KHNC 13-May-21
Slate 13-May-21
kentuckbowhnter 13-May-21
Nick Muche 13-May-21
bentshaft 13-May-21
TREESTANDWOLF 14-May-21
Scott/IL 14-May-21
12-May-21
I got a phone call from a friend last night. He wants to take his father on a bowhunt. He has been talking with Heartland Lodge, apparently in Pike County, Illinois. They don't appear to be listed in the Bowsite Outfitter files, so I started this thread in case anyone has any personal experiences that they would be willing to share, or forward via PM.

12-May-21
Check out the outfitter reviews. Illinois forum had a thread on them. Jake personally I'd tell your friend run away.

12-May-21
X2

12-May-21
I don't have an opinion one way or another but, they're under "Harpoles heartland lodge" in the outfitter reviews.

12-May-21
Is this the Harpole that also runs hunts in KS as well as IL? If so great guy.

12-May-21
They have several thousand acres dedicated to offroad riding. I've been on several trips up there in the spring and fall for group rides. I will say that the lodging you'd be staying in is 5 stars, and its some incredibly beautiful country. I can't speak to the hunting operation though.

12-May-21
Bou, I don't think Edwin is associated with the lodge. At least I don't think he was when I met him in '16. I believe Edwin owns/operates (?) Xtreme Hunts. He's in Pike county also.

12-May-21
Thanks Ed was not sure. Just knew harpole and pike county. Good guy.

12-May-21
Edwin is a very nice guy. My wife and I hunted with his outfit(Extreme Hunts Illinois) for our honeymoon back in 2012. Down to earth dude.

12-May-21
Bou and Gents.

No, it’s not the same Harpole. Edwin owns and runs Xtreme Hunts in ILL and Ks.

He will appreciate the comment Bou!

Rich

13-May-21
Let me suggest my opinion. I have hunted with them.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The lodge is beautiful, the food is outstanding, the hunting is CRAP!!!!!!!!! Very few nice bucks killed and MANY MANY hunters in those camps. I would avoid it by all means. I did see probably the biggest buck of my life at night, on the road back to the lodge. Not on their property. This place is probably the main reason i stopped doing guided whitetail hunts. My trip was a long time ago, but im sure not much has changed, except Illinois deer population is likely much less due to EHD outbreaks since i was there. They hire inexperienced guides and rely on past tv shows and pictures of the Drury's from years ago. Tell him to find a reputable operation, or have him go to Heartland for a duck hunt. Duck hunts there are terrific!!

13-May-21
Kenny hit it in the head. Great advice

13-May-21
pike county is severely overhunted, go somewhere else.

13-May-21
Hunted there many years ago and had a fun time, saw some nice bucks, didn't connect. Wouldn't go back. Hunted Pike County with a Bowsiter on another trip and had the best whitetail hunt ever, that I would do again!

13-May-21
KHNC nailed it. That mirrored my experience several years ago. One of those inexperienced guides picked up my bow and dry fired it while I was putting on my boots. Way over hunted.

14-May-21
Yes, please don’t come to Pike County!

Too many hunters. :^)

14-May-21
It’s a beautiful lodge, and a fun place to spend a weekend ATV riding, but there are probably better outfits in that area to chase bucks.

• Sitka Gear