Mathews Inc.
Anyone grow small burnet in their plots?
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
t-roy 15-May-21
GLP 16-May-21
BullBuster 16-May-21
t-roy 17-May-21
BullBuster 17-May-21
15-May-21
I have a long, narrow ridge line plot that drops off into ravines on both sides, so it doesn’t hold moisture that well. I planted it to small burnet and creeping alfalfa today. If you can get them established, both are supposed to do fairly well with less moisture than clovers or chicory.

My question is, has anyone planted small burnet, what were your results and/or opinions on it?…Thanks

16-May-21
No comments! t-Roy let know how it works.

16-May-21
I’ve done it a couple times. Quite slow to establish. Once set becomes a great plot in years 2 and 3. Stays green through frost. Deer hammer it. Likes nitrogen but that’s a problem because of weeds. I mix with clover. Alfalfa should do trick.

17-May-21
Thanks Keith. I went with alfalfa in the mix because I’m thinking this spot just won’t retain enough moisture that clover would need to flourish, and alfalfa is more drought tolerant. It runs due east-west, so it will basically receive full sunlight all day long. There are also lots of mature trees on both sides of the plot, that will pull a lot of moisture from it as well. Also, as stated above, it is well drained, so, unless we start getting a lot of rain, it will always be way drier than any of my other plots, by far. We have been in a prolonged drought cycle in my area, going on 3 years now. Not by western standards, by any stretch, but we are in extreme drought conditions for our region. Got a nice little shot of rain on it today, with several more chances of rain in the 7 day forecast, as well (but they’ve been lying to me about that for the last two years!) Hopefully, our weather pattern here will change for the better this year.

17-May-21
On one of our really severe drought years a few back the SB did well and perked right up when the rains finally came.

• Sitka Gear