it doesn’t matter. We could just let that poor elk or deer live out it’s life and get our meat from the store. Or eat the veggie stuff that “tastes” like meat. Lol I would never kill a venomous snake the way he did. I would shoot it

16-May-21
Thank you Owl! I know my situation was pretty much a worse case scenario, and very rare, however as I have talked to people about my ordeal I have been surprised at the number who have had close calls with Timber Rattlers. And when questioned, more than half of those people said the snake did NOT rattle! So their encounters could have very easily gone bad.

I honestly hope I never see another Timber Rattler, but as much time as I spend in the outdoors, that seems very unlikely.

I had a strange thing happen on Thursday- after spending most of my lunch break reading and posting to this thread, my leg/foot started really bothering me. By 2:30 it was throbbing and I was experiencing shooting nerve pain and even some swelling. I had not felt pain like this in almost 2 years. And I couldn’t explain it, since I had done nothing physical (out of the ordinary) that would have precipitated it. After a few hours it hit me.........................the so called mind/body connection! I had been so focused on the subject, that subconsciously the memories and pictures of my ordeal must have triggered a physiological response-amazing! By the next morning things were back to normal(for me)

So what is “logical” to me, may not necessarily be logical to you! ;-)

16-May-21
I hate snakes. Period. Rattler, cotton mouth, garden. Don’t matter what it is. However, they don’t bother me I don’t bother them. They wanna tussle well than 38 snake shot it is

17-May-21
Still sounds a lot more like a PETA support group here.... Ahh boo poor little snake. Sniffles sniffles sniffles.

The same reasons given to let the snakes live are the exact same reasons given to ban predator hunting, the same reasons used shut down trapping, etc. Regardless of the end use it is the same argument.

The same whining about the snake being killed probably are donating to the prairie dogs rescue programs as well. After all no reason to shoot pdogs. No reason to kill gophers in your lawn.

Hell they should all be ashamed if they have ever trapped a mouse and killed it.

It is sad everyone gets so upset about the death of a snake which we have no idea where the guy was.... But unless he was clearly violating a law, then why does it matter?

17-May-21
I’m thinking Don Lemon and Anderson Cooper are logged onto the bowsite.

17-May-21
Some friends that had a sheep farm, one of their herders would do this. I never saw him do it myself, but our friends did & said he was pretty crazy, grabbing it by the tail & whipping it. I'll use the shotgun/arrow route myself.

17-May-21
"It is sad everyone gets so upset about the death of a snake which we have no idea where the guy was.... But unless he was clearly violating a law, then why does it matter?"

-Because mankind doesn't act by law; mankind acts nominally by law. The law, in other words, is a low bar. We act best via morality, wisdom and logic. Killing to placate hysteria violates all 3 principals for lots of folks.

17-May-21
Settled forever...on to the next thing...

18-May-21
"Settled forever...on to the next thing..."

Amen. will someone open a thread on baiting so we can settle that one next.

20-May-21
My sons pup was killed by a rattler last week in our yard. I have no remorse for killing a dangerous snake anytime anywhere.

20-May-21
Not vaccinated?

21-May-21
I killed a 6.5 year old buck yesterday that probably would have grown a 160" rack this summer ..... I was afraid it would jump in front of a vehicle and someone would get hurt

yay me !!!!!

sorry - using the same snake killing mentality is all, backed by facts and data showing many many more people are killed/hurt by deer than snakes

21-May-21
The pup was 3 months: I believe that is too young for the vaccine. I’m not sure it would have mattered much. She died within a couple hours. My son saw it happen while he played with her. Really glad it didn’t get him.

• Sitka Gear